PDA

View Full Version : pick-ups

chelle
14-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Hi, i have had a couple of enquiries over the past few weeks asking me if i can do drop offs/pick ups from another school that starts and finishes the same time as the one i take my daughter too(which is the one i said i would only do)the problem is i still havent got any mindees yet and i am worrying that it is never going to happen, so what i was wondering is does any one do drop offs/pick ups from different schools that finish at the same time and how do you work round it :( i dont have a problem doing this i just dont like to think of leaving a child waiting:( although it would probably only be about 10mins, hope i explained myself ok:)
chelle.xx

Twinkles
14-03-2008, 09:25 PM
I pick up from two local schools that both finish at five past three. I asked the second school if it would be possible for them to keep the children for ten minutes extra and they were quite happy to do this. As long as you let the teachers know what is happening they should be ok with it. TBH it's tha office staff who get to look after the children for the last few minutes so if you can get them onside you'll be ok. I keep them sweet by bribery ( chocs every now and then :D ) I also make a point of thanking them every day and let them know how much I appreciate it.
Getting there late also ensures a parking space - bonus !!

miffy
14-03-2008, 09:31 PM
I only pick up from one school - by the time I've collected all the children I would be much longer than 10 minutes late if I tried to collect from the other school too

Miffy xx

chelle
14-03-2008, 09:48 PM
I pick up from two local schools that both finish at five past three. I asked the second school if it would be possible for them to keep the children for ten minutes extra and they were quite happy to do this. As long as you let the teachers know what is happening they should be ok with it. TBH it's tha office staff who get to look after the children for the last few minutes so if you can get them onside you'll be ok. I keep them sweet by bribery ( chocs every now and then :D ) I also make a point of thanking them every day and let them know how much I appreciate it.
Getting there late also ensures a parking space - bonus !!

hi twinkles, is it down to the childminder to ask the teachers or the parent!!

berkschick
14-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Interesting thread!

I have just been asked to have a little boy from 7.30am and drop him at school but it isnt my childrens school so the child would be 5 mins late. Mum seems to think this will be ok! I have given her numbers of other minders I know who do cover the school in the hope she will find someone else. I wasnt even advertising as I had decided not to take on anymore but I cant say no :panic:

Im interested to see what other peoples experiance is of this.

sarah707
14-03-2008, 10:48 PM
I pick up from 2 schools... at 1130 and 315... I got to the closest one first, then we all potter off to the other, further away.

It's fine when it's not raining! :D

lizzymoonshine
14-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Yes i do a nursery run at 11.20 and then another one 2 miles away at 11.30. you can guarantee on the day i need to be away from the first nursery they decide to be late letting us in, so by the time i get to the 2nd nursery i am about five minutes late, but both me and the parent had a word with the nursery staff and they are ok with it. To be honest, there are usually parents running in after me too! and the little boy i look after tends to come out better when everyone else has gone! (i don't have to prize him out from under the table! i'm not granny you see). :)

Clever Clogs
14-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Hi there

I had to say no to my first potential mindees because of this. I pick my daughter up at 3.15 from her school but a mum was needing her 2 picked up at 3.30pm 20 mins or so away from where I stay!! Nightmare cause it would have set me up quite well.

Me and my friend take a week about collecting our daughters so I had thought about changing it so I took our two kids to school and she collected them but then thought it might not be too fair on my daughter so decided against it. So tbh not sure the best way to get round it. Good ideas earlier about the school keeping them that 10 mins extra but suppose that would be up to the parent to sort out??

Hope you find a solution - it's horrible having to say no isn't it?

Tracey

Twinkles
15-03-2008, 12:22 AM
hi twinkles, is it down to the childminder to ask the teachers or the parent!!

Initially the parent asked the teacher, but now the office staff are so used to me they know that if a child is left over it's usually one of mine :blush:

chelle
15-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Hi , thanks everyone for your replys really appreciate it :thumbsup:
luv chelle.x :D

Alibali
15-03-2008, 04:34 PM
I personally wouldn't do this. What if there is a problem at the first school you pick up from and the other children are left waiting, and I also think it would be horrible for the child that is always last to be collected. Just my opinion though. Hope the phone starts ringing. :)
Alison

casey's mum
15-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Twinkles, that is a fab idea! Icollect a lo from a school 5 mins away from my lot! Lo comes out 3.15 and mine 3.10. What I have been doing for the last year is getting my mum to pick my lot up which kinda defeats the object! May use the bribery thing it sounds great! lol!

Angela xx

disney
16-03-2008, 02:11 PM
i will be picking up from two schools in april that finish at the same time ,as one child will be at playschool and the other is going to be at school and both finish at 12 am . i will ask the playschool if they would hold on for no more than 10 mins why i pick school child up first , the playschool never opens doors until 5 past any way so it should be ok .if you explain im sure they will be fine , often they are still tyding up at 10 past any way . be sides if you was a parent and you could still have this problem too .:)

Michelle M
16-03-2008, 08:09 PM
I was in the same situation as you last year, and the other pick up was 10 minutes later than my daughers School finish time, I used to get there on time for the pickup but as I started to fill my places, with younger ones, it took time to get them in the car, strapped in, and down to the other School. I was getting there later and later and the boy got upst not knowing if I was coming for him or not, in the end I was getting there 10-20 minutes later depending on traffic and weather more people use their cars when the weahter is bad, and then I had to park at the other School and get the children out and into the pushchairs.

I gave notice a month ago and am so much more relaxed not having to stress to get to the other School. He will still be coming in the Holidays to me.

The School also agreedthat it wasnt fair on all parties involved, teachers having to wait etc.

I wouldnt recommend it, let us know what you decide.

Michelle xx

Nix
16-03-2008, 08:11 PM
I'm with Twinkles on this.

I have two schools that finish at the same time. I spoke to both schools and explained and both have been great. The children understand and whilst I appreciate it's not great that one child has to wait it does work!

And there's space to park!:thumbsup:

Good luck.

Nix, x