PDA

View Full Version : children's drinks

julie w
02-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Up until now I have always given children milk, water or sugar free squash. However I have just been on an oral health course and didnt realise until then just how bad the additives are in sugar free drinks too. So I have told the children from now they can choose milk or water and I wont be giving squash any more. A few moans but they have all been fine. All except one 10 year old girl. She says she doesnt like milk or water. She made a big dramatic point of pretending to choke when her mum came saying she was so thirsty. So her mum said she'd have to go to the shop for some pop. Anyway she came this morning with a bottle of squash (ready made) and I told the girl she couldnt have it here as it wasn't fair on the others. I said she should take it to school to have. She said it wasn't allowed in school. So what do I do. Stand my ground or let her drink? It doesn't help that the mum's best friend is also a cm and allows sweets, drink and fizzy pop to all her mindees. (says its her home and business and she'll do what she wants and tell ofsted what they need to hear) But thats her business, not mine. Advice would be much appreciated thankyou.xx.

Pudding Girl
02-03-2010, 08:50 AM
Tricky one! That I don't really know the answer to actually. I stopped using sugarfree diluting juices long ago, knowing the harm the artiifical sweetners can cause but no-one has had a problem with it or ever even asked tbh.

nikim
02-03-2010, 08:59 AM
so what does she drink at school :rolleyes: ,i would start with writing a letter to all parents stating your intentions and stick with it no matter what anyone else says , your buisness your rules :thumbsup: she will drink water if shes thirsty .

Tink
02-03-2010, 09:06 AM
It's a tough one as it's your business and your rules have to be put in place.
You also have to consider the parents wishes, they may have no problem with her having juice to drink it's totally a personal preference.

Like nikim said, write a letter informing parents of your intentions and see what the outcome is, or speak to them in person and get their views on it.

I've just started receiving free milk and 2 of the older boys won't drink it because they don't like it and after speaking with parents they have said they won't drink milk or water only juice so I have no option as I can't not give them a drink.

We are always placed in difficult situations but stick to your guns and see what happens.

Chatterbox Childcare
02-03-2010, 09:15 AM
I think you need the support of the parents on this one. I agree that you need to talk to them and explain why you don't want anything other than water or milk but for a 10 year old it is a big step and maybe you will have to dilute the squash day by day. You could also state that they do not need to bring drinks with them to your house as you have ample cups and bottles to cover everyone.

I am assuming that she does drink at school?

I have a parent who sends her child to school with a bottle of squash everyday but I do not allow it in my setting.

youarewhatyoueat
02-03-2010, 09:44 AM
With my parent head on I have never given my children sugar free anything as personally I prefer sugar to all the additives but regarding squash I use the 'Bare all' squash available in tescos,waitrose and not sure about the others I also have always used the good quality hi juices but always checked the ingredients as in morrisons they started putting additives in that.
With mindees I only offer milk or water but with an older child I would offer one of these good quality squashes.At lunch time I have offered watered down fruit juice and my children have that occasionally as well.

little chickee
02-03-2010, 12:54 PM
I also do not use suger free drinks because of the additives - i use The 45% or 50% high juice - the full sugar variety and dilute it well. Of fresh fruit juice diluted.

A little bit of sugar combined with good tooth brushing is preferable to all the nasties in any sugar free or low sugar product.

estrelas
02-03-2010, 01:04 PM
I've only done milk or water from day one

Your right to offer it as you want but I agree with Debbie, for a ten year old girl its a bit harsh to stop all at once x

sillysausage
02-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Children here have a choice of milk or water at all times. Additionally at mealtimes (lunch and tea) they can have diluted fresh juice (I don't dilute it for school age children).

PixiePetal
02-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Children here have a choice of milk or water at all times. Additionally at mealtimes (lunch and tea) they can have diluted fresh juice (I don't dilute it for school age children).

Same for mine :thumbsup:

Alibali
02-03-2010, 05:17 PM

Me too:) :thumbsup:

bexcee
02-03-2010, 07:29 PM
My mindees only have water or milk but my own children drink squash and like others have said I give them the 'full sugar' version and instill good teeth brushing rather than the 'low sugar' option with all the alternatives in.