PDA

View Full Version : diversity resourses

ss1983
02-03-2010, 09:37 PM
hi what diversity reasourse has people got?

Heaven Scent
02-03-2010, 09:47 PM
OOOOOOHHHHHHHH - I'm building them up slowly. I have lots of bits and bobs - I have dressing up bits and bobs from various cultures plus I have a vaieity of dolls and figures with various skin tones and with various ailements. In addition I have lots of images in posters and in books depicting positive images - I get a lot of books in library sales and from places like The Works Balamory books are quite good for this. I get stuff from all over the place - Souviners from abroad, car boot sales, ebay, I'm sure in time (I hope) that toy librarys will be having sales where they seel off resources which are past their best. Chinese and Asian Supermarkets are great places to buy bits and bobs.

ss1983
02-03-2010, 09:49 PM
OOOOOOHHHHHHHH - I'm building them up slowly. I have lots of bits and bobs - I have dressing up bits and bobs from various cultures plus I have a vaieity of dolls and figures with various skin tones and with various ailements. In addition I have lots of images in posters and in books depicting positive images - I get a lot of books in library sales and from places like The Works Balamory books are quite good for this. I get stuff from all over the place - Souviners from abroad, car boot sales, ebay, I'm sure in time (I hope) that toy librarys will be having sales where they seel off resources which are past their best. Chinese and Asian Supermarkets are great places to buy bits and bobs.

how do you show ofsted this do you write a list of the reasourses?i only started in dec so not got much
got dora toys does this count they speak spanish?
bratz dolls they have black skin?

button68
02-03-2010, 10:14 PM
I got a cracking dress-up hijab off eBay :thumbsup: and invested in a dolls wheelchair that the mindees absolutely love and fight over (although they do call it a pram :o )

Other things I've just aquired, stuff like books, cooking bits and bobs for home corner, dolls etc.. You seem to find the best stuff when your aren't looking, iyswim :cool:

Sorry edit to say I didn't 'show' Ofsted - the diversity resources are just there in amongst the other resources/toys I think this is just how it should be.

ss1983
02-03-2010, 10:16 PM
I got a cracking dress-up hijab off eBay :thumbsup: and invested in a dolls wheelchair that the mindees absolutely love and fight over (although they do call it a pram :o )

Other things I've just aquired, stuff like books, cooking bits and bobs for home corner, dolls etc.. You seem to find the best stuff when your aren't looking, iyswim :cool:

dolls wheelchair where did you get that? do you room in your house for a home corner what do you have in it?
do you write a list of resourses

TheBTeam
02-03-2010, 10:39 PM
I have a variety of books showing differing additional needs, such as wheelchairs, autism, different culture homes/play/hair and other books which show different religion and skin tones in with just ordinary story books.

I also have a set of people with wheelchair, blind, deaf, etc which are kept with the dolls house and bits.

I have little people stuff and part of that is a school bus and wheel chair, I have all colour baby dolls and play food and cooking equipment such as woks, pizza, etc.

Also in amongst the art and craft stuff there are multicultural skin tone pens and crayons, foam, felt and body templates reflecting different skin tones.

I have all of this out whenever we have the resource out in general it does not come out especially as an item on its own.

button68
02-03-2010, 10:49 PM
dolls wheelchair where did you get that? do you room in your house for a home corner what do you have in it?
do you write a list of resourses

Wheelchair was off eBay. It just lives with all the dolls stuff. My home corner toy kitchen, table food etc is in my kitchen kids just bring what ever they want dolls, prams etc to there.

babs
02-03-2010, 11:17 PM
mothercare do sets of people ..little people i think i have some cant think which they r , set includes school children differnet races , one in a wheelchair, one has glasses on , one has ginger hair ,etc also do multi culture set ,spanish,french,asian,amercian,chinese etc..

