PDA

View Full Version : daily diaries

specks4
02-03-2010, 04:50 PM
is it a requirenment to have daily diarys for the children?

I dont have them as the parents are happy with verbal commuincation and even when i asked in a parent questionaire they said no they prefer one 2 one commuincation when drop off and pick up

If someone did want one then i would do it

Mollymop
02-03-2010, 04:57 PM
No it is not a requirement but it shows working with parentship with parents when ofsted come to visit.

I do them but I know a few who don't and never have.

If your parents are happy then that is fine

Winnie
02-03-2010, 05:09 PM
is it a requirenment to have daily diarys for the children?

I dont have them as the parents are happy with verbal commuincation and even when i asked in a parent questionaire they said no they prefer one 2 one commuincation when drop off and pick up

If someone did want one then i would do it

No its not a requirement and as long as you communicate the necessary information every day with the parents and they are happy then you are meeting their needs. I think a daily diary could been seen as 'best practice' for a number of reasons, they are 'proof' for any query the parent might have weeks after the event- such as written record of nappy changes/sore bottom cream being applied/ food intake, they are also good evidence for ofsted/network co-ord that you are working in partnership with parents, they also make lovely keepsakes for parents once they are full and of course can be used as a backup for verbal two-way communication with parents (i often forget to ask for nappies but its written down so it doesnt matter). :)

specks4
02-03-2010, 05:47 PM
thank you.

Im gonna stick to what im doing as thats what the parents want. ive got questions that parents fill in regularly so that says about my commuincating so feel im covered.

bexcee
02-03-2010, 07:20 PM
I use one and find it useful as often by the time the parents come I have forgot who ate what and how many nappy changes etc.
I just fill it in as and when and hand it over at the end of the day.

caz3007
02-03-2010, 07:38 PM
I have used these in the past and the parents forget to send them back. Most of my updates are verbal.

One young mum has requested a daily diary as often her MIL collects and doesnt pass on messages, so we are both working on that. I also have a new baby starting in a couple of weeks, so think will try them again with that mum too

miffy
02-03-2010, 08:11 PM
I have used these in the past and the parents forget to send them back. Most of my updates are verbal.

One young mum has requested a daily diary as often her MIL collects and doesnt pass on messages, so we are both working on that. I also have a new baby starting in a couple of weeks, so think will try them again with that mum too

Even if your updates are verbal you could still jot down anything that's important for the child's file - that will show Ofsted you're wipwp's without having lots of paperwork.

Miffy xx

fridaysoff
02-03-2010, 08:18 PM
My inspector suggested better spend the time on learning files and use verbal. I spoke to 3 dif nurseries (outstanding ones) they do whiteboard things in the reception. So I did a laminate sheet: what we have done today and write it up as I go. We have verbal communication and most are happy with that now... but a few were v unhappy bout diary going as it's a link for the parent who doesn't come into the setting - they are right but I can't do everything, I'm releived now they're stopped. I send vid clip or pics periodically, pics are on display and they can take the LJ whenever they like.
With regards nappy changes: 5 or so will come in a bag, they can see what's not used, anything unusual I would tell them.:thumbsup:

terrydoo73
02-03-2010, 08:56 PM
I didn't do daily diaries until this year and started it really for twins that I look after for the same reason some mentioned here - nappy changing and eating patterns. I thought it might be better to have them for my older 2 children as well but within a week the parent objected to them. It became obvious through her conversation that she didn't like the honesty of the diary ie being told what her child was doing with me every day or not as the case may be. I explained that I felt I needed to work with her in helping me to sort out difficulties I may have and to provide a consistency of care. Anyway after a number of weeks she decided to take her youngest child away as it was obvious from the diaries he was having difficulty mingling with the twins and playing in my setting. I felt at the time that she felt I was blowing the thing out of all perspective and should have basically said nothing but let the child alone to do his own thing even if that meant he spent the majority of the day lying about rolling or snatching toys off children.

Anyway 2 weeks after withdrawing this child from me she asked me to go back to the diary system for the eldest child as she wanted to see what her child was doing with me every day - such a turnaround in 2 short months!

I have found the diaries invaluable as I have noticed patterns developing especially as regards eating and nappy changes which has led to changes both at home and in my setting.

ss1983
02-03-2010, 09:03 PM
would you do a dialy diary for a 5 year old and ten year old