PDA

View Full Version : open ended play resources

childmind04
26-02-2010, 07:39 PM
I am sick to death of the same plastic toys around but not really being played with, and want to change my resources to be more natural and open ended, has anyone got any good ideas or websites with reasonable prices things??

The Juggler
27-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Lots of construction blocks/materials in different shapes sizes and textures.

In dressing up , lots of bits of materials that can be used for anything, broom handles for horses etc.

I know what you mean about teh plastic but you'll find that they adapt fine, the banana becomes a phone, the puzzle pieces become biscuits in the home corner - they find their own open-ends for the resources which are predefined.

Blaze
28-02-2010, 12:25 AM
You also need to consider the hygiene aspect - plastic is very easy to keep kleep whereas other types can prove more of a challenge! Also they tend not to be as hard wearing, so choose caerfully!:)

jumpinjen
28-02-2010, 07:56 AM
I have baskets of animals like farm, dinosaurs, wild animals, arctic etc, and then a basket of natural materials like pebbles and stones, bark, twigs, pine cones, shells, trays and sturdy boxes that become ponds, caves, houses etc, and some wraps that were three for £5 in natural colours, like brown, green and blue, and the children make their own play scenes..... I don't have a police house, a shop, a garage, a school etc like happy land or little people playsets..... we have building blocks of various types/sizes as well as planks, short lenghts of guttering, small boards for roofs, and small wooden figures and a basket of vehicles of all types and the children build their own hospitals, garages etc.... their imagination is wonderful, it encourages collaborative play, I find that they constantly change the structure so it flows with their play, I thoroughly recommend going down this route!!

I actually find that plastic is not as durable as wooden materials, and it certainly doesn't feel as nice for the children to play with, or look as nice... there is an argument that children end up sensory deprived if they only ever get to handle plastic items. Whilst I agree that plastic is easier to disinfect, that isn't the only consideration, and a smaller amount of very open-ended flexible resources are easier to store and care for also, soooo

Go for it!!!

Jenni:)

TheBTeam
28-02-2010, 08:41 AM
I have baskets of animals like farm, dinosaurs, wild animals, arctic etc, and then a basket of natural materials like pebbles and stones, bark, twigs, pine cones, shells, trays and sturdy boxes that become ponds, caves, houses etc, and some wraps that were three for £5 in natural colours, like brown, green and blue, and the children make their own play scenes..... I don't have a police house, a shop, a garage, a school etc like happy land or little people playsets..... we have building blocks of various types/sizes as well as planks, short lenghts of guttering, small boards for roofs, and small wooden figures and a basket of vehicles of all types and the children build their own hospitals, garages etc.... their imagination is wonderful, it encourages collaborative play, I find that they constantly change the structure so it flows with their play, I thoroughly recommend going down this route!!

I actually find that plastic is not as durable as wooden materials, and it certainly doesn't feel as nice for the children to play with, or look as nice... there is an argument that children end up sensory deprived if they only ever get to handle plastic items. Whilst I agree that plastic is easier to disinfect, that isn't the only consideration, and a smaller amount of very open-ended flexible resources are easier to store and care for also, soooo

Go for it!!!

Jenni:)

I like this idea, but doesnt the stuff like bark and cones make a mess all over the place, might consider this for outside in the drier weather though!

jumpinjen
28-02-2010, 09:39 AM
The cones don't make a mess, but the bark can be a bit messy.... you can put shallow trays out for the children to build their play worlds in if you want to.... i have laminate floor that I sweep several times a day as it always seems to be covered in bits of craft, crumbs from lunch/snack etc so the bark doesn't bother me! You could use twigs/sawn circles from larger pieces of branch instead if you want!

jenni

balloon
28-02-2010, 10:15 AM
wood has a natural antiseptic property so is more hygienic than plastic :)

I have an 'imagination station' box full of lengths of materials, little bits and bobs of natural stuff like cones, etc.

childmind04
28-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks for that Jenni, sounds just like i was wanting :)

I have found a few things this weekend but need to look for some things like the small planks, i have the trofast range as i only have my living room so going to get the shelves and try and find baskets instead of the plastic storage and keep these for the shed :)

I have been finding the plastic is not lasting bits getting snapped, bitten etc and i am just looking for a change :)

jumpinjen
28-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Thanks for that Jenni, sounds just like i was wanting :)

I have found a few things this weekend but need to look for some things like the small planks, i have the trofast range as i only have my living room so going to get the shelves and try and find baskets instead of the plastic storage and keep these for the shed :)

I have been finding the plastic is not lasting bits getting snapped, bitten etc and i am just looking for a change :)

Oh great..... i find my baskets from ikea, so you could take some back to where the trofast units are displayed and have a play to see what fits!!

I also get baskets from au naturelle, Dunelms, pound shops, home bargains, wherever has them on offer really!!

But there is no reason why you can't use the trofast trays to store your resources in, labele them with pics and words at the front, they are transportable and large.... it is the resources in it that the children are interested in, baskets don't really matter!!

Jen x

terrydoo73
28-02-2010, 10:28 PM
I went down the line of wooden toys as I thought they might be more durable - how wrong I was. I bought the wooden farm set from ELC and have just asked my father to actually put screws in it as the dowels do not keep the walls together! The first day I had the wooden playhouse out one of the little wooden chairs was snapped in 2 just by a child standing on it! Also a child fell on my wooden sorter last week and cut his cheek quite badly! I know what you mean about same old same old with plastic toys and I hate the fact they are all so brightly coloured too!

childmind04
28-02-2010, 10:43 PM
I know what you mean about same old same old with plastic toys and I hate the fact they are all so brightly coloured too!

I think that another reason they are getting on my nerves, no matter how many times you tidy them it always looks like a mess with all the colours, i think i feel it more at weekends too with them being in my living room, although i tidy as much as possible away :)

Just won a lovely wooden kitchen on ebay, not sure where i am putting it mind :D and ordered some wooden play food :)

Cazz
28-02-2010, 11:07 PM
You wouldn't like my playroom at the moment then!

I've just put a bright yellow Little Tikes plastic playhouse in there! It will be going outside when (or if!) the weather improves.

I suppose it's not so bad for me though as I can close the playroom door in the evening - there is only 1 toy in the lounge which is a toddlers activity toy on legs (and I may try and fit that in the playroom!) so I don't have to look at all the bright colours when I'm not working!

I know what you mean about them!!