Bitsy Beans
03-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Most of my diversity stuff is small world at the moment - Happyland figures, Little Einsteins and Rocket, Little People school bus etc. I am hoping to pick up some more bargains at the Education show on Saturday at NEC. I've been told it tends to be cheaper than buying online.
I need to work on more dressing up stuff and books/jigsaws aswell :D

dlissaman
03-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Hi I have lots that have been collected over the years but i did add to my collection and brought a jigsaw that has 'Hello' in loads of different languages and various other multi-cultural items from

www.multiculturaltoys4u.co.uk/

Ripeberry
03-03-2010, 12:19 PM
You could also get CDs of music from around the world and some good old Bollywood soundtracks :D

babydayz
03-03-2010, 01:14 PM
I git a good free divertisty resource, i went onto a website for blind people and it had some free publications of their magazine, i ordered one in braille and the kids love looking at it and feeling the pages :)

Leanne59
03-03-2010, 04:42 PM
This is what sarah707 added a few days/weeks was very useful so I saved it. Hope sarah doesnt mind and hope it helps!

Animals from around the world featured in books, Lego etc
Birth to 3 matters poster featuring multicultural children’s images
Books and magazines which promote diversity and equal opportunities of professions etc plus world atlases, fiction and non-fiction books, ‘The Skin I’m in’ by Pat Thomas in the reading box
Celebrate various festivals from around the world by talking about the people who will be celebrating, how they dress and what food they will be eating – and we buy, make and are encouraged to try the food
Children’s interests resources eg Dora the Explorer poster and doll, Inuit play materials, Balamory small world houses and people
Colours and clothes theme, during which we look at colourful African dress, clothes worn by Native American Indians, Inuit clothing made from skins etc
Cooking equipment from around the world
Dolls of various colours, sizes, shapes and hairstyles in my doll box
Dressing up items from various cultures incl Indian and Chinese
ELC Happyland people and resources
Food / eating opportunities linked to multicultural festivals
Games incl people matching with multicultural and diverse faces
ICT resources – videos, dvds, tv, computer games eg. Children’s Encyclopedia, Clue finders etc
Jigsaws – many home made and featuring dolls wearing various national costumes
Lego people from different cultures and varying age-ranges
Local community resources eg library, shops, drop-ins and children’s toddler/music sessions and resources from the wider community eg Manchester, to give children a broad knowledge of faiths, festivals, cultures and religions
Mood spoons with various skin colours
Multicultural dietary customs info
‘Multicultural Activities for pre-school children’ - a book I have written with 24 fully planned activities, 2 for each month of the multicultural year
Musical instruments (home made and commercially available) from various cultures eg Rainmaker, Cypriot flute
Notice board surrounded by children’s faces from different cultural groups and with various disabilities
People who help us’ theme incl positive images of males and females in all roles
‘Religions of the World’ – a home-made book for rising 5s
Signs incl welcome, outside play, playroom and toilet, featuring different faces and languages
Small world people from around the world
Songs and rhymes from around the world
Visits to the library and toy library to extend resources
Weather themed activities incl weather through the world
World map on the wall
Balamory small world and books/comics with the lady in the wheelchair
Books incl 'Don't call me special' by Pat Thomas and ‘Danny the Guide Dog’
Braille alphabet
‘Can you find you’ poster on playroom door which includes faces of children with disabilities
We celebrate National Disability week
Guide dogs for the blind info and themed activities
Doll with missing leg (not broken for the bin but disabled) - thank you to Pauline for this idea
Hearing dogs for the deaf info and themed activities
A – Z (home-made) for the writing table which shows eg g = glasses, w = wheelchair etc
Disability matching and dominoes games (home-made) - hearing impaired = hearing aid etc
Left and right handed scissors
Jigsaws (home-made) and commercially available incl pictures of disabled dolls
Games we play with rising 5s eg blind man’s buff
Notice board surrounded by pictures of children, incl disabled
Policies including disability and equal opportunities
Senses themed activities
Stickers including positive images of disabled children
We visit library and toy library to borrow books which show positive disability images
Visits to toddler group where there are disabled dolls and a wheelchair

Fabby
03-03-2010, 04:53 PM
This is what sarah707 added a few days/weeks was very useful so I saved it. Hope sarah doesnt mind and hope it helps!

