PDA

View Full Version : When Are They Too Ill To Attend?

helenlc
01-03-2010, 04:26 PM
I have a little one who is 19 months old. She is normally very cheery and energetic and eats loads!!

This morning Mum said she had a bit of a cough so she had given her medicine. Mid morning she had a very soft poo (sorry tmi:blush: ) but not diarrhoea. She ate her snack but not her lunch. At soft play was quite whingey and clingy, not really joining in. After sleep, a small amount of even softer poo with hint of diarrhoea smell.:o

Now eating her dinner and is really struggling - she is having trouble breathing thru her nose whilst trying to eat and isnt eating with th enthusiasm she normally has for anything edible!!!

Her eyes arent sticky but they;re very heavy if you see what I mean. Quite a cough present and runny nose almost constantly.

I dont think she should be here but where does that leave me? She doesnt have D & V (yet, possibly does have as just done awful windy pops in the high chair!!!:laughing: ) and I say I will have them with a cold but not such a bad cold that they dont join in.

I might just say to mum later that I suspect she has an upset tummy but could be due to medicine. However, at the first sign of a dodgy tummy or her being more off colour tomorrow, I will expect her to be collected and taken home. Do you think this is fair?

little chickee
01-03-2010, 04:47 PM
I think this is fair - if a child is unwell to the point of not being able to join in normal routine and needing constant attention - which takes you away from the other mindees and with progressively looser bowel movements i would send home.

messyplay
01-03-2010, 05:06 PM
think this is fair to. children need their mum when they are ill, if you have school runs its not fair dragging her out

jumpinjen
01-03-2010, 05:13 PM
I agree with the above... If a child isn't well enough to be able to join in usual and planned activities (i.e. if they want to sit on my knee all the time/be carried) or they are too porrly to do the routine such as school run in the push chair then they don't come/go home. After a nasty round of sickness bugs, I send home at the first sign of runny/offensive smelling nappies now. A cold is a cold but being unable to eat and play means they aren't well enough to take part normally!

jenni:)

miffy
01-03-2010, 06:11 PM
I think this is fair - if a child is unwell to the point of not being able to join in normal routine and needing constant attention - which takes you away from the other mindees and with progressively looser bowel movements i would send home.

I agree with this.

Miffy xx

Pudding Girl
01-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Sounds perfickly fair to me :)

JJAY
01-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Sounds fair to me too.

helenlc
01-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Well I mentioned the poo's to mum and said to keep an eye on it. I also said that if they continued to get worse tomorrow, I would call her.

Will just have to wait and see. It could be the medicine she had this morning but she wasnt 100% all day.

Thanks for the advice:thumbsup:

little_gems
01-03-2010, 10:05 PM
hope she's better tomorrow :)

Bushpig
02-03-2010, 03:07 PM
How has she been today?

helenlc
02-03-2010, 03:09 PM
How has she been today?

Still not 100% but bottom has been fine!! She still has heavy eyes and runny nose. She has joined in with things but been a little whingey and she never is.

She is asleep at the moment - already had 2 hours - I normally wake her but she was yawning when I picked her up this morning so going to leave her a little longer. Poor thing.

little chickee
02-03-2010, 03:28 PM
I would let her sleep as long as she needs - its the best thing when they are ill its the body's way of coping.