PDA

View Full Version : When a child in your care has an accident..

Jelly Baby
04-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Do you clean them up? know it may sound a silly question but a friend of mine has had an issue today with her child where at school he has not been cleaned up and sent home..not sure of the full picture but just wanted to check the rules for us as CM?
Thanks

sarah707
04-03-2010, 10:18 PM
You put the child first... so yes you clean them up and respect their privacy and protect their dignity.

The school are out of order to send a child home unclean. That's awful :(

Trouble
04-03-2010, 10:20 PM
i agree with sarah:thumbsup:

Jelly Baby
04-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Good thought so! i could't imagine leaving a child wet/dirty tbh it's just normal instinct to do the above isn't it.

I was under the impression with schools there are 2 ways of doing it and not sure which is right..a mindee i had who always wet would come out with a bag of wet clothes so they had obviously changed her..which is good. BUT then there is the other side where parents are called in to change their own child.

Probey9
04-03-2010, 10:24 PM
That poor child, I would definately clean them up an be speaking to the parents.

Jelly Baby
04-03-2010, 10:26 PM
That poor child, I would definately clean them up an be speaking to the parents.

Do you mean teachers not parents?

Pipsqueak
04-03-2010, 10:27 PM
As a minder I would always clean a child up.

My son is going to kill me if he knows i have put this on - 2yrs ago (he was 7) he got a gippy tummy very unexpectedly and had an accident. Of course he was mortified but the school dealt with it brilliantly, cleaned him up and changed him and sent for me.

I can't imagine just leaving a child but I know some schools that do:(

little chickee
05-03-2010, 09:51 AM
My playgroup ( ages 3-4) will not clean a child after an accident. The child is left dirty and the parent is called however long that may take. They told us that this is what they had been told to do by their superiors but i dont beleive them I just think they dont want to do it themselves which is very wrong.

If a child in my care has an accident i clean them up and change into clean clothes. There is no other option in my opinion.

solly
05-03-2010, 09:57 AM
I agree with sarah and would always clean a child up

caz3007
05-03-2010, 10:48 AM
I always clean up a child and couldnt bear to leave them.

My DS is 7 too and he wet himself a while ago....they had a relief teacher and then there was a queue for the loo. The TA found him clothes and got him sorted, she was brilliant about it too, I said I had popped some spares in his pe bag just in case but unlikely to happen again

Tatjana
05-03-2010, 10:52 AM
I think it's awful for the child to be left like that, so not right.

xx

Blaze
05-03-2010, 10:55 AM
You put the child first... so yes you clean them up and respect their privacy and protect their dignity.

The school are out of order to send a child home unclean. That's awful :(

Totally agree - poor LO!:angry:

MissTinkerbell
05-03-2010, 11:04 AM
I would always clean up no questions.

However please don't jump to conclusions with the school. When my DD was in reception she came home soiled. Having had a similar situation myself with a child in my class who had messed himself and never actually told anyone - he wasn't smelly so none of us noticed it, I asked her if she had told Mrs B, the teacher or Mrs A the TA. She said no. I had a quiet word the next morning and they hadn't been aware either. DD2 is also the same - she hates using toilet and is often solied although not usually at preschool - they are now aware of her 'signs' and look out for it.

ziggy
05-03-2010, 11:08 AM
As a childminder i always clean the children after accidents, one of my parents works an hours drive away!!!!

But the LEA nursery where i worked 6 years ago wouldnt clean a child and would call the parent to come out. Not surprisingly one parent took her child away to a private nursery when her child had his 3rd accident.

Lady Haha
05-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Do you mean teachers not parents?

I think she meant she would be telling the parents what happened, so that the parents could speak to the teachers.

Jelly Baby
05-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Good replys..exactly what i'e do!..in regards to this child, it is a friends child so no idea how they deal with things as dont use the same school but just wondered.
misstinkerbell dh said the same last night in that he may have not been noticed depending on when it happened.
Just got me thinking who on earth would leave a poor child like that.

michellethegooner
05-03-2010, 01:03 PM
would never leave a child dirty, I have had it several times in 1 day from 1 child :eek: and she was cleaned up every time. the school may not have been aware the child had an accident my ds school are very good when he had an accident a few yrs ago he was cleaned up, given a clean set of clothes and I was called for him

Mollymop
05-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Poor child! I hope it was just an accident before he came out of school and they were unaware and not their policy! How can they leave a child dirty - wet and sore and smelling! Not to mention leavign wet patches everywhere. Poor little one:( :( :( :(

Curly Quavers
07-03-2010, 03:38 PM
I would be appalled if my girls were left like that! I would complain to the Care Commission for sure. If we left a child filthy becuase of an accident I would fully expect a knock at the door becuase we wouldn't be caring for them properly. :angry: that makes me mad

karen m
07-03-2010, 03:47 PM
have cleaned and changed children,would not cross my mind to leave them,poor mites,how uncomfortable,1 child i have often has accidents to engrossed in playing
my grandson told me he had accident at pre school when i asked why he had not gone toilet told me he was concentrating on drawing lol

francinejayne
07-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Ooh interesting thread - I have written it specifically in my policies and I have also got a specific permission form to say I will wash/bathe the child if required and change their clothes. The reason I have done this is because I know of a CM who had a 4 year old in her care who soiled himself. She said that in order to protect herself from allogations she couldn't clean him up, so he had to struggle to try and do it himself (she did offer him the use of her shower but he doesn't normally have a shower so declined). The mum was livid that she didn't help him and she terminated the contract immediately.
I understand this situation from both parties - though I think it is sad that we have to think about having to protect ourselves from allogations, but I guess that's the society we live in. :(

Gizmo
07-03-2010, 09:04 PM
I will always clean up a child if needed. My dd went through a phase in her pre school year that she wouldnt tell the teachers if she had been for a poo and didnt wipe properly :panic:

babs
07-03-2010, 09:23 PM
i would clean up and do clean up.. as someone said its written into my policys to protect myself..... its disgracful the school left a child like this...

Cazz
07-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Poor child - I don't know how anyone could leave a child when they've had an accident.

My little 11 mth old mindee had a loose nappy on Friday and it had gone right up his back (sorry! :blush: ) so I had to strip him off and put a clean vest and t-shirt on. When his mum collected him I said I've got a nice bag of clothes there for you - she replied "Oh I thought you were going to say a bag of dirty nappies!".

She used to work at a nursery and they weren't allowed to throw away the nappies - they had to put them in a bag and hang them on the child's peg for parents to take home (even soiled ones!) :eek: Imagine the smell if several children had done them in the morning!

Mrs Book
07-03-2010, 10:31 PM
I'd clean a child up and never leave them. My mindee bends over sticks her bum in the air & shouts poooooooooooooooo at me.

Even now my two are 6 & 4 if they have poorly tummies then still ask me to wipe their bottoms.

I know playgroups have different policies and so do nurseries on cleaning up children. Playgroup I worked in, we weren't allowed to change a childed who had pood. We had to phone mum to come & do it.

Cazz
07-03-2010, 10:40 PM
I know playgroups have different policies and so do nurseries on cleaning up children. Playgroup I worked in, we weren't allowed to change a childed who had pood. We had to phone mum to come & do it.

Well that's really convenient if mum is at work :rolleyes: Absolutely ridiculous!!