PDA

View Full Version : Playground etiquette

venus89
04-03-2010, 06:13 PM
There are 2 childminders who pick up from my school - myself and another - and we have very different approaches to waiting in the playground for the children to come out. I keep minded children with me (no littlies of my own) and don't allow them to run around. The other childminder lets hers run around. She is technically always within earshot of them but certainly can't always see them.

What do you do - do you expect your litytlies to stand and wait or do you let them go off and play with the other children?

little miss chatterbox
04-03-2010, 06:16 PM
i expect mine to stand with me. It's caused problems with 2 of my schoolies but I only pick them up/drop them off one day a week so they just have to live with it!

mama2three
04-03-2010, 06:16 PM
no - i feel sorry for my ds and mindee sometimes when we are waiting for her older brother - every other child runs off but i keep them in a small area in front of me where i can see them and am close enough if one trips or something. Plus the teacher wont let the older child out til she sees me , which she cant do if im running down the field somewhere after the others.

balloon
04-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Mine have to stay with me at all times.

Mouse
04-03-2010, 06:18 PM
I'm the same as you. My cm friend & I stand together in the playground. Her mindees run off, mine stay with me. She's happy to have them running around, but I like to be able to see all of them at the same time!

TheBTeam
04-03-2010, 06:20 PM
I do not let mine go off and play in the morning or the evening simply because i do not want the hassle of dealing with any fallings over when i am dropping off or collecting. I do not like the idea that i may get distracted when a child comes out of school and i look away from the mindees or if a teacher comes out to speak to me and i have to face away, so it is better if they stay with me just in case they run off in different directions too!

If we are staying behind because of dd or ds dt doing an outside after school football session then we will if the weather is nice stay and watch and then allow the older ones to play on the low level trail which is to the side of the field.

cher25
04-03-2010, 06:36 PM
I try to keep the children standing with me, but they don't listen to a word i say and continue to run around.

singlewiththree
04-03-2010, 06:43 PM
I let mine play on the trim trail while I watch and wait for my own DD who is always about 10 minutes later than the whole school! The little ones stay in the pushchair or with me its the schoolies I pick up who go and play.

LisaH
04-03-2010, 06:46 PM
I always keep mine close by too:)

Gizmo
04-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Mine stay beside me too, I do let dd and mindee who I am taking to school go and play before the bell rings but any pre schoolers stay with me :thumbsup:

venus89
04-03-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm so glad you all keep yours with you too! I feel mean sometimes when the just 3 year old I mind really wants to play with his preschool mates and I tell him no. But they go where the adults can't see them and get in the way of the older children coming out of schoola nd the parents trying to pick up.....

Curly Quavers
04-03-2010, 08:24 PM
stand with me nicely if they can't stand nicely they either have to hold my hand be picked up (if I only have 1 at the time) or have to wear reins. I will usually give then a choice of the 3 (I guess some might think I am a little hard on them)

I think if you give them an inch in situations like that they take a mile.

wendywu
04-03-2010, 08:26 PM
They can play only if they are where i can see them in front of me.:)

little_gems
04-03-2010, 08:43 PM
mind do go off and play but i can see them at all times and they no that once the bell rings they have to come back and stand with me.

LisaMcNally09
04-03-2010, 09:02 PM
My 2yo mindee stands holding my hand. My ds goes to play in the front of his classroom where i can see him.

Yesterday mindee asked if he could go run around the playground and i explained He needed to stand with me as his mummy wouldnt be pleased if I lost him. He came out with "oh Lisa Im sure mummy wouldnt mind...she'd quite like the rest!!":D

That is why I do this job!:D

venus89
04-03-2010, 09:09 PM
My 2yo mindee stands holding my hand. My ds goes to play in the front of his classroom where i can see him.

Yesterday mindee asked if he could go run around the playground and i explained He needed to stand with me as his mummy wouldnt be pleased if I lost him. He came out with "oh Lisa Im sure mummy wouldnt mind...she'd quite like the rest!!":D

:laughing: oh bless

peanuts
04-03-2010, 09:14 PM
i stand in the same place all the time so the mindees know where i am, they put their bags in the line and play in front of me, never running off, at home time they all wait beside me till they all come out.

Wendy Woo
04-03-2010, 09:18 PM
mine do go off and play but only in places where i can see them at all times and as the door opens they r called back and stay with me till we r out of school

Jelly Baby
04-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Hmm interesting you should put as was wondering the same. I have 3/4 mindees come out each day to me..3 of them are good as gold and one isn't and he's getting worse. I used to let him run off so he could play with his friends as his brother is always the last one out and we can be stood for 15 mins..but he decided to start going as far as possible and on the field where i was not going to take small children so i started saying no. When he comes out now he throws his bags on the floor and then runs off..I have had words with him and parents but today he was having none of it..he wandered off with me shouting his name and he completely ignored me..after about 6 calls he stood with me unwillingly. Lat week he ran off to the top of the path..while i was panicking about him i had to keep an eye on a reception child coming ou so couldn't split myself..nightmare it was.. I will be having words with daddy tommorow..again!

bexcee
04-03-2010, 10:44 PM

:laughing: bless him how cute! Hope you wrote it down!

bexcee
04-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Hmm interesting you should put as was wondering the same. I have 3/4 mindees come out each day to me..3 of them are good as gold and one isn't and he's getting worse. I used to let him run off so he could play with his friends as his brother is always the last one out and we can be stood for 15 mins..but he decided to start going as far as possible and on the field where i was not going to take small children so i started saying no. When he comes out now he throws his bags on the floor and then runs off..I have had words with him and parents but today he was having none of it..he wandered off with me shouting his name and he completely ignored me..after about 6 calls he stood with me unwillingly. Lat week he ran off to the top of the path..while i was panicking about him i had to keep an eye on a reception child coming ou so couldn't split myself..nightmare it was.. I will be having words with daddy tommorow..again!

