PDA

View Full Version : have you ever worried you are getting too quiet?

newandlearning
03-03-2010, 07:20 PM
hi everyone..

I'm soon going to be losing a fulltimer am not sure exactly when but could be by summer hols. I'm worried about how to make ends meet when this happens... do those of you who have childminded for years found that it always works out in the end?

When do you start readvertising?
Do you do extra jobs to safeguard yourself? ie. work in a creche etc.?

Do you put money away so you have a slush fund?

Do you ever worried when you get quiet or do you just know people will phone?

Its always quiet in my area so it can be tricky getting new parents and LOs.xx

Mollymop
03-03-2010, 07:27 PM
I am getting worried now about being too quiet.

I lost 2 mindees in january - they were siblings and it worked out a bit of money each month

I lost another mindee last week who I have looked after since 2008 - mum has lost her job

I am losing another in July when mum's course at college ends ( had her for 2 years buy then:( :( )

So it only leaves me with 2! And one of those is starting full time school, so will only have her before and after school 3 days a week! Rather than 3 full days a week! ekk!

The only one left will be a before and after schooler that earns me £40 a week and that's it!!

I am hoping that I get some more enquiries for September or i will be stuffed!

I can't work as Hubs leaves early and gets home late from work so I can't work around him... I guess I will just have to hold on tight until I get them golden enquiries!!:eek:

Jelly Baby
03-03-2010, 07:28 PM
hi everyone..

I'm soon going to be losing a fulltimer am not sure exactly when but could be by summer hols. I'm worried about how to make ends meet when this happens... do those of you who have childminded for years found that it always works out in the end?

When do you start readvertising?
Do you do extra jobs to safeguard yourself? ie. work in a creche etc.?

Do you put money away so you have a slush fund?

Do you ever worried when you get quiet or do you just know people will phone?

Hi i have a part time job in the mornings..although tiring i feel i it is my back up just incase!!

I'm losing one in about 3 weeks so this will be the quietest i have been in 4+ years..i had 2 calls yesterday so think people know!! whether i get them though is another matter!

I advertise all the time just incase

We try to save each month for a back up fund..hopefully wont use it but yes do try and save for quiet times.

Fingers crossed for you..hope the phone rings soon x

karen m
03-03-2010, 08:11 PM
i am really quiet at the moment ,have always been full in past but since sept when pre-schoolers went full time,very quiet just have 3 part timers 2 due to leave sept ,new1 starting oct ,fingers cross get some enquries soon ,signed up for childcare.co.uk

Pipsqueak
03-03-2010, 08:14 PM
i am back to being really quiet again. The area I live in is just sooo dead - yet 1.5 miles across town there aren't enough spaces for the demand! typical.

I have just lost a mindee but hopefully getting one back in September (my full timer) but its between now and then thats the bother

fionamal
03-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Its very quiet up here too, so much so that im now job hunting as by end of June will only have 1 afterschooler for 6 hours per week. Theres been no enquiries since September and loads of us have spaces

bexcee
03-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Very quiet here too, no enquires any more either.
:ohdear:

Rubybubbles
03-03-2010, 09:40 PM
hi everyone..

When do you start readvertising? I put an advert on childcare.co.uk:thumbsup:
Do you do extra jobs to safeguard yourself? ie. work in a creche etc.? I was looking at it

Do you put money away so you have a slush fund?Yes:D not lots but it has meant I can still enjoy things, I am lucky as hubby main wage earner

Do you ever worried when you get quiet or do you just know people will phone?Every time I move

I have just moved, this is my 5th house in my 6 years of childminding:laughing: (hubby RAF) I always worry each time I move, but manage to fill the spaces. I think it is because most families I childmind for both parents are working for RAF. It can have it's downfall though, when people have to move away ect ect.

Do put out lots of adverts

Keeping fingers crossed for you all:)

louised
03-03-2010, 09:43 PM
I am also looking around for a job as i will be losing 2 full-timers to school in September and I will not be able to manage financially with only my 2 part-timers

miffy
04-03-2010, 08:08 AM
I've had lots of times over the years when I've thought I wouldn't have any work because of mindees leaving, starting school etc but it's always worked out OK.

I do think it's harder atm with the recession and there's a lot more choice for parents too and I can't compete with "free" places.

Fingers crossed for everyone who needs those phone calls!

Miffy xx

The Juggler
04-03-2010, 09:56 AM
i am back to being really quiet again. The area I live in is just sooo dead - yet 1.5 miles across town there aren't enough spaces for the demand! typical.

I have just lost a mindee but hopefully getting one back in September (my full timer) but its between now and then thats the bother

that's so unfair! are parents really not prepared to travel that 1.5 miles to get a good minder?

caz3007
04-03-2010, 11:06 AM
I am losing a little boy 1st week in July as his mum finishes a course, but I have just had a call about a little girl wanting to start in June/July, so fingers crossed I get her. But as I have another little boy starting in a couple of weeks, I am not desperate financially.

Two of my after schoolies are off to secondary school in September, I know one is definately staying as mum doesnt get home until 5, but not sure what will happen with the other, as he only lives a stones throw from my house, so I would be there if he needed me. I would be happy to do this as mum is now a good friend of mine and I have looked after him and his sister for a long time and his sister would still be here