PDA

View Full Version : new breakfast club

mabel
01-03-2010, 10:07 AM
our village school has started a breakfast club, upto now I have been full with school aged children and couple of little ones.
But the new breakfast club and after school club will destroy my business
it is amazing how these things can happen, I charge £3 an hour but breakfast
club is only £1 so I don't blame my parents moving their children to it, many I mind for are school teachers so they only need term time anyway.
We have 4 minders here with nice little businesses all going belly up.

Its amazing that farmers can get subsides when business goes belly up
but what about childminders, my income will half now.
It is strange because we have one small food shop in our village, but if another one set up and charge 1/3 of the price for their food and put the
other out of business it would not be allowed, yet it seems okay to do it to childminders? have any other minders gone through this and how have you weathered the storm ?

Lady Haha
01-03-2010, 10:13 AM
How much is the after school club?

I have always charged 8.00 flat rate for 3.15 til 6pm to stay in competition with the clubs, even though there isn't one at the moment! There was one charging the same when I first started minding so I set my price to match theirs, but even when it shut, I didn't put my prices up. I think the parents know that they get a much better service with me than at an after school club, so if I'm the same price, the kids will come here! If the club is cheaper, then the temptation for them to use the club is always going to be there even if it's rubbish!!!

I recently lost all my before schoolers to the new breakfast club which is FREE!!! I can't compete with that!

So, my advice to you is to match the afterschool club fee and its very likely you will keep your mindees! I know this will be a drop in income, but it's better than losing that income altogether!

our village school has started a breakfast club, upto now I have been full with school aged children and couple of little ones.
But the new breakfast club and after school club will destroy my business
it is amazing how these things can happen, I charge £3 an hour but breakfast
club is only £1 so I don't blame my parents moving their children to it, many I mind for are school teachers so they only need term time anyway.
We have 4 minders here with nice little businesses all going belly up.

Its amazing that farmers can get subsides when business goes belly up
but what about childminders, my income will half now.
It is strange because we have one small food shop in our village, but if another one set up and charge 1/3 of the price for their food and put the
other out of business it would not be allowed, yet it seems okay to do it to childminders? have any other minders gone through this and how have you weathered the storm ?

solly
01-03-2010, 10:13 AM
I know how you feel, I have just lost two children to the breakfast club/after school club as they charge less than me. I have lost others in the past as well. I have also had a couple who have wanted to use the kids club in the term time then me in the holidays and inset days as the kids club is only term time only. I have declined

mabel
01-03-2010, 10:43 AM
a £1 per child !!!

Hebs
01-03-2010, 10:46 AM
i really think we need to complaint to someone

i know the government is wanting everyone to have access to afforadable childcare, but at what cost to those trying to make a living???

£1 per child for breakfast club, i charge £5 per child

:panic: