PDA

View Full Version : Garden Toys, Activities & Resources

Chell
01-03-2010, 11:24 AM
What do you have in your garden?

Our garden is very small and on a slight slope so not ideal for bikes, slides, swings, etc.

We have a decking area near to the patio door and a small play house. The play house needs to be used for storage of things like scooters as well as being just a play house.

On my course on Saturday the tutor was emphasing the importance of time outdoors. It is sunny so we are going to pop out there later and have a tidy.

I thought I'd get some storage shelfs or something in the play house and chose some toys to go out or perhaps buy some from the charity shop/car boot sale.

I have some cards that I printed before we were told not to use SB that have little activites like throwing balls, running round cones, etc. I will laminate those to keep in the play house. I also have a bug spotters chart to laminate. Someone mentioned hanging things with clothes pegs, I thought I could find a safe way attaching some string/ribbon to the play house for this.

Any other ideas what to buy or make? What toys do you children like to play with?

We have a tiny (very tiny) raised veg patch so we will grow peas again this year and some potatoes in buckets. I've got a bird feeder and have ordered a bird box from the Robinsons promotion.

caz3007
01-03-2010, 12:37 PM
How about something for water/sand play. At our toddler group they just use a stacking box, and it works, so anything would do, as you are short on space.

Perhaps a tunnel or tent that collapses down. We used to have a small cheap tent and they loved that, used to have their lunch out there, take blankets and teddies. Must get one again actually

Just looked on Ebay and they have a cheap 2 man tent for 9.99 and no P & P, its very similar to what we had before from Tesco, so think may order it as the children I had then loved it way more than the play house, cos it didnt get spiders in it :)

miss mopple
01-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Sounds good :thumbsup:

My garden is tiny too and Im looking at ways to improve my outdoor provision. I want to add mirrors, a weaving frame and some logs and things.

Standard play equipment I have is

sandpit
slide
ride ons
wendy house (I turn this into different things like a shop/ ice cream parlour etc through the summer)
huge pilates ball that the kids love rolling over
rocking horse
bats and balls
water table
mini trampoline
bouncy castle

I also hang things like scarves and ribbons from a washing line that goes across the garden- the babies love it!

babydayz
01-03-2010, 12:59 PM
You could get some windchimes and sun and wind catchers, that spin around and make pretty patterns on the floor/fences
Windmills
Attach a blackboard to the fence

Chell
01-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Thanks, there is a play tunnel in there too, I've just ventured out! We've got a two man tent that my own children used last year so that is a good idea too, I forgot about that.

My main problem is storage. We have a small shed and no garage so the play house tends to become the storage. It would be impossible to have it looking pretty/furnished IYSWIM. I've just been looking for a little storage unit/shelf to put in there but I can't find anything reasonably priced.

caz3007
01-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Do you have Freecycle in your area, you can get some great bits and pieces from there such as bookshelves and bits

Jelly Baby
01-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Hmm our garden looks and is empty at the mo as verything is in the shed! problem is we have a new park very very close to us (2 min walk) so i decided agaist paying out for stuff like sldies etc as we have easy access to them there.
In the shed i have:

2 Man tent..kids love that and is a good shade area when hot..if ever hot!
bats and balls
paddling pool was x 2 but one ripped so currently smaller one for balls.
Cricket set
Golf set
Blackboard and chalks..they do this on the board or the patio
lots of rugs

Need to get for this summer some ride alongs and a water/sand table

terrydoo73
01-03-2010, 02:33 PM
I have a playhouse which doubles as storage too. I put up small shelves and then have hooks to which I attach large storage bins for small items - balls, trucks and lorries etc. I did set up a small table to put a dolls house on and the children love this. I have also got a collapsible easel for chalk on one side and painting on the other. Children love chairs so I have loads of these - I am going to buy a small garden seat this year as it will be low and could get 3 on it at a time! The floor area is usually used for a train track!

One thing I was told at my last inspection - no trampolines as insurance issue - yes even the small low ones and I can see their reasoning behind it.

snufflepuff
01-03-2010, 08:22 PM
One thing I was told at my last inspection - no trampolines as insurance issue - yes even the small low ones and I can see their reasoning behind it.

The inspector that came for my pre-reg visit said as long as i have parental permission and the children are supervised its fine, and of course no little toddlers, school age only. We bought it just before i decided to become a childminder and i was so worried we would have to get rid of it! Its a big one with a safety surround, no sure if that makes a difference?

PixiePetal
01-03-2010, 08:35 PM
If your garden is sloping, how about getting some guttering/pipes for water play?

My garden is big and I don't know where to start! My kids are grown up, well, teens so I don't want to be getting slides and huge stuff just for mindees and then have to look at it all when they are not here :rolleyes:

Once we are out there more in the lovely weather which I am sure will stay eventually :rolleyes: I will have a good look for ideas. Mindees are all under 3 so will need to be for that age group.

clare78
01-03-2010, 10:50 PM
i have over 8s this year in the summer holidays for the first time normally have all under 5s. my problem is what do overs 8s do in the garden i have all kinds of things for the smaller children slides,ball pits,sand pits etc but need something for the older ones. what does everyone else do to keep them entertained all day.

crazyhazy
01-03-2010, 11:10 PM
If your garden is sloping, how about getting some guttering/pipes for water play?

My garden is big and I don't know where to start! My kids are grown up, well, teens so I don't want to be getting slides and huge stuff just for mindees and then have to look at it all when they are not here :rolleyes:

Once we are out there more in the lovely weather which I am sure will stay eventually :rolleyes: I will have a good look for ideas. Mindees are all under 3 so will need to be for that age group.

As someone with two children myself, not long turned 3 and one of 17m, I can definately recommend some sort of ride on or car for them to play in, sand/water is always a hit here, if you have a patio? Last year my girls had loads of fun painting the patio with water, super cheap and easy. But since we moved here the best garden toys have been a little lawn mower, wheel barrow and gardening set with watering can, spades etc, both of them will spend ages playing with these things and again quite cheap to pick up and small to store.

As for me, I'm wishing I hadn't read this post cos I'm desperate to buy the water run, mini golf set and the little sand pit but really can't justify sending any money till I see if I can definately get a grant :(