PDA

View Full Version : Non- payment/ending contract advice please.

SimplyLucy
06-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Just looking for some advice on the best way to tackle a situation I'm in.

I have a parent that has not paid me for the month of March (I charge in advance). The child is full time so it's a large amount of money.

I was going to wait for payment to land and then give notice, however the payment is no where to be seen and I don't want to drag the notice out any longer.

Should I send a reminder bill and give notice letter with it?

I'm with the NCMA, will they still fight for the payment even if I give notice?

I've rung the NCMA legal line and I'm awaiting a call back but wondered if you wonderful people had any advice in the mean time?

caz3007
06-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Its always a worry about what to do for the best. Have the parents not said whats happening and what they intend to do about the missing payment. Cant you come to agreement where they pay a bit extra each week until March is sorted, or is no arrangment forthcoming.

SimplyLucy
06-03-2010, 10:41 AM
No arrangment has been made, I have mentioned the payment twice this week, the first time (thursday) I was told she was too busy and had to go to the horses to do the bank transfer.

Friday - was told "I'll try and do your payment tonight"

Well nothing is there and I've just watched them go away for the weekend now (neighbours)

angeldelight
06-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Been in situations like this before

You live and learn - last time my parent did it I told her I would have to suspend childcare till she paid me ( I would not have done that although I was very tempted :laughing: )

It worked !!! She needed the childcare she had no one else to look after her child so she came up with the money double quick

Not sure giving her notice is a great idea when she owes you so much - it might take ages to get the money if that is the case even with the help of NCMA

Would it be worth asking her to visit you for a meeting so you can have a chat and sort something out so you can get your money - a whole month is a lot a few more weeks and she is going to be needing to pay you for April too

I would not let this continue

Has she given you heaps of excuses ?

How can she bring her child for a whole month and expect not to pay

Annoying and I feel for you

Angel xx

madredann
06-03-2010, 10:53 AM
From past experience I would always hold out until I have received money there is nothing worse than having worked for no pay. Is the child still attending your setting at the mo? I would probably ask what their intentions are e.g realistically when am I going to be paid and when that time comes expect to be paid. It is tricky once you say you will not work until paid not sure if they would be in breech of contract for not paying on time(depends what is written on contract) or you would be in breech for withdrawing service I would wait to be paid then give them letter of termination but state in the letter that you require pay at beginning of April for month or take it weekly so long as you are paid in advance and are not going to be in this position again

doodles
06-03-2010, 11:06 AM
No arrangment has been made, I have mentioned the payment twice this week, the first time (thursday) I was told she was too busy and had to go to the horses to do the bank transfer.

Friday - was told "I'll try and do your payment tonight"

Well nothing is there and I've just watched them go away for the weekend now (neighbours)

:angry: I would have gone out and asked for it!! Dont they ever care you have bills to pay :mad:

Pipsqueak
06-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Think i would take the bull by the horns - give her a call and say unless FULL payment is with you by start of business Monday morning then you have no alternative but to suspend childcare and you will be adding late charges on from that date.

Yes NCMA will still support you even though you have terminated the contract - that is actually what they advise you to do

Merry-Minder
06-03-2010, 12:54 PM
I know NCMAs advice is that your not allowed to stop care - but I say its my business and if I havent been paid then im not working.
I had a parent the other week argue advance payment and I stuck to my guns and told her if you dont pay me on the day agreed in the contract then I will not accept your child into my care until it is paid.
How rude to fob you off with doing the horses or any other lame excuse - get the money first and then whack her (not literally lol) with notice!! That'll teach her!!

Good luck

auntym
06-03-2010, 01:12 PM
I understand that the NCMA dont recommend you withdraw your services, BUT personally, if i had a parent that didnt pay, i would have no hesitation in advising that if payment not made i cannot provide care, As my arguament is, if your not getting paid, how do they expect you to pay for food, outings, treats, crafts for that child.
Its takin the mik, in my opinion.
Its really unfair when they let you down like this, its one of my personal dislikes, if i dont let a parent down, and i dont, then why is it ok for them to let you down like this?
:blush:
hope you sort it hon xxxx

Chatterbox Childcare
06-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Think i would take the bull by the horns - give her a call and say unless FULL payment is with you by start of business Monday morning then you have no alternative but to suspend childcare and you will be adding late charges on from that date.

Yes NCMA will still support you even though you have terminated the contract - that is actually what they advise you to do

I agree and I would have the termination letter and account ready to hand over Monday. If you receive payment I would just write it on the bill.

SimplyLucy
06-03-2010, 03:07 PM
I have done a new invoice for the overdue account, a letter of termination stating the final day of care and costs due.

The letter is about to be signed then put in an envelope then I'm off next door to put it though the letter box.

I charge in advance so when I get my payment it will cover the 4 weeks notice apart from 2 days worth.

If the payment doesn't happen I shall make use of the NCMA and fight it all the way.

I have a feeling there might be a kick off tomorrow when they arrive home from their weekend away. If they do kick off then I will seek emergency advice from the NCMA and withdraw childcare instantly due to my safety and the safety of others in my care.

caz3007
06-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Hope all goes well Lucy. Its a difficult situation with it being a neighbour as well, I would be fed up that they have managed to afford to go away for the weekend, but not pay for their childminder.

As you have terminated, I assume its not the first time you have had trouble

The Juggler
07-03-2010, 11:09 AM
I hope it goes well hon. x

karen m
07-03-2010, 03:17 PM
had parent last week tell me she would pay me when she got paid from a client ,said "don't worry your not the only one i haven't paid" she has a income paid job and is self employed accountant,to me i would pay out of income ,again when asked told me she had been unable to speak to her client as she had been away for the weekend ,i wish i could just go away without paying bills:angry:

SimplyLucy
07-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Well the letter is sat on their door mat. :eek:

I'm dreading them getting home, have invited friends over for a BBQ to keep busy!

SimplyLucy
08-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Well the strangest thing has happened.

Child was delivered with a cheque this morning and the mum was very jolly and chatty. She told me they had internet issues over the weekend. Really annoyed I got a cheque and I'm not getting over excited about being paid in case it bounces. :panic:

Both parents collected this evening and never mentioned my letter.

I'm wondering if they have even opened it......it's all very strange.

Twinkles
08-03-2010, 06:38 PM
They're probably expecting you to change your mind about the termination as they've now paid.

If you still want to go ahead and terminate get them to sign something or they could deny that you gave them a termination letter.

~Chelle~
08-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Hmmm maybe she thought that you dont really mean it and just wanted your payment.

I would wait until the cheque clears and then remind them of your letter :D