PDA

View Full Version : First Parents visit...Not sure what to think!

JemStar
07-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Hi everyone, I had my first parents visit this afternoon. Little boy, school pick up, maybe a bit more in the holidays as mum is disabled. Parents seem lovely, they have a little girl who is lovely.....but the little boy, was very hyper and parents didn't seem in control:panic: . He played well while here and got on with my little boy (19 mths). As this is my first enquiry and I feel slightly underpressure as I am getting made redundant at the end of March and I was hoping to have work from April, but this is my first enquiry and I feel I don't really have that much of a choice but to take it. They obviously have to want me!!! But I got the impression they wanted to sign contracts there and then! I have another concern, he currently is with a childminder, but there has been problems and it has also been mentioned by the teacher at his school, that he isn't getting on too well. Other CM has only got little ones now and he apparently has been a bit rough with them.
Do I give it ago, as I have the 4 weeks settling in period. To be honest if I had a full time child, I probably wouldn't want to take him on. But I can't afford to be picky:( !! Any advice would be great!

singlewiththree
07-03-2010, 05:20 PM
I would take them on for the settling in period and see how you get on. If it proves to much then you can terminate but at least you have another 4 weeks in the hope something better comes along. I took on the first child that came to me because I was desperate I have since turned loads of financially better ones away and now I may be losing him in July due to mums job change.

Goatgirl
07-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Hi JemStar,
If it was me I'd go for it, as he's not taking up a full time space: don't know how old he is, but even if he's in the EYFS still, you can still take on 2 more if you let ofsted know: they'd change your certificate to allow for it.

As for the behavioural issues, if it was me I'd just try to be ready for him, be very clear about rules (very positive 'we are all nice to each other here'-type ones, and boundaries and stick to them, firmly; but be ready for lots of praise about anything and everything else he does - I have achievement charts with all the great stuff they've done written on as we go along and stickers too (more 'instant' and a great incentive, particularly for younger ones). I have found that children do tend to bahave as you expect them to, so I make a point of expecting excellent behaviour :D.

You can always change your mind if it doesn't work out, so where's the harm?!

bws,
Wendy