PDA

View Full Version : data protection

charliegee
03-03-2010, 09:29 AM
hello all

sorry if this has been done to death but just was searching last night on this forum about the need to registering for data protection - and thought would give them (ICO) a phone today.

Well, just got off phone and they were very nice but did confirm that childminders do def need to register with them for the cost of £35 if we use digital cameras at all

I only use my computer for accounts (which is fine - no need to register) and generic planning BUT they said because I take pictures on a digital camera of children I am technically using a means to process data (ie by taking pictures!) so should register.

so...in summary - if you take photos with a digital camera - you need to register.

I said to the lady on the phone "does this apply even if I take a picture, print it off that night and then delete it?" and she said yes

She said if childminders used disposable cameras (ie not digital) then we would be exempt - but my reasoning is that over a year, to use disposable cameras woudl cost me a lot more than £35 so am registering

boooo...so many other things I woudl rather spend £35 on!!

sorry to ramble but hope that helps someone (although sorry if has been done to death!):blush:

xxx

Jelly Baby
03-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Ah never knew that..the diposable thing sounds daft tbh..your more likely to lose i reckon and normal cameras usually have CM printing thier own so no one sees them..grrr
Oh well it's only 4.5 yrs iv'e been doing that wrong for then!

PixiePetal
03-03-2010, 10:50 AM
I phoned and was told the same.

I think it has to be worse using a film camera and taking it to Boots for example for processing than a digital camera, printing at home (I use personal printer - not PC) and deleting.

Crazy if you ask me. :rolleyes:

Got the forms, just not filled them in yet :blush:

Jelly Baby
03-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Do we not get asked this by Ofsted then? I never have!

sarah707
03-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Last time I spoke to them a few weeks ago they referred me to their online questionnaire which didn't say anything about cameras.

I wish they would get themselves together :rolleyes:

fun house
03-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Does any one have a phone number so i can register with them. Something been meaning to do for ages.

Playmate
03-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Do we not get asked this by Ofsted then? I never have!

I know someone who was asked last week, but it probably depends on the officer of cause!

We phoned data protection people last week and got the same answer about cameras :D