PDA

View Full Version : Anyone thought about opening a nursery

lady boss
04-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Hi All,

I was just wondering if any childminders out there have ever considered opening their own day care nursery?

specks4
04-03-2010, 02:02 PM
me and my friend who is also a childminder thought about doing it. But decided it would be too much hassle trying to get everything sorted out. As none of out houses would be big enough so would have to find somewhere to rent like a hall or something.

It is a great idea though. Maybe if i had more money i would think about it again but cant see that happening

aly
04-03-2010, 02:02 PM
i posted a message yesterday about a toddler group as we have hardly anything here, but another option for a year/2 down the line would be to open a nursery too...I am doing my nvq3 at the mo and the other 2 tht would do a toddler group also will start theres in sept so it may be on the cards for us.

lady boss
04-03-2010, 02:06 PM
It's something i would really love to do too, its just the cost etc.
I have recently finished my nvq level 3 and feel like all the work and effort we childminders put in we may as well open up our own nursery, i just dont think i would know where to start

Lady Haha
04-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Not a nursery, but an after school club! But as previous poster said, it's too much hassle, my house isn't big enough, so would need to rent hall or something etc.....would need staff who might ring in sick messing up ratios, would need to pay business rates etc.....and on top of all that, I felt I would lose the 'personal' homely touch I provide here for my little gang!

I did um and ah about it for ages, cos it felt like I was letting a fantastic business opportunity pass me by, which might have set me up for life, enabled me to buy a house etc, but sometimes you just have to settle for what you have!!!

melanieabigail2004
04-03-2010, 02:11 PM
I have put a fair amount of work into this over the last 6 months - event looked at premises etc. I know where I want to put one (having conducted market research etc) but am struggling to get the required funds together :) - its definitely something I am planning to achieve in the next few years hopefully :)

specks4
04-03-2010, 02:12 PM
ladyboss i totally agree, ive done my nvq and doing the foundation degree now. The amount of work we do put in being childminders we might aswell open up a nursery.

Blaze
04-03-2010, 02:19 PM
I would if i had the funds to start up - not ever likely for that to be the case though!:rolleyes: :laughing:

Blackhorse
04-03-2010, 02:19 PM
I wouldnt want to have a nursery I think.

I am happy to work from home and take the kids places and do stuff they wouldnt be able to do in a nursery.
I also like the mix of ages etc so I dont think I would enjoy it..

although sometimes I think working with another cm would be nice

The Juggler
04-03-2010, 02:28 PM
I wouldn't at the moment. I think nurseries are struggling. Lots are not covering the costs of offering the state funded nursery places and their choice is to withdraw from the scheme and lose even more business or to continue to offer it at a loss to the business and risk going under.

sorry that was a bit doom and gloom wasn't it:rolleyes:

Pudding Girl
04-03-2010, 02:38 PM
No I wouldn't. I wanted to be a CM not a nursery nurse, I like the home care system, I like children being out and about in the day not cooped up in a room, it is the complete opposite of what I feel CMing is/should be.

AliceK
04-03-2010, 02:41 PM
My DS went to a lovely CM from 5 mths old and after a while she turned into a nursery. She had a huge garage type building on her land which she had renovated etc and changed to a small nursery. Only about 12/14 children. It was lovely. My DS stayed with her until we moved when he was 3and half. He loved it there. I would LOVE to do something like that but it'll never happen unless I win the lottery.

xxxxxx