PDA

View Full Version : feel inexperienced to parents

samkeddy
27-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Had my first meeting with a parent last week, and although we got on great and if she gets the job she's applying for then i should be having the child, i felt really inexperienced as i havnt had mindees yet and didnt work in childcare before this and my 2 children are younger than hers! When she asked about my experience i explained about the course but didnt know what else to add, anyone got any advice i'd be gratefull as dont want to sound such a newbee with anymore parents!! x

Gizmo
27-02-2010, 09:04 PM
I am just the same as you I have 2 children of my own but no childcare experience. I have been minding for 7 months and all my parents are happy once they see me with my own kids, the only one that never called back was a mum of a 12 year old who had been at home since she was born and decided to go back to work she phoned me asking about before/after school care she asked me as my own children where younger what experience did I have with 12 year olds my answer, well I used to be one, she never called me back and as far as I know she hasnt gone back to work yet :laughing:

francinejayne
27-02-2010, 09:21 PM
being a parent is the best experience of all! and although your children haven't got to the age of others yet, they will do one day and somehow you'll cope with them and everything will continue to be as wonderful then as it is now! no child comes with a manual when they are born - you learn what you are doing with them as you go along, and that will be what you do as a childminder. even if you did have experience of that particular age, every child is different anyway!
Have confidence in yourself and I'm sure you'll be fine!
(though saying all that, I'm newly registered and dreading my first parent meeting!!! :laughing: even though I've go 3 children ranging in ages from 15 years to 22 months!)

christine e
27-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Don't sell yourself short - you are experienced in childcare as you have 2 children of your own!

Cx

samkeddy
28-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks everyone i feel beter now!!!

Ripeberry
28-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Having kids of your own is the best qualification you can have, the rest is a bonus :)

upadaisy
28-02-2010, 12:56 PM
hi there, you have 24 / 7 experience the best you can get........:laughing: