PDA

View Full Version : I honestly do not no what to think of this parent

Ben10mad
03-03-2010, 10:33 PM
In a way i am angry but shocked at the same time.
Will try and keep it short!

Have been caring for mindee 13 months old for 4 months, i have a good relationship with mother but she really does annoy me, late rotas, late payments, tells me how to care for her child ect.
Last week my parter left for work early, and i didn't think to lock door after him, mindee was due in for 7am, so i got my son up at half 6 so i could get him sorted before she arrived, well whilst i was dressing my 4 year old son in the living room i heard the front door open and the mother of mindee walked in and said ''hello''
i couldn't believe it she just let her self in.
Well yesterday i had mindee again i left the door unlocked as i wanted to see if she would do it again...... SHE DID, I haven't said anything yet but i will be in the morning as mindee is due in.
Thinking about it though in the past i have heard the door try and open as if she has tried but it has always been locked i honestly am gob smacked.
This is when this job really does get on top of me no respect.

Pipsqueak
03-03-2010, 10:37 PM
hmm your house you call the shots as to who walks in unannounced.
but I think i would be locking it after hubs has departed - especially at that time of morning - but thats just personal preferance (say the woman who occasionally leaves her keys in the door!!)

singlewiththree
04-03-2010, 07:00 AM
My mindee's mum walks in and I have kindof come to expect it and it means I can carry on sorting breakfast, it really annoys my BF though when he stays over and he locks the door :)

Tinglesnark
04-03-2010, 07:24 AM
hmmm yeah i can see that to her your house is available to her if the door is unlocked. just like at preschool, if the doors open then we all walk in. if it is shut we wait outside. to her i suppose, she is paying you, therefore she has carte blanche. Not that i agree with it, i will tell friends to come in if the doors unlocked as i may be bf ds2 or making lunch etc but that is friends and they always knock first!
just keep it locked and try not to let it get to you love :D
x

nikim
04-03-2010, 07:54 AM
i keep the chain on mine all the time im minding for this reason ,( i also know someone who got marked down by ofsted for having her door unlocked ,if parents can walk in so can anyone :panic:) , i found it quite unnerving when my parent sarted letting herself in ,i was on the loo one morning and she let herself in, early!!!!!! (no one else here) and called out to me i shouted i will be 2 minuets and she shouted im in a hurry i will see you later and dumped the child and went :eek: :eek: , thats when i decided to put the chain on all the time

miffy
04-03-2010, 07:57 AM
I wouldn't like a parent just walking in but then I keep my door locked so they can't.

Miffy xx

Nicky
04-03-2010, 08:03 AM
In my opinion that is exceptionally rude, your house and she should respect that. I would have to say something immediately if any of my parents did that!
I would try and remember to lock it and make her knock! Ofsted would prefer that too!

little miss chatterbox
04-03-2010, 08:12 AM
that's appaulling!!!! I used to mind for a very close friend and even she never let herself in!

I think you should go round hers and walk in her house and see what she thinks of that! How rude

desiderata
04-03-2010, 08:58 AM
I think that shes cheeky!! mind you I have a parent that comes late sometimes and I am loading the others in the car for playgroup and he has then walked straight through my house and put his childs things in the kitchen! I have been stuck putting the kids in the car and looked at him in disbelief!!! I would never dream of doing that. Even to the point when I was asked to xxx birthday party I sat on the chair they showed me to when I got there and they never said where the food or anything was so after 1 hr when everyone else was or had eaten I left without having had anything cos they never offered. I wouldnt dream of moving in someone elses house , but perhaps thats just me.

I would lock my door !!!!

little chickee
04-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Maybe she has an open house policy at home where people just knock and walk in so she expects to do the same at yours.

I have freinds who tell me off when i ring the bell and wait for them to answer they say just come in wheter they are expecting me or not but i really dont like doing this - goodness knows what i might walk in on.

I have one set of parents who used to just let themselves in at collection time and i dont like it so i always have the door locked at all times. The parent questioned it and i said it was for the safety of the children which it is.

I am now in the habit of keeping the door locked wheter im working or not anyway after 2 hydro electric worlmen ( who i was expecting) just walked in and scared the life out of me!! Mind you they got the biggest scare when my 2 dogs spotted them and went mad barking!!! serve them right!

