PDA

View Full Version : Still worried about planning.

samkeddy
06-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Im going to have my own 2 daughters aged 1 & 2, and a 2year old mindee. I've looked at other posts that say not to have too much planning for under 3's as structered activities arn't great for them, so dont know where to start as i do need to have something decent to show ofsted when i have my first inspection in 6 months. I like other peoples idea's of a yearly plan, then doing weekly plans to meet the individuals needs from this as the yearly plan will be my inspiration full of seasonal ideas etc.

Is 2 planned activites a week enough as i dont want to be forcing the children into loads of planned acivities when they just want freeplay, but dont want to just let them freeplay and not be developing!!!!!!!

Obviously the planned activites will be age appropriate so they will hopefully enjoy them i just dont want to overload them!!!

beccas
06-03-2010, 11:48 AM
dont panic when you come to network on tuesday we will help face to face just fetch a sheet of questions....

but i plan certain activities ,ike messy play for morning, or free play depending on day etc... you are over completcating it i think most of us do at the beginining. so dont worry you are not alone.

samkeddy
06-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks, im sure it'll make more sense when im doing it, just cant stop thinking about it all!!!!!

skytvaddict
06-03-2010, 12:31 PM
I was thinking the same. I have a 1 and 2 year old and have a 17 month old little girl starting Monday (my first). Planning has been worrying me a bit too but I think I may be over complicating it.

I don't think Ofsted will be long in coming to me as I have been Registered since December but only just starting Monday so need something to show them.

I have no idea what she likes yet but "plan" next week to bake cakes and make a pizza, have messy play, go to Music Bugs and go to the park. I also have to make something for mothers day that is age appropriate aaargh! She is coming every afternoon so should just about fit it in! Maybe I am expecting too much?

beccas
06-03-2010, 12:35 PM
you could bake cakes for mothers day let her decorate them with those icing pens then you can fitin free play so you can see what she like doing. Let the lo's lead the play sometimes

Merry-Minder
06-03-2010, 01:14 PM
I dont do any planning, in my head I think 'A' likes baking cakes I think I might do that tomorrow and if its fit then we will if it dosent then we dont.
When I had my Ofsted inspection I explained that to the inspector and also told her that I am very child led. The only kind of planning that I do do is festivals and other calender dates.
I showed the inspector my scrap book of photos showing all the activities we do and she was very happy with this.

Mrs M
06-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Initially find out what she likes to do at home by asking mum to complete an All About Me form. They are young but you may find it helpful for yourself to have a plan for the week. For example, we attend toddler groups in the morning and then in the afternoon an activity is offered and they free play. Think of things like painting, sticking, gloop, outdoor play (weather permitting), mark making etc. Once you have an idea of her likes/dislikes, you'll be better equipped for your planning. Remember, your plans don't have to be set in stone and it's important that the children have choices. Go with the flow and enjoy.

skytvaddict
06-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Sorry for hijacking your post Samkeddy :blush:

Thanks for all the ideas.

I have asked them to fill in a form so I am hoping they bring it Monday

samkeddy
06-03-2010, 04:23 PM
dont worry skytvaddict, im still listening to everyones advice as i havnt planned anything for next week yet!!!!

Is the 'all about me' form something we create ourself? I asked mum what lo likes at first meeting and all she said was mickey mouse, and she just does what she wants! I'm worried ill be planing for nothing in that case!!!!

beccas
06-03-2010, 05:05 PM
for new one s it best to just let her play and lead for the first week at least that way she can be comfortable. then from then from this you should have an idea of what she likes doing.

i never start plaaning for neweys or do eyfs for them until i have had them for 2 weeks sometimes 3

samkeddy
06-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Thanks i feel better now, i think ill just let her settle in, theres plenty to keep her entertained without it been 'planned' for first few weeks.

Mrs M
06-03-2010, 05:27 PM
I devised my own All About Me form. I ask parents to tell me child's likes/dislikes for games, play, food etc. Places they like to go, music they like, comforters they need etc. Also, if they're attending another setting or have attended one, what do/did they enjoy there?
Hope all goes well.

beccas
06-03-2010, 05:28 PM
i have it all on a disk that compile all my planning its so easy to follow and i keep it with their eyfs learning journal.

samkeddy
06-03-2010, 05:44 PM
ok thanks, thats a job for tonight then! i'll try to create my 'all about me' form ready for when she comes to sign contracts on mon then she can give it me back when i gave her wednesday (hopefully):panic:

Chell
06-03-2010, 06:54 PM
ok thanks, thats a job for tonight then! i'll try to create my 'all about me' form ready for when she comes to sign contracts on mon then she can give it me back when i gave her wednesday (hopefully):panic:

Try this - 8 page all about me form (http://www.childmindingnorthants.org.uk/pdfs/Child%20Information%20form.pdf)

samkeddy
06-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Brill thanks! Glad i logged on here before starting it!

skytvaddict
06-03-2010, 09:21 PM
My Development Worker emailed me an "all about me form" to use as a basis for mine - I think it was from the South Gloucestershire web site and I just copied a few bits of it.

I feel much more relaxed about next week now thanks.

doodles
07-03-2010, 08:21 AM
I bought Sarah's e-book on planning for under 3's. Its great :thumbsup:

samkeddy
07-03-2010, 09:50 AM
Ive just ordered that and another one, cant wait to receive them found her website really helpfull!

Cazz
07-03-2010, 11:22 PM
for new one s it best to just let her play and lead for the first week at least that way she can be comfortable. then from then from this you should have an idea of what she likes doing.

i never start plaaning for neweys or do eyfs for them until i have had them for 2 weeks sometimes 3

My mindees all started at the beginning of November and I didn't start any proper planning until the beginning of January. I spent 2 months getting to know them (only have them 1 day a week though) and that's what I'll be telling the inspector!

I did do activities with the 3 year old during those 2 months and took some photos which are in her learning journey, so the inspector can see that we were doing something structured but as I say, nothing down on paper until January.

I'm still trying to get my head round it all - I was over-complicating things as well, especially with the two babies who are both now 11 months (7 months when they started).