PDA

View Full Version : Polish children

carla
01-03-2010, 07:42 PM
I am looking after a little boy from beginning of Apr, who is Polish, he doesn't understand English, but is only 18 months old. Does anyone know of any good websites on the polish language? anyone had any experience with polish kids? anyone have any ideas how i can help this little boy, or what i can do with him? we have toddlers groups, dance classes and messy play to go to.

prettysunflower
01-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Contact your local sure start centre, there's loads of support available for carers of a child where english isn't their 1st language.
The department for children, schools and families (www.dcsf.gov.uk) has a useful booklet, "supporting children learning english as an additional language" (ref 00683-2007BKT-EN).
I wouldn't worry too much about the groups you attend, the little one will pick things up really quickly through observation and listening to what's going on around them, I've been caring for a couple of polish children for almost a year now and their English is becoming quite fluent now.

Lainey Lou
01-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Hiya, think there are quite a few good threads on here re: looking after Polish children etc. I posted something at one time as I looked after a Polish child and had quite alot of good responses that helped me out. Try a search and see what comes up. Think my post was titled 'language barrier'.
HTH :) x

carla
01-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Brilliant- thanks alot, will have a lok now!

x

Tinglesnark
01-03-2010, 09:22 PM
good luck :thumbsup: