PDA

View Full Version : adhd

little daisies
05-03-2010, 08:45 PM
i`ve got a little boy 6yrs starting soon with adhd. has anyone got a form of something i could look at for details of how mum restrains him when hes having a wobbly and which also gives me permission to do the same if you know what i mean. help would be appreciated:idea:

beccas
05-03-2010, 08:54 PM
omg he needs restraining surley not that bad,,,,,...... i have 3 lo with adhd one at 6 one at 8 andmine at 9 they all are adhd none need restraining one on medication one waiting for doc to give him next step.

Hebs
05-03-2010, 08:58 PM
my son has ADHD and i dont need to restrain him, would go mad if anyone did :thumbsup:

be firm fair but CONSISTANT the good old saying of.... give an inch they take a mile really isnt a figure of speech with ADHD kids :laughing: they can smell weakness a mile off :D

i love providing care for adhd kids, hard work but oh so rewarding :D

beccas
05-03-2010, 09:07 PM
i agree herbs i use time out using a egg timer 3 warning then time out. i respect their situation but i expalinthat i need to be respected bakc and if we both show each respect we wil be fine, just sit down with him alone and set some daily goals.

Hebs
05-03-2010, 09:12 PM
i agree herbs i use time out using a egg timer 3 warning then time out. i respect their situation but i expalinthat i need to be respected bakc and if we both show each respect we wil be fine, just sit down with him alone and set some daily goals.

:panic:
you renamed me?????? :laughing:

beccas
05-03-2010, 09:16 PM
:blush: yes i like this name better :laughing: :laughing: sori fingers got mind of their own eating galaxy at same time...

Hebs
05-03-2010, 09:21 PM
:blush: yes i like this name better :laughing: :laughing: sori fingers got mind of their own eating galaxy at same time...

:laughing:

but back to the original post...... if his behaviour is that bad you will have to consider the impact on your other mindees :thumbsup:

but generally i find that adhd kids thrive where there are clear boundries and set consequenses :D

Pipsqueak
05-03-2010, 10:08 PM
be very very clear on restraining this child - even with permission. Write it down exactly how you are going to do it.

There are guidelines saying that we should be trained in using restraint methods - as much to protect ourselves as the child.

have a look at Safer working Practices for Adults working with children document DCSF

Heaven Scent
05-03-2010, 11:20 PM
i've worked with children with ADHD and have never restrained one yet - I just chose to ignore the unacceptable behaviour.

I did however have a child in a class of 22 girls who did have to be carried into class but that was a very ling time ago before the terms ADHD or ADD were known to the masses and she had other issues as well (but I was never told what they were - her sister and brothers displayed the same unacceptable behaviour but the one day she lost it and went wild in my classroom - long story but it resulted in the whole family being excluded from the school and that was a lot because it was an orthodox jewish school which was the centre of the community and was used by the whole community for all sorts of things including the synagogue.

To me therefore restraining is foreign and if this child does need restraining then i feel he/she needs one to one very specific care :panic: :panic:

little daisies
06-03-2010, 09:02 AM
thanks for the imput i`ve looked after adhd children before and never had any problems, just that when mum came round the other day she said ometimes they have to restrain him but he is between medication changes a nd a bit all over the place at the mo think i`m worrying a bit over nothing