PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have veg delivered?

singlewiththree
26-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Now I have my milk delivered does anyone have a veg box delivered? Is it expensive and does the food last?

francinejayne
26-02-2010, 06:41 PM
We have had an organic veg box delivered in the past. It was all lovley and fresh and of course seasonal. The downside - you don't choose what you get, and it was slightly more expensive. We only stopped due to cost cutting :(

Blackhorse
26-02-2010, 06:49 PM
I have been getting my fruit and veg from a local farmer for years now

It comes once a week and htere are some staples in it so I know I will get potatoes, carrots, apples, oranges, kiwis..onions...bananas (the exotic fruit comes from organic trading partners...something like that)
and then we get seasonal stuff....but you get to know what to expect at which time of the year..and if there is stuff you dont like you can tell them and they will substitute
It keeps fresh long enough as it is usually just picked the day before....
I love my fruit and veg bag...but you will get stuff you might not usually buy and then you need to look for what to do with it as otherwise it will go to waste.
Fruit never lasts long and neither does the veg.

My farmer also does a newsletter in the bag so you know what they are planting and growing so you know what to expect. He will also sometimes say I am trying to get such and such for next week....

as you can see I like them...but they wont work for everyone.
I would give it a try and see what you think and how you can incorporate the veg into your cooking...if you have to throw out stuff it probably isnt worth it!

I use it as a selling point that I use some local organic fresh produce and parents can see the bag on my doorstep on a wednesday morning! they like it

Sarah Louise
26-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Hi Paula,

We have had fruit & veg delivered by a company in Cheadle Hulme called Foodlife. Cancelled in the summer as were away alot and keep meaning to start it again. Really handy to have the essentials delivered each week.

Always kept really well and was really flavoursome but as someone else said the downside is you don't get to choose what you get. I started to see this as a positive though as it made you have a variety of stuff that you wouldn't normally buy.

Sarah

Gizmo
26-02-2010, 09:07 PM
We have a local farmers market but I dont know if they deliver, I think I will look into that as our greengrocers shut down this week:panic:

beccas
26-02-2010, 09:15 PM
there is a company called milk&more they dont do my area but you could see
https://www.milkandmore.co.uk/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10044&JServSessionIdrootwebapp=p4hvtvg6c1.rQjwml1KcBrzmA 5Kq2TymkzMskbMnlbO/AbJ/BjFcx4Qa30Q

they do free delivery

marzi
26-02-2010, 10:36 PM
I used to have fruit and veg delivered from Riverford. It was a bit more expensive than supermarkets but organic so you expect it. They did a fruit for work box for £21.99 and it had apples, oranges, pears and bananas and there was around 50 pieces of fruit in there so i might start getting that again when i start minding. My kids will happily eat any left overs! I bought the box before xmas left it in a cool place and the fruit was still perfect 2 weeks later!

http://vegbox-recipes.co.uk/veg-boxes/find-a-box-scheme.php?county=Cheshire&Submit=Search

Try this link!

Tinglesnark
26-02-2010, 10:42 PM
ive had both riverford and able&cole.
i love both and they kept well but tbh i didnt use everything. for me it is easier and cheaper to get veg with my tesco delivery
x

marzi
26-02-2010, 11:04 PM
ive had both riverford and able&cole.
i love both and they kept well but tbh i didnt use everything. for me it is easier and cheaper to get veg with my tesco delivery
x

I never used everything either in the veg box, we all hate aubergine and there's a limit as to what you can do with a swede!

susi513
27-02-2010, 12:15 AM
I've tried different schemes but they sent a lot of stuff that nobody will eat - spinach, pak choi (sp?) etc. And they all deliver on Thursdays here :(

Now I get everything online from Tesco and top up where necessary from the local corner shop or farm shop. Suits me much better and I get a lot more for my money.

MarpleJollytots
27-02-2010, 07:11 AM
Does anyone know of a chocolate delivery company that come out in emergencies ??? :jump for joy:

marzi
27-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Does anyone know of a chocolate delivery company that come out in emergencies ??? :jump for joy:

We used to use a takeaway that was attached to their own corner shop so my orders were usually:

Large pizza, bar of chocolate, 4 pints of milk and a newspaper lol

Not your average saturday night meal!

marzi
27-02-2010, 10:39 AM

We used to use a takeaway that was attached to their own corner shop so my orders were usually:

Large pizza, bar of chocolate, 4 pints of milk and a loaf of bread :)

Not your average saturday night meal!

MarpleJollytots
27-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Oooow thats great !