PDA

View Full Version : Fees (need to know ASAP)

Chell
05-03-2010, 10:41 AM
I've posted this in the fees section but I'm not sure that everyone looks there and I need to know ASAP so I can let the Mum know.

What do you charge at weekends and do you reduce it for siblings?

I've been asked to do one off weekend for a 3yr old and his 6yr old sister. I will be minding the 3yr during the week but the weekend is a one off.

I don't know what to charge. My normal rate is £3.75.

Hebs
05-03-2010, 10:43 AM
time and half, no reduction for siblings x

Mouse
05-03-2010, 10:49 AM
I used to charge double time when I did the odd weekend and I give a small discount for siblings.

If your rate is £3.75, double would be £7.50 p/h per child, so £15 per hour for both of them. I would probably charge a minimum of £13.50 per hour.

How many hours do they want you for and what are you prepared to work for for the day?

Think about how much the total would be with no discounts, how much you are willing to do it for, and go for somewhere in between.

caz3007
05-03-2010, 10:52 AM
I have a new mum starting with me who may need the odd saturday for the mindie and her older dd who is in my sons class.

I usually charge £6 per hour for sats, but feel that £12 is a bit much for two children, so will be watching this thread, to see what others say

Chell
05-03-2010, 10:53 AM
I feel awful asking for so much! It would be 9-1ish and I'd be collecting them/dropping off.

I think I will say £10 per hour. I want a reasonable amount as we are usually out and about so will spend more than normal. It also means I can't plan anything for the whole day Saturday or Sunday.

I hate asking for money, I'll text her rather than ask face to face then she doesn't need to be embarressed if she doesn't want me to do it. :blush:

Blaze
05-03-2010, 10:55 AM
You shouldn't be embarrassed - it's an unsociable time! x

Pauline
05-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Once you have decided on a fee, sit back and think "will I be happy with that amount for giving up my time off?" if you feel the answer is no, put it up, if you feel happy then go with it.

Only you know your true feelings, you can't lie to yourself if you stop, sit and think quietly about it. :thumbsup:

Don't let guilt cloud your decision, do what you are happy with.

beccas
05-03-2010, 11:08 AM
i charge £25 per day normal fees and £3 per hour but sats are £30 for 5 hours work 10am till 3pm any before that is £5 per hour. hope that helps i never give sibling discounts as they dont get 2nd rate care.

little chickee
05-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Saturdays for me are double time and no discount for siblings. Might sound a lot but i have 3 kids and my weekends off are precious so if i am going to work it needs to be worth my while

Goatgirl
05-03-2010, 12:47 PM
... Think I'd need at least to earn £50 before I'd consider giving up part of my Saturday, so I'd go for £12 an hour and charge extra if I had my own children with me and was going out and about, so that the mindees could have whatever mine were having (to cover lunch, treats etc).

It's really whatever you will be happy with... she may ask you to do it again, so you don't want to be 'stuck' with a low price for it and end up feeling resentful. If she doesn't want to pay the unsocciable rates, she isn't obliged to take you up on them, so no need to feel guilty :).

good luck :thumbsup:

Jelly Baby
05-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Hi i was going to ask the same as my current parent has asked for a possible permanent saturday but every other one. I thought about double pay so mine would be £8-60 (would make it £8-50) an hour.. i think!..it's hard knowing if you are doing the right thing or not at times!
Good luck x

Mollymop
05-03-2010, 12:53 PM
I would charge double time if it were me and no reduction for siblings.

But do what you feel comfortable with - but don't feel guilty charging them so much - it is your Saturday

Blaze
05-03-2010, 12:59 PM
I would charge double time if it were me and no reduction for siblings.

But do what you feel comfortable with - but don't feel guilty charging them so much - it is your Saturday

That's what I charge - though I have been know to charge time & a half too(in th past & REALLY needed the money).

nikim
05-03-2010, 02:35 PM
remember to make it worth your while and not hers , if you make it too cheap she may ask you to do it again , (and again and again) , and before you know it you cant get out of it and end up working every weekend :panic: , if she needs you that badly she will pay what ever you decide i wouldnt do it for less than £15 an hour for both of them

Chell
05-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Thanks everyone, I stuck with £10 for both of them in the end. I didn't feel I could ask for more, if it was a stranger it would be easier to ask for more. :laughing: It is possibly a one off but might happen again if Mum/Dads weekend to work fall on the same weekend. It wouldn't be more than 1 in 3.

i charge £25 per day normal fees and £3 per hour but sats are £30 for 5 hours work 10am till 3pm any before that is £5 per hour. hope that helps i never give sibling discounts as they dont get 2nd rate care.

Being nosey but why is your hourly rate so low? Is that the rate in your area. I though being around £3.75 per hour here was one of the lowest rates.

mama2three
05-03-2010, 09:04 PM
no, its the going rate here too:(