Sounds like he is a bit of a handful and is testing you to see what he can get away with. Speaking to his dad and getting him to back you up is a good idea.

Pipsqueak
04-03-2010, 10:50 PM
I don't actually take any littlies to school but my schoolies - youngest age 5 and his brother age 7 like to go of and have a play. Child age 7 can take an eternity to come out of school sometimes - as he forgets his bag, coat, shoes (yes shoes), homework, pe bag, that he is at club..... he is a VERY dreamy forgetful child and it can take us up to half an hour to get out of the playground (although me and teacher are working on this).

little brother is my active so him and my son go and play on the stage - i can see and hear them and they have strict instruction what they can and can't do.

Jelly Baby
04-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Hi thanks..yeah he's not too bad most of the time but when he is he does push his luck.
I have had him since the day i started (4+ yrs and 1st mindee) and so feel i can treat him like one of my own etc in a way as he's very at ease with me as i am him but it does take daddy talking to him before he tones it down a bit! I have to go and see him tommorow so will bring it up then face to face as never see him after school.
funny thing is one of my mindees said she remembered the first time she came to my house this morning and we talked about that..she said sh loved it at my house! this LO then said the same and said he was my first child and loved playing at mine and wishes mummy would send him to me in the holidays! lol so i thought that was really sweet..changed my mind come 3.30pm!!

georgie456
05-03-2010, 07:30 AM
I let mine go off and play. They all go onto the playground on the school field and I always stand in the same place with other cm's so they know where we are. I would feel too mean making them stand with me while lots of other chidren are off playing.

LeanneC
05-03-2010, 12:21 PM
I try to keep the children standing with me, but they don't listen to a word i say and continue to run around.

Ha ha my 2 yr old dd does this but I always rein her in when they start to come out of school. She will be starting nursery at my local school so she has little friends she runs around with in the playground. I have tried to stop her but I feel mean...she's only making friends and she always comes back when i shout her which is good...lol apart from twice she tested the boundries but she realsied what she did :mad: when she saw my face after chasing her lol

oh forgot to say the other two boys i have are in the buggy so not a problem yet. :thumbsup:

mushpea
05-03-2010, 12:29 PM
In the mornings they can run around but its in an area where i can see them all the time and they are 6 and 4, they 2yrold and 1yrold stay in the pram, after school they must stay with me as its much busy with the bigger ones coming out of school
they know they must stay within the area i tell them and if they go further on in the afternoons if they run off then they are made to hold the pram untill we leave.

Mollymop
05-03-2010, 12:34 PM
MIne stand with me if they are unschool age, the older ones are allowed to speak to to friends, etc but as long as I can see them - they are not allowed to run off!

MissTinkerbell
05-03-2010, 01:11 PM
If we are on the Reception playground my 2 schoolies are allowed to go and play as its only a small playground and my under 5s have to stay with me. However if we are waiting for DD1 on the KS1 playground they are only allowed to play in front of me or on the snake, as this playground is twice the size and full of parents and other children.

AliceK
05-03-2010, 01:33 PM
My 4yr old mindee probably thinks I'm a right witch. I will not let him run off up the alleyways with my DS on the school run and neither will I let him run off when we are in the playground. I've tried to explain to him that I have to be able to see him at all times but he doesn't understand and he started to wander off into the woods on the school grounds. The children are not allowed in there anyway but more importantly I can't see him and I'm paranoid about him falling and hurting himself whilst out of my sight. So he had a stern speaking to and is now made to wait with me. I recognise that I'm probably a very strict CM in a lot of ways. I'm afraid it's my way and it's not up for discussion :laughing:

xxxxxxxx

The Juggler
05-03-2010, 01:57 PM
I don't let them run off and play until they are actually attending the school. I haven't got enough pairs of eyes! that's what I tell them all too:)

ChocolateChip
05-03-2010, 06:13 PM
I keep the pre schoolers with me, holding hands so I know I've got them, but the older ones and my 2 older ones like to go and see their friends. It's all one big open playground, nursery line up on the entrance side, the older ones get called in a class at a time but I can see them all easily so let them chat with their friends. Would put a stop if they were charging round like lunatics, though, luckily my lot are normally fairly sensible.
After school I try to keep them all with me until everyone is ready to go- easier said than done! :panic:

Jelly Baby
12-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Hi well just an update on speaking to Dad..i did and he said that he would have a word about lo running off. Last night off i stand in the playground and he doesn't show..i have all the other kids with me so go into the classroom and ask the teacher where he is..she says she has no idea and spots him a way away on the field..had just run out thrown his bags by the classroom and run off..he spotted us watching him and and ran over..well he got such a telling off from the teacher!..I then took him home and stressed to dad about him not doing this AGAIN..we were the last ones out and late. They apologised this morning and we will see what happens later grr kids. He is now under strict instruction to have no lee way and to stand fully with me..ruins it for himself!