PDA

View Full Version : RA'S Daily (laminated or paper)?

It's a small world
28-02-2010, 04:02 PM
My friend had her Ofsted inspection last week and I know others who have had them and used the below:

For their daily RA's they have a laminated copy on their door and just tick every day to show that its been done.

Now I feel that this is good as saving paper on the environment , however Im still a little dubious as how can you prove to Ofsted that this has been done everyday iyswim?

I have an a4 monthly chart (shows daily ra's/weekly ra's and monthly ra's such as cleaning etc as well) and I tick them accordingly and change each month and file old copy away.

I was wondering if I still used this but laminated it and then have another a4 sheet for the year with boxes (RA'S COMPLETED/ACTIONS REQUIRED/DATE/SIGNTAURE) for each month and then another one showing what actions have been taken if any and my signature and date they were done . This will then be 3 pieces of paper instead of 12. But would it be acceptable?

Parents will be able to see the one I have on display
Ofsted can see the one on display when they visit my home and my yearly one with any actions required in my file.

Opinions accepted.

Just to let you know I know a cm who got outstanding and uses the laminated version ???? intersting to hear you comments.

Hope Ive made sense?

mamasheshe
28-02-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm new and also unsure about this I've decided to do a laminated one with an actions taken diary eg

29th Feb plug socket cover not on plug replaced signature

I'm welcome to idea too x
i guess i could sign in the book ras checklist done

Karaza
08-04-2010, 08:09 AM
I have a laminated copy of my risk assessment then an a4 sheet per week that lists

risk assessments carried out indoors and days m,t,w,th,f,
risk assessments carried out for outings and days m,t,w,th,f,
smoke alarms tested with space for date and time
Toys that have been cleaned
Toys that have been rotated
Whether Learning Journeys have been updated

Have found this saves loads of paperwork whilst not loosing any of the necessary recording

singingcactus
08-04-2010, 09:10 AM
I use a large desk diary. That way I have a record of it over the year and I can note down weekly/monthly group planning and anything else that needs a note keeping that is not confidential. (bugs me though that I have to keep an official record of things like this just so someone can glance their eyes over it once every three years)

mama2three
08-04-2010, 01:54 PM
I have a daily checklist in my ra file , and my ra policy states this check is undertaken daily. But i dont 'tick' anything to say ive done it!

sonia ann
08-04-2010, 02:03 PM
I have a daily checklist in my ra file , and my ra policy states this check is undertaken daily. But i dont 'tick' anything to say ive done it!

same here...I just make a record of anything I find wrong ,how I corrected it and sign and date it on a separate list.....Ofsted were happy

mummyof3
08-04-2010, 03:05 PM
I have a full risk assessment of all rooms in house listing the dangers and then I have a checklist mtwtf where i tick and initial to say it has all been checked. Ofsted were happy with this and even commented in my report about my thorough risk assessment recording. 8 weeks to a sheet of a4 so not too much paper.

Hayley G
24-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Would anyone mind sharing there daily risk assessment as I am struggling.

margaret
24-04-2010, 05:12 PM
i was ofsteded two weeks ago ,and graded outstanding ,for second time,(have to blow my own trumpet no one else will ) im not superwoman and i certainly dont know everything ,i do not write down/tick everything i do ,its my house and i risk assess daily without writing it down,whats the point ,i told lady i could fill in paper forms for paper sake and could just falsify it ,i risk assess every room on a daily room,family get used to putting everything away ,they are taught to risk assess and tidy up as they go.If you go on childrens accident prevention trust website it tells you that you no longer have to use socket covers ,(loads of other useful info ) ofsted was 100% behind this ,children have to learn that you dont touch sockets,you dont have to put everything out of reach of kids (not talking matches ,lighters ,tablets here)children have to learn what they can and cannot touch and reasons why . Hope this makes sense , ofsted is not all about paperwork ,although it does seem a lot sometimes they are coming into our homes to see if they are safe and we keep other peoples children safe.

I saw a cm out recently with mindee at park,running up slide ,child only 19mths,yes child could do it but not aware of dangers.
Another cm allowing own child to run around with lolly in mouth - child died last year after choking on lolly.

Now ive started i cant stop sorry ,rant over , only wanted to say you dont need all this paperwork

sarak31
24-04-2010, 05:22 PM
I don't write it down daily either - I have a 'daily risk assessment' written out in full that stays in my file to show what I do - but I don't tick / write that I have done it every day - I just tell Ofsted that I have for the same reason that Margaret says, I could just falsify it (and I know cms that do) so I don't see the point, I know I do it - I've been told by ofsted that the written daily risk assessement is fine just to be kept in file to show what I do and I don't have to do anything further on a daily basis. I do it automatically every morning and that's enough - don't need to tick anything to say I have.

Who knows though, next ofsted visit might tell me something different! :rolleyes:

Helga
20-05-2010, 09:12 AM
I have a laminated daily RA tick chart with no written back up and I was graded outstanding only last month. I do have quite extensive written risk assessments and reviews that overlap and I do record if anything is untoward. I also said that I was visually risk assessing all the time and she felt that most childminders were very good at this and that it reflected in their written RA's.