PDA

View Full Version : Laptop expenses

Karen88
16-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Hi all
Just wondering can i put my laptop down in my accounts book as its been bought for me by my partner in his name and i paid it back, to use for my business, or how much of it can i claim back.

Regards
Karen

sarah707
16-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Berkschick... hope it helps! :D

I have just looked out my coursework info and this is what it says:-

"Certain equipment cannot be claimed as an expense. Relief is given for wear and tear in the form of capital allowances over a number of years. Capital expenditure needs to be recorded separately from other day to day running costs. Capital expenditure covers anything deemed to be an asset to the business, usually something that has a re-sale value. This tends to be larger items such as a computer, printer, cots, pushchairs, etc.

To calculate capital expenses, you need to record
1, What was bought
2, Date and cost of purchase
3, Proportion of business use
4, Any items sold
5, Date and amounts received if sold

Most equipment attracts a first year allowance (FYA).

FYA works like this.

You buy a computer for £500. FYA on this would be £250 and the residual value would be the remaining £250. The following year you can claim a further 25% of the remaining £250 which would be £62.50. The following year you can claim a further 25% of the remaining amount which would be £46.87 and so on until the item is sold or replaced.

FYA are apportioned for private use."

miffy
16-03-2008, 01:37 PM
If you are an NCMA member there is advice on this in the members handbook on page 102

It also recommends you look at www.hmrc.gov.uk

HTH

Miffy xx

Karen88
16-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Thanks for information concerning laptop
Greatly appreciated
Regards
Karen:laughing: