PDA

View Full Version : Registering as a child minder

EmLouise
06-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Hello all,

I'm sorry if this has already been done!

I am 19 and for the past 2 years have trained to be a Nursery Nurse. I have had 4 years experience with children from 0-8 years old.

I am currently training to be a Social Worker and finding it difficult to find jobs in Nurserys.

I was just wondering if you could tell me how to register being a childminder?

Many thanks,

Emma

tulip0803
06-03-2010, 07:21 PM
If you ring your local Family Information Service (local council's run them) they will tell you the next available breifing session. On the briefing session they will advise you of the process in your area.

You normally have to do a starting childminding course before reg. You have to have CRB checks on yourself & all household members, medical checks & references berfore reg. You have to have the house inspected by OFSTED/CSSIW/Care Commission depending on what country you are in. Some areas you also have to complete first aid before reg other areas within 6 months of reg. It can take anything from around 12weeks to over a year for the reg process to be complete after sending forms in. Some areas you have to do the courses before applying to register. Really depends where you live.

EmLouise
07-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the reply. I havent got my own house, but I notice you have to be qualified to go to peoples houses to look after their children.

Is this the same situation with a course?

Minstrel
07-03-2010, 07:38 PM
do you mean as a nanny?

this is different to cm'ing in that you work for one family in their home and as an employee of theirs. You do not have to be qualified but i believe most families will want experience.

singlewiththree
07-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the reply. I havent got my own house, but I notice you have to be qualified to go to peoples houses to look after their children.

Is this the same situation with a course?

A nanny goes to other peoples houses to look after children. A childminder works from their own home or a rented one. You need the qualification ICP which is a 12 week course, CRB check and First Aid.