PDA

View Full Version : Planning and next steps, using printout of developmental grids

Ripeberry
01-03-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm trying to see what my mindee can do in relation to the 'developmental grids'. He is now 18 months and the 8-20month and 16-26 month grids will be used.
I'm using all 6 areas of learning with the aspects and highlighting what he is doing consistantly and circling the bits that he is doing partialy.
This is a working document for myself to see what I need to do next and I find it easier than thumbing through the whole EYFS book!
Does anyone do this as well? :)

TammyN
01-03-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm trying to see what my mindee can do in relation to the 'developmental grids'. He is now 18 months and the 8-20month and 16-26 month grids will be used.
I'm using all 6 areas of learning with the aspects and highlighting what he is doing consistantly and circling the bits that he is doing partialy.
This is a working document for myself to see what I need to do next and I find it easier than thumbing through the whole EYFS book!
Does anyone do this as well? :)

i have been thinking i would like it, more at a glance, atm i use trackers for the same thing my own glance at where we are heading but don't like them and so need to change, did you do the forms yourself?

Ripeberry
01-03-2010, 09:38 PM
No, got them off this forum :)

sophiestars
01-03-2010, 11:46 PM
I use the grids printed from the EYFS CD. I put a set in each learning journal and highlight areas that are covered by observations, 'significant (wow) moments and photos - ie things I have 'evidence' for.
I do my journals in termly (4 monthly) blocks and highlight in a different colour for each term eg anything achieved on the grids from Sept-Dec 2009 is in yellow, Jan - April 2010 is in pink, etc, so you can see at a glance when the child achieved that particular skill. I explain to the parents that not everything on the grids will be highlighted, even if they know the child is able to do it, it is meant to be a snapshot of the child's development and I only highlight things I have evidence for in the learning journal.
I think having the grids in the folders also gives the parents more insight into what we are aiming towards development-wise with their children.

Ripeberry
02-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Sophie, yes that's what I'm aiming to do. Got to find myself some more highlighter pens, only have a working pink one at the moment :laughing:

fridaysoff
02-03-2010, 08:11 PM
I use the grids too, I'm using photos and sticky labels for my observations and am thinking of making a different label with a border or coloured printed comment something like: "Away from Lou's" or "Mummy and Daddy say" (something like that anyway- depedning if it is Mum & D) and providing a few on a sheet in front of journal. So that When I send it home with the grids in and family think their child can do a particular thing that I haven't observed yet - they can write a message on it. Not done this yet though, but some parents will feel better I think if they can provide that bit of info to help us all keep up to date. Mine only come 2 days a week, so I know they are doing things ata home that I haven't seen yet. Obviously some people won't ever write anything, or if the label isn't what I can use I can target it and do my own to back it up. I sent some grids home and the dad (teacher) went through with a fine tooth comb and highighted loads with a comment here and there all over the place - at least on lables I can put them where I want them!:rolleyes: (was it you who was looking at becomming network CM?)