PDA

View Full Version : Husband and wife childminders?

carla
04-03-2010, 10:11 AM
I just wondered if there were any of you on here?

I am a registered childminder and hubbie is my assistant. we are looking into Will my husband also be a cm with me. Could u tell me how many children u are both allowed to look after ie.

1. how many under ones?

2. under 5's

3. over 8's

Thanks, just talkin things over and wondering if its affordable for my hubbie to give up work to work with me.I have a friend moving soon, she looks after 1 over 1 and one under 1. I have a child that is 15 months and a child im looking after which is 18 months. plus I have had a few enquiries, but am unsure re ratios- etc.

Thanks

xx

mum2two
04-03-2010, 10:35 AM
It will all depend on space. When I was doing it on my own, I was allowed, 4 under 8, with 2 of them under 5. (I had my own 6 & 2 yr old).

When hubby started with me, we were allowed 8 under 8, with 5 of those being under 5's. (as we had our own under 5). Then we built a conservatory, so they increased us to 10 under 8's.

Have they increased your numbers with hubby as an assistant, as they did with us. He was originally my assistant, by chance to help a parent out, and when I spoke to ofsted, they said 'oh we can increase your numbers if you want'. So I agreed, thinking it might come in handy at some point... Then me & hubby spoke, and he asked about doing it with me, so we got him reg, so he could access training etc.

Now he's gone back to work, we've de-reg him, but he's still on as an assistant, which is quite nice now, as my kids can have friends back on days he's home.

HTH

xx

TheBTeam
04-03-2010, 05:20 PM
We have 3 under 5 and 2 5-8's each as our dd7 counts for both of us. We work together the numbers are 6 under 5 and of these 2 can be under 1, and 4 between 5-8, when my dd turns 8 in may I will ask for more 5-8's just in case we need them!

Monkey1
04-03-2010, 06:35 PM
At the moment we have 6 under 5's or 8 under 8's. Adam is going through the registration process so that hopefully we can increase the anount of under 8's so that we can include ex mindees who like to come in the holidays etc. My DO doesn't think it should be a problem, so i'm writing the letter this weekend.....fingers crossed for me please!

little_gems
04-03-2010, 08:48 PM
my hubby is my assistant and together we have have 10 under the age of 8 and 4 within the EYFS.

Amaranth
04-03-2010, 09:18 PM
I work with dh who is a regd cm too. It all depends on your home and space available we don't live in a massive house, our ratios are: We can have 8 under 8's of which no more than 5 can be under 5's and no more than 2 under 1's
You can have over 8's in addition to these numbers but remember that your insurance company will have a limit on the total number of children they will cover you for at any one time. My insurance company specify no more than 10 children at any one time.