Curly Quavers
04-03-2010, 08:54 PM
My door is always locked but she was so cheeky.

I personally probably wouldn't talk to her about it becuase I HATE confrontation but would make sure 100% that the door is always always locked so she can't just do what she likes.

It's your home!

:D

karen m
04-03-2010, 08:59 PM
i have had a parent do that in past although door was locked heard handle go on number of occassions,2 they have called when i have had no children and door not locked was waiting for daughter 2 arrive and they just let themselves in was so angry :angry:

sillysausage
04-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Mine mostly knock and let themselves in and it doesn't bother me (mind you that's because I've told them to do that).

karen m
04-03-2010, 09:06 PM
i have had a parent do that in past although door was locked heard handle go on number of occassions,2 they have called when i have had no children and door not locked was waiting for daughter 2 arrive and they just let themselves in was so angry :angry:

Trouble
04-03-2010, 09:10 PM
i have removed my bell as how many times can 1 person ring it to let me know there there - 10 :angry: :angry: :eek:

and my door stays locked til i open it
and when i do i take the key out so this child cant play with my locks:angry: while mother stands watching

keep your door locked

if she comes early say Oh your early today if you say it enought it will get throu

FussyElmo
04-03-2010, 09:10 PM
I personally dont like people walking into my house unannounced and keep me door locked and I am moaned at my friend because I will knock and wait I dont like walking in to someone elses house.

However dh grew up with a open door policy and thinks its odd that I lock the door he doesnt understand why...

Different people are used to different things if you dont want her to walk in either tell her or make sure your door is locked :)

Probey9
04-03-2010, 10:54 PM
I had a parent like that, it highlighted that if she could do it so could a complete stranger, the door is always locked now. Problem solved.

Jelly Baby
04-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Hi i do tend to lock the door now..more so as we live ina town house and cannot always see/hear the door and my friend tends to let herself in! plus if we are in the garden i would never know!..i guess it's different for everyone but i would lock it just to stop the parent

Daftbat
05-03-2010, 07:39 AM
None of my actual customers do this but i did have a friend who always did exactly this an it infuriated me since i wouldn't have dreamt of doing it at her house.

I lock my door now but i also have a sign asking people to "please knock and wait". It stops the possibility of the dog escaping too:laughing:

Ripeberry
05-03-2010, 08:15 AM
Sounds like you all need to get yourself some decent locks. Our front door has an automatic lock which means that it can be opened from the inside but the outside handle is locked.
Can be a pain, but I get round it by having the keys on a chain on me at all times and I have the spare key in a keysafe by the garage, just in case I get locked out.
Inside I put the door chain on when I have my 18 month old mindee as he can't reach it, but it also means that I can get out of the house whilst carrying him.
The older mindees and my daughters, then I lock the door so both handles don't move, but then I need both hands free to unlock it.

Saranotts
05-03-2010, 08:31 AM
I had to leave my house unlocked the other morning when I did the school run as someone else had my key (long story) and on the way back I got a phone call from a new mindee parent on my home phone to say she had arrived (early)!!!!! Was gobsmacked that she had just let herself in and was sat in my living room on my phone!

My parents-in-law also just let themselves and wander through and I do find it irritating so try and make sure my door is always locked.

Sara

Ripeberry
05-03-2010, 08:39 AM
Check your home insurance policies as many won't pay out if there was NO forced entry into your home. :( It's the same with car insurance, if you leave the car unlocked but just rely on the immobiliser, then they still won't pay out for anything they steal from inside the car.
Lots of opportunist thieves, try doors (especialy older ones) on the hope that they will just open and they don't care if someone is inside :eek:

AliceK
05-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Sounds like you all need to get yourself some decent locks. Our front door has an automatic lock which means that it can be opened from the inside but the outside handle is locked.Can be a pain, but I get round it by having the keys on a chain on me at all times and I have the spare key in a keysafe by the garage, just in case I get locked out.
Inside I put the door chain on when I have my 18 month old mindee as he can't reach it, but it also means that I can get out of the house whilst carrying him.
The older mindees and my daughters, then I lock the door so both handles don't move, but then I need both hands free to unlock it.

