PDA

View Full Version : Enrollin on childcare course....

Mandy75x
27-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Hi...im about to enrol on a childcare course.."Child learning and development ocn level 3 accreditaion"..has anyone done this course and is it the right way to go as i want to become a registered childminder eventually?? it suits my lifestyle-i.e the hours,lengh,monthly costs etc!:confused:

doodles
27-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Hiya,

I am already a childminder and have been told that i cannot do a level 3 qualification, i have to complete the level 2 first. Have you been told you can enrol?
Are you currently working in childcare as they asses you at work.
hth

cher25
27-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Hi, I have been a childminder for 3 years now and am just about to finish that course. You must be working in childcare to do the course. So if your not already then it might be worth waiting till your childminding.

Pipsqueak
27-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Hiya,

I am already a childminder and have been told that i cannot do a level 3 qualification, i have to complete the level 2 first. Have you been told you can enrol?
Are you currently working in childcare as they asses you at work.
hth

sorry thats twaddle what you have been told - re level 2 - 3.

Level 3 is management level - which is what you are. You run your own business.
I would challenge it.

I never done a level 2 in anything, just straight into level 3 and I know many many minders who have done the same.

Pipsqueak
27-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Hi...im about to enrol on a childcare course.."Child learning and development ocn level 3 accreditaion"..has anyone done this course and is it the right way to go as i want to become a registered childminder eventually?? it suits my lifestyle-i.e the hours,lengh,monthly costs etc!:confused:

Hi there Mandy

To become a childminder you will have to pass the course that your local authority runs - normally the ICP (it can be named DHC unit 1 in some places - the ICP is the first unit of the full DHC). ICP/DHC is a level 3 qualification.

i would check with your LA that the course you are doing is going to be acceptable for your registration. It might be that you can do this course as an extra for professional development.

The Juggler
27-02-2010, 11:39 PM
I told my sister the same (she was in a pre-school) and she persuaded them to let her go straight in at level 3. You just cover the same ground just in more detail and more evidence so you might as well get it all over and done with at once.

doodles
28-02-2010, 07:52 AM

I would challenge it.

I never done a level 2 in anything, just straight into level 3 and I know many many minders who have done the same.

Thanks!! Will call them on monday :D

Pipsqueak
28-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks!! Will call them on monday :D

you are welcome use the argument (if you have to) that the ICP is the first unit of the DHC (diploma in homebased childcare) and the DHC is a LEVEL 3.
So why on earth do you need to go backwards?

Is it a private company? If it is, then of course they want you to do a level 2 - more money for them by you doing a l2 then l3

Pauline
28-02-2010, 10:42 AM

I would challenge it.

Yep same here, went straight to Level 3 - never did level 2 :)

manjay
28-02-2010, 10:47 AM
you are welcome use the argument (if you have to) that the ICP is the first unit of the DHC (diploma in homebased childcare) and the DHC is a LEVEL 3.

Is it a private company? If it is, then of course they want you to do a level 2 - more money for them by you doing a l2 then l3

I agree totally. When I first looked into starting studying my assessor said based on what I was actually doing she would recommend I started on a level 4! As I had never worked in child care before I wanted to gain a broader knowledge so felt level 3 was right for me. I would definitely say level 2 is too low for the job we do.

I think OCN works dfferently from NVQ so not totally sure about that one. It might not be a vocational qualification so you may not have to be working in child care to do. Personally I would get yourself registered and then look to do your NVQ3 through your Early Years team.

amanda x

Mandy75x
28-02-2010, 12:06 PM
i am soo confused as to what to do....???:(
i have been passed around so much since last year by everyone..and now the course i was about to do has dissapeared off the website...??
i want to do a home online child care course...i have a 6 and 2 yr old,please can someone help....so frustrated by all this:mad: ..and this is soo what i want to do...advice plse asap,thanks.

jaja
28-02-2010, 04:15 PM
ring your do, and she she be able to tell you about funding and the courses which you can do, try googling the nec, who do the diploma in home based childcare, i just did this and found it good...

Pipsqueak
28-02-2010, 04:42 PM
i am soo confused as to what to do....???:(
i have been passed around so much since last year by everyone..and now the course i was about to do has dissapeared off the website...??
i want to do a home online child care course...i have a 6 and 2 yr old,please can someone help....so frustrated by all this:mad: ..and this is soo what i want to do...advice plse asap,thanks.

Have you actually done your ICP (or your local authority equivelent)? Its just that in your OP you say you want to go on to be a reg childminder.
To be a reg'd childminder (presuming you are England based) then you need to contact:

local FIS or council and get onto one of their pre-registrations - this will tell you all you need to know about registering
you will be given all the necessary forms - for ofsted, crb, medical declaration etc
you will then be booked onto the ICP (or LA equivelent) and you need to do a first aid course as well
during all this your forms will be processing at the relevant places
ofsted will come out and do a pre-reg check

you will get to know your development officer in your area during all this time and they will be able to advise your re courses, funding etc. Many LA's offer different types of courses and training - often free of charge or will a small charge

doodles
28-02-2010, 05:49 PM

It was my local college, as i have just started childminding they said i didnt have the relevent experience to go straight onto level 3. Will ring them tomorrow and see what they say!

Pipsqueak
28-02-2010, 09:46 PM
It was my local college, as i have just started childminding they said i didnt have the relevent experience to go straight onto level 3. Will ring them tomorrow and see what they say!

Good for you and don't take any flannel. Ask them why NCMA recommends level 3 and actively promotes level 3 from DHC through to NVQ. Sounds like they don't have a clue about childminders!
Let us know what they say once you have educated them lol

My local college tried to tell me that seeing as I was only a childminder I wouldn't be able to do the FD as my type of work didn't fit in with FD:rolleyes: