PDA

View Full Version : ideas for school hols with older kids plz

mushpea
28-02-2010, 07:41 PM
after 3years of having preschoolers and children who love messy play or arts and crafts ect I am now not going to have these children in the holidays and it leaves me with 3 children age 11,9 and 6 who arent into messy play or arts and crafts and it struck me tonight that i am stuck for ideas of what to do with them at home in the hols, i can think of lots of places to take them where we prehaps wouldnt have gone if i had little ones but I need some ideas of what i can do at home either indoors or the garden with them in the hols other than the wii or computer!! I did think of science experiments but havent a clue where to start so any ideas (not just science) would be great if you have them please. the 11yrold is a girl and the other 2 are boys and the oldest 2 are my own children.
its weird cause when i found out the others were term time only i kinda thought oh relaxin hols as the 3 that are left are quite easily entertained when out but i sort of forgot about at home:blush:

little_gems
28-02-2010, 07:51 PM
sorry cant really help would love to see what ideas poeople come up with. As we have
2 x 15 months
1 x 2 years
1 x 3 years
1 x 4 years
1 x 5 years and
1 x 8 years
so could do with some ideas to keep evryone happy

prettysunflower
28-02-2010, 11:21 PM
I always ask mine what kind of things they like doing, we have had movie afternoons with a dvd and popcorn (made by the children in a popcorn machine), they have made pizzas using a french bread dough mix for the base and various toppings and grated cheese on top. Kids always seem to enjoy cooking and making a mess at any age:D . I managed to get some grown up colouring books which they enjoy doing for short periods and bought some how to draw books which were also popular. Monopoly and scrabble are also popular. I brought the large marble run from ELC and they all love working out how to put it together, they did a better job than me :laughing: Lego/meccano/knex is always a good one for 6 to 10 year olds, we have painted tiles, made mosaic pictures with mosaic squares and tried some sewing, basic cross stitch and knitting, younger ones can do finger knitting.

Hope this helps you.

Amanda x

mushpea
01-03-2010, 06:55 AM
yes we make pizzas every thursday for tea which they love, they also enjoy cooking so could do some of that, as for colouring they have no interested, i have lego and marble run so will save them for the hols i think, both the boys have a fairly short attention span and without the wii are bored very easily, i dont mind them going on it for short periods but not all day but i think at home the 6yrold is on the wii all the time and seems to have forgotton how to play!
i also have the super fort but the always argue over the peices as they want to make their own space ship etc but theres not enough if they share it out to do their own thing