Mine is the same but my front door is ALWAYS locked with the keys from the inside anyway whenever I'm at home. I am absolutely paranoid about having all my doors locked not just because of the children but for my own safety I've always been like this. I know how hard it is to break into my house as I managed to lock us all out in the snow a couple of months ago. OH was not best pleased at having to go up a ladder to try and get in the bedroom window in 1ft of snow :laughing:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lady Haha
05-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Mine is the same but my front door is ALWAYS locked with the keys from the inside anyway whenever I'm at home. I am absolutely paranoid about having all my doors locked not just because of the children but for my own safety I've always been like this. I know how hard it is to break into my house as I managed to lock us all out in the snow a couple of months ago. OH was not best pleased at having to go up a ladder to try and get in the bedroom window in 1ft of snow :laughing:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Same here! And I did the same thing! I managed to lock us all out! Well, mindee did anyway! My keys were in the lock on the inside and he shut the door as we came out before I could get a chance to grab them! I knew my small kitchen window was open, so the ten year old from next door climbed in and opened the front door for me. BUT! That made me realise how easy it would be for some one else to get in, so now I make sure that NO windows are left open, so I REALLY hope we don't get locked out again as it will be a job for the locksmith!

Mollymop
05-03-2010, 01:13 PM
I think I would have been so shocked if it were me I would have turned around with a shocked look on my face and said:eek: "What the heck do think you are doing walking into my house????!":eek:

estrelas
05-03-2010, 01:15 PM
I think I would have been so shocked if it were me I would have turned around with a shocked look on my face and said:eek: "What the heck do think you are doing walking into my house????!":eek:

Same, we can't walk into the nuserys or schools around there without knocking so why should they are houses?

AliceK
05-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Same here! And I did the same thing! I managed to lock us all out! Well, mindee did anyway! My keys were in the lock on the inside and he shut the door as we came out before I could get a chance to grab them! I knew my small kitchen window was open, so the ten year old from next door climbed in and opened the front door for me. BUT! That made me realise how easy it would be for some one else to get in, so now I make sure that NO windows are left open, so I REALLY hope we don't get locked out again as it will be a job for the locksmith!

:laughing: :laughing: Exactly what I did. For some reason OH had his keys in the door and I grabbed mine from the hook as usual and shut the door. Obviously could not then get back in. BUT I had the back door keys on me as well and also the keys for the gate into the back garden. Except the back gate was deadlocked so those keys wouldn't work so OH had to climb over the gate however, oooppps, I had left the main set of back door keys in the back door as well so after all that we couldn't get in that way either hence him having to go borrow a big ladder from a neighbour and climb in the upstairs window.
It has taught me a lesson though, I will always check there are no keys left in the door before I shut it.

xxxx

Rubybubbles
05-03-2010, 01:38 PM
:eek: this screams risk assessment to me anyway tbh!

Just tell her you need to lock the door after doing a RA on it:thumbsup:

I always lock my doors, I am a bit OTT and check at leats 3 times before going out, going to bed ect ect:laughing:

button68
05-03-2010, 02:20 PM
This is off topic but it reminds me of when I worked in an Estate Agents. A family whose house we were selling were going on holiday and left us key so we could conduct accompanied viewings whilst they were away.

One afternoon I arranged to meet some prospective purchasers to show them around. Met them outside let us all in and took them into the front room..... only to be confronted with the family sat at the table enjoying their lunch :eek:

I'd not checked their return dates - turns out they'd got back in the early hours of the morning :blush:

tracey36
05-03-2010, 02:27 PM
i could never just walk into anyones house without been let in, what a cheek!!!

Ripeberry
05-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Although I'm in the countryside and there is hardly anyone around, I still lock everything. Years ago, I lived in an inner city area and our house was up for sale.
One day I had a day off, so did some cleaning, did the gardening and then decided to have a nap on the sofa.
Got woken up by someone trying the back door handle and then they were trying to peer into the living room (back to front house)!
I quickly went upstairs to see what the hell they were doing and they were in my garden looking at the back of the house (young couple) and they could not see me as I had net curtains.
Well, they then climb back over the wall and walk off. Still don't understand why they did not use the gate at the bottom of the garden and I'm so glad that I had locked the back door.
Turns out, they were prospective buyers, but decided to check it out themselves....if they had expected a tour I would have told them to sling their hook :mad: