PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what this job is?

Jelly Baby
01-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Ok yesterday dh said his friends friend! had a new job of looking after a young baby..the baby has moved in with them and she keeps him/her for around a year and then he/she moves on..i said to dh it sounded like fostering and i'm sure it probably comes under those terms but unsure? apparantly she only deals with babies and it is a set amount each week for a set period?
Reading that back it sounds silly as sure it must be but dh thinks not although he isn't sure but will try and find out.
With me having no current work soon he was asking why i didnt look into this..i said because we didnt have the room and it was a huge commitment to having another child move in etc but he said its only what i do now but 24 hours! the child HAS to sleep in your room anyway and as we have a big bedrrom thats not an issue.
Would it work with CM or not (just school runs)..im thinking its a lovely way to look after another child, earn and have a secure income coming in instead of worrying all the time. Obviously it's a lot more than that as another life to think of and getting attatched etc but worth thinking about..
Has anyone else done/heard of this?
Thanks

Chatterbox Childcare
01-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Maybe it is respite? Could be a lot of reasons. Ask the lady and I am sure she will point you in the right direction to find out.

Jelly Baby
01-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Could be..a year seemed like a long time though?..i will try and find out but through a friend of a friend!!
Thanks

Mollymop
01-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Does sound like fostering and maybe the woman just fosters babies?
Dunno!

Let us know when you find out

Cammie Doodle
01-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Mmm as a retired Foster Carer it seems strange to be able to say its for a year as babies can get adopted very quickly, but I agree with Debbie it could be respite care for ie a young Mum, a Poorly Mum a Single Dad etc.

youarewhatyoueat
01-03-2010, 01:15 PM
There are lots of new schemes around through social services, they tend not to be called respite any more. I'm just in the process of putting my name forward for a similar scheme but I only want to do daytime.
If you speak to your early years department to see if there are any trials in your area, in ours it is all about inclusion at the moment, and since i've now got my nvq3 it has opened lots of new doors.

Jelly Baby
01-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Thanks ladies ill look into it. youarewhatyoueat How does the daytime work as opposed to nights..where does the child go at night? i saw this as basically another child living with you for a very long time?
Thanks for the reply very helpful

Cammie Doodle
01-03-2010, 10:09 PM
I used to be a community Childminder for Social Services years back. I used to be called on at short notice to "help" out