PDA

View Full Version : telling the time help plz

mushpea
28-02-2010, 03:19 PM
hi my son is learning to tell the time at school but is struggling with it so wonded if any of you new of any good websites with telling the time themes, i especialy wanted some print outs of 'times' that i can put around my own clock so he gets used to the '5 past' and '5 too' thing

sarah707
28-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Past and to usually develop well if you draw loads of circles together in a clockwise direction ...

start at 12 o'clock then as you draw towards 6 o'clock focus on 'past' then after 6 o'clock back up to 12 it's a focus on 'to'.

It can be confused by using digital clocks / watches so focus just on a traditional clock face to start with.

Hth :D

The Juggler
28-02-2010, 03:38 PM
The ELC board clock used to have the two halves in different colours with 'past 'printed on one side and 'To' written on the other. It was only a couple of pounds.

My ds still struggles and he is 10!

mushpea
28-02-2010, 03:51 PM
The ELC board clock used to have the two halves in different colours with 'past 'printed on one side and 'To' written on the other. It was only a couple of pounds.

My ds still struggles and he is 10!

My son is 9 and doesent get it at all so i thought if i found some stuff for younger children it would help him with the basics,

The Juggler
28-02-2010, 04:09 PM
My son is 9 and doesent get it at all so i thought if i found some stuff for younger children it would help him with the basics,

it does help. As does getting them to draw their own little clocks to work out the time. If he knows his 5 x tables easily practising actually just adding on all the 5 mins works. Unfortunately for my DS he still doesn't realise when the adding on stops and the taking away starts (for the 'past' and 'to' again). A clock on a white board would be good one you could get him to draw the numbers on and write the minutes outside and he/you could draw the hands in different positions then get him to write the minutes on the outside (5, 10 etc) as practice .

Def. recommend the ELC one if this is the case though.