PDA

View Full Version : Do you always tell people you're a childminder?

venus89
01-03-2010, 01:33 PM
I look after 2 children most days. We often meet mums who assume that they're my children. If we're chatting then I quite often don't mention I'm a CM rather than their Mum, unless they ask something like 'does he sleep well at night time?'. There's no particular reason for this, it's just that they don't really need to know.
Do you make a point of letting everyone know the children in your care aren't yours?

emma04
01-03-2010, 01:40 PM
I always mention the fact that i'm a childminder
A. because its good for business (spreading the word) and
B. because i have had a couple of people say ' Look at her with all them kids and no :censored: job.....and we're paying for that!' :eek: :eek:

Shocking, but there are a small minded few out there and, yes you guessed it....They wait until you've walked by before passing their comment!! When you've got a double buggy and 3 hanging off the side, it's a little difficult to stick up for yourself!:angry:

caz3007
01-03-2010, 01:42 PM
A lot of my children are part time and I have had a lot of children with me over the years. I think lots of people locally know I am a childminder cos of this, either that or I have been really busy having kids :)

little chickee
01-03-2010, 01:42 PM
I dont always say i'm a childminder - it depends who i'm taliking to or where i am.

I would never feel i had to justify why i had so many kids and was out during the day - its nobodys business!

pinklady
01-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Had to open the door for a delivery last Monday and all the mindees and ds followed me and stood at the stairgate. The man just looked at them all 2 16months, a 2 yr old and ds 3 then looked at me and without saying a word looked back down at his paperwork.

I could tell what he was thinking but decided I didn't need to explain myself in my own home! I do mention it when I'm out though.

Hebs
01-03-2010, 01:52 PM
i remember once during the holidays when cher was here with her mindees and we went to the shop to get lunch

i had 8 kids (6 mindees and my own) and cher had 4 kids

you can imagine the looks we got :laughing:

one old lady said we must be out on a school trip :clapping: close enough hahahaha

Jelly Baby
01-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Ha when i first started i used to have 3/4 and my friend the same or more in the hols with her kids and the looks we got as dont look that old!
I do tell people yes for word of mouth most of the time but at times you get people say something 'mummy' and i just think 'aah what the heck'!
The child i collect never has a coat and he came out last week into pouring rain, most people at school know i am a CM but the odd parent looked at me as if to say 'what an awful parent'!! sigh if only they knew how hard it can be!!

~Chelle~
01-03-2010, 02:25 PM
I always do, usually after someone always sayd "dont they look like you"! I always say I am their childminder and often leave them feeling a bit embarrased.:blush:

It does make me laugh though as all my mindees have blond hair and blues eyes and I am a redhead with brown eyes :laughing:

Bitsy Beans
01-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Nope as my 7 year old mindee is too busy telling them for me :rolleyes:

I'd mention it if it was relevant to the conversation but wouldn't say anything otherwise for fear of sounding like a walking advert :laughing:

Ripeberry
01-03-2010, 02:33 PM
I tell them when they ask me "How old is your son?" because otherwise it would be awkward if you saw them again :o
My daughters are quite proud of me being a CM and they will announce it to anyone who will listen, in shops mainly :littleangel:

Twinkles
01-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Sometimes.....I'm just very pleased when people think a baby is mine as I will be 50 this year :D

flora
01-03-2010, 03:39 PM
I only mentioned it , if it came up in conversation.

Otherwise I juts let people assume whatever suits them :D

louised
01-03-2010, 05:42 PM
no don't usually, but on the rare occasion they start acting up I might drop it into the conversation, don't want people thinking there mine if they're misbehaving:laughing:

patevans
01-03-2010, 05:52 PM
I always mention the fact that i'm a childminder
A. because its good for business (spreading the word) and
B. because i have had a couple of people say ' Look at her with all them kids and no :censored: job.....and we're paying for that!' :eek: :eek:
Shocking, but there are a small minded few out there and, yes you guessed it....They wait until you've walked by before passing their comment!! When you've got a double buggy and 3 hanging off the side, it's a little difficult to stick up for yourself!:angry:

I always get this from the old ladies at the bus stop :laughing:

LOOPYLISA
01-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Sometimes.....I'm just very pleased when people think a baby is mine as I will be 50 this year :D

:clapping: :clapping:

PixiePetal
01-03-2010, 06:47 PM
After 15 years of minding, most local people we come across know I am a CM.

mushpea
01-03-2010, 07:01 PM
I do somtimes like at the school the other day a mum whos child has just started there saw me turn up with different kids most days and in the end gave me a really funny look and said 'how many kids have you got then?' she was being nice but it just made me laugh then i explained that only 2 were mine.

singlewiththree
01-03-2010, 07:04 PM
I wear a logo top so its pretty obvious I'm a childminder :)

JJAY
01-03-2010, 08:43 PM
I do sometimes but not all the time. If I think there thinking badly of me having so many children I let it go over my head. It's none of their business. If I get comments like "their so good" or "how do you keep them all under control" i then tell them I'm a childminder, their always good for me.