Animals from around the world featured in books, Lego etc
Birth to 3 matters poster featuring multicultural children’s images
Books and magazines which promote diversity and equal opportunities of professions etc plus world atlases, fiction and non-fiction books, ‘The Skin I’m in’ by Pat Thomas in the reading box
Celebrate various festivals from around the world by talking about the people who will be celebrating, how they dress and what food they will be eating – and we buy, make and are encouraged to try the food
Children’s interests resources eg Dora the Explorer poster and doll, Inuit play materials, Balamory small world houses and people
Colours and clothes theme, during which we look at colourful African dress, clothes worn by Native American Indians, Inuit clothing made from skins etc
Cooking equipment from around the world
Dolls of various colours, sizes, shapes and hairstyles in my doll box
Dressing up items from various cultures incl Indian and Chinese
ELC Happyland people and resources
Food / eating opportunities linked to multicultural festivals
Games incl people matching with multicultural and diverse faces
ICT resources – videos, dvds, tv, computer games eg. Children’s Encyclopedia, Clue finders etc
Jigsaws – many home made and featuring dolls wearing various national costumes
Lego people from different cultures and varying age-ranges
Local community resources eg library, shops, drop-ins and children’s toddler/music sessions and resources from the wider community eg Manchester, to give children a broad knowledge of faiths, festivals, cultures and religions
Mood spoons with various skin colours
Multicultural dietary customs info
‘Multicultural Activities for pre-school children’ - a book I have written with 24 fully planned activities, 2 for each month of the multicultural year
Musical instruments (home made and commercially available) from various cultures eg Rainmaker, Cypriot flute
Notice board surrounded by children’s faces from different cultural groups and with various disabilities
People who help us’ theme incl positive images of males and females in all roles
‘Religions of the World’ – a home-made book for rising 5s
Signs incl welcome, outside play, playroom and toilet, featuring different faces and languages
Small world people from around the world
Songs and rhymes from around the world
Visits to the library and toy library to extend resources
Weather themed activities incl weather through the world
World map on the wall
Balamory small world and books/comics with the lady in the wheelchair
Books incl 'Don't call me special' by Pat Thomas and ‘Danny the Guide Dog’
Braille alphabet
‘Can you find you’ poster on playroom door which includes faces of children with disabilities
We celebrate National Disability week
Guide dogs for the blind info and themed activities
Doll with missing leg (not broken for the bin but disabled) - thank you to Pauline for this idea
Hearing dogs for the deaf info and themed activities
A – Z (home-made) for the writing table which shows eg g = glasses, w = wheelchair etc
Disability matching and dominoes games (home-made) - hearing impaired = hearing aid etc
Left and right handed scissors
Jigsaws (home-made) and commercially available incl pictures of disabled dolls
Games we play with rising 5s eg blind man’s buff
Notice board surrounded by pictures of children, incl disabled
Policies including disability and equal opportunities
Senses themed activities
Stickers including positive images of disabled children
We visit library and toy library to borrow books which show positive disability images
Visits to toddler group where there are disabled dolls and a wheelchair
I have noe saved this thanku!!!! :thumbsup:

Leanne59
03-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Thanks sarah707. If you are still struggling with this think sarah does one of here ebooks for it. heard some fantastic comments, not bought any just yet, but will be when I find some lo's.

jumpinjen
03-03-2010, 06:03 PM
You can 'show' that you have them by writing about them in your inclusive practice policy..... I have a range of toys and resources that represent diverse images and cultures from around the world....... etc.

you can show planning pages where you have planned to celebrate/explore Holi/Pesach/Easter/sponsored event for guide dogs for the blind and pics of the children meeting the dog.

you can show observations you wrote about when a child asks why a lady is wearing a hijab etc.

You can show photographs of the children exploring fruits from around the worls at the market and then cooking carribean cuisine with them.

It is a lot about doing rather than just having so don't worry about piling up huge amounts of 'diversity resources'. they are more meaningful to the children if you add them in as you go and when you are exploring theings together. Search the threads for multicultural and diversity resources and you will find links to free downloads that will help you get started!

Jenni:)