PDA

View Full Version : MOBILE PHONES

The Juggler
26-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Anyone else had a letter from their early years team, rattling on about the new guidance/guidelines about mobile phone use in early years settings. They are suggesting it's a distraction from work (rather than the CP issues that were raised when mobiles were banned from children's centres).

They are suggesting a policy about it. My policy is going to be about arguing why I use one I think! How can we be contactable and contact others, especially in an emergency when out and about without a mobile. Nursery staff have an on-site phone - what are we supposed to do on the way to the library/children's centre?

Bitsy Beans
26-02-2010, 02:30 PM
No letter as of yet. Should one arrive it will probably be put away for safe keeping in the circular file ;)

So are they suggesting that CM's are spending hours and hours on their mobile phones instead of looking after their charges?! Do they think I have oodles of money to spend on a phone bill :laughing:

MissTinkerbell
26-02-2010, 05:16 PM
So if its a distraction from work, then as we are working in our own homes, surely our landlines are a distraction too if they want to be that picky!!

MissTinkerbell
26-02-2010, 05:21 PM
I googled the guidelineds as I hadn't heard this one and this is what they say for anyone else who hasn't seen them:

The Department for Children, Schools and Families (DCFS) has issued a good practice guidance letter for early years settings. This follows concerns in relation to the risk of staff becoming distracted from their work with children when using their mobile phones and the inappropriate use of mobile phone cameras. The Department’s expectation is that, in general, mobile phones should not be used when staff are working with children, and this should be reflected in the safeguarding polices and procedures. Managers should set out clearly how mobile phones and other potential distractions should be handled by the settings.
We would advise all settings to review their policies to ensure children are safeguarded at all times and to remember to consider mobile phones of visitors/ workmen etc

~Chelle~
26-02-2010, 05:37 PM
This is madness. Like you say, we need them in an emergency and need to be contactable at all times.

I very rarely use my phone, I only top up £10.00 which lasts well over a month!

I mainly use it for taking photos, if we are at the park etc as it is a lot handier than carrying my camera with me.

Not everyone is a paedophile and I am fed up with feeling like a criminal cos I am taking a photo of a child in my care to go in their learning journeys, which Ofsted say they like to see as proof that kids are actually doing the activities which we say they are! Cant win really can we?

ajs
26-02-2010, 05:46 PM
i may be wrong but that sounds more to me like they mean nursery staff in the rooms with the children but being on their phones and not actually doing their jobs.
not that we as minders can't use a phone

may be i am reading it wrong though

caz3007
26-02-2010, 05:56 PM
I agree, its probably more for nurserys. After all as CM;s we are always out and about and need our phones. A lot of my school pick ups change for one reason or another and my mums know I can be got on my mobile if necessary.

If we were going to take inappropriate photos it wouldnt necessarily be on our phones, IFYKWIM

MarpleJollytots
26-02-2010, 05:57 PM
There are some very board people sat in offices !!!!!!

jaja
26-02-2010, 05:58 PM
I would be stuck then as i use it to text parents throughout the day with updats on how there child is and what they are doing and send pictures if they do something cute at my home, or ring to let them know anything, like today i text them to let them know that i was shutting due to sickness... the children love to hear what the parent has sent back.. Last week i have a lo who is 4 and we made cakes and the mum works in the same office as my husband and he came home from work at lunch and took a cake back for the mum, and then we got a lovely text form mum askion g me to tell her daughter that mummy had enjoyed her cake and that she loved her very much and would see her later, the lo loved it and we read it together....

what a daft idea isnt it.xxxx

The Juggler
27-02-2010, 05:19 PM
I agree, its probably more for nurserys. After all as CM;s we are always out and about and need our phones. A lot of my school pick ups change for one reason or another and my mums know I can be got on my mobile if necessary.

If we were going to take inappropriate photos it wouldnt necessarily be on our phones, IFYKWIM

I think you are right - it is targeted at nurseries but our D.O. has not decided to a take a balanced view, needs to cover her a**se and has sent it out to all CM's on her database:rolleyes:

Tink
27-02-2010, 05:51 PM
We won't be able to do anything soon:angry:

Parents text me on their lunch break to see if their Lo is ok, it's my means of contact for my business.

How ridiculous, did a man write it:angry:

(sorry i'm on one today)

patevans
27-02-2010, 06:01 PM
I have more distractions from people knocking on the door everyday than my mobile phone :rolleyes:

Getting a bit silly now :panic:

Beckieboo
27-02-2010, 06:13 PM
I think it is more targeted at nurseries, When i left my last nursery two years ago now staff had mobiles on charge in rooms, in rooms texting and leaving the room to take calls :eek: so i think it is about time as staff were risking the little ones safety because of them and no one seemed concerned!! :eek:

No surprise that i wasnt returning their after my maternity leave!! :clapping:

patevans
27-02-2010, 06:15 PM
I think it is more targeted at nurseries, When i left my last nursery two years ago now staff had mobiles on charge in rooms, in rooms texting and leaving the room to take calls :eek: so i think it is about time as staff were risking the little ones safety because of them and no one seemed concerned!! :eek:

No surprise that i wasnt returning their after my maternity leave!! :clapping:

It is aimed at nurseries but no doubt something similar will come out for us :rolleyes: when I worked in a nursery we were never allowed phones in the rooms thought this was the same everywhere tbh

Heaven Scent
27-02-2010, 06:32 PM
I googled the guidelineds as I hadn't heard this one and this is what they say for anyone else who hasn't seen them:

The Department for Children, Schools and Families (DCFS) has issued a good practice guidance letter for early years settings. This follows concerns in relation to the risk of staff becoming distracted from their work with children when using their mobile phones and the inappropriate use of mobile phone cameras. The Department’s expectation is that, in general, mobile phones should not be used when staff are working with children, and this should be reflected in the safeguarding polices and procedures. Managers should set out clearly how mobile phones and other potential distractions should be handled by the settings.
We would advise all settings to review their policies to ensure children are safeguarded at all times and to remember to consider mobile phones of visitors/ workmen etc

I'm quite sure that this is referring to staff in early years settings chatting to friends etc on their phones during their working hours and in addition using them for taking photos of the children in their care which is something parents won't have given permission for!!! The staff referred to are very often girls who are are often very underpaid and under qualified and so bore easily and so see no harm in what they are doing.

I suppose a phone policy wouldn't do any harm but it would have to be one stating what we use them for and not something that would restrict us in any way - after all we are self employed and work from home for a reason - we unlike I presume as responsible adults and parents ourselves we know when and how to use our phones - including the cameras in them.

Heaven Scent
27-02-2010, 06:42 PM
There are some very board people sat in offices !!!!!!

Here here - I also believe any excuse for a lunch time meeting is also responsible for some of the hairbrained ideas that come to the fore. _ Its always very convenient discussing all the things that other people should be expected to do while stuffing your face with whatever goodies the caterers can bring in at local or central government expense in a nice cosy office while you stregically avoid your own real responsibility. Oh and lets not forget then palm it off on someone more junior to yourself when you find you are about to fail to meet a dead line.

The Juggler
27-02-2010, 11:36 PM
We won't be able to do anything soon:angry:

Parents text me on their lunch break to see if their Lo is ok, it's my means of contact for my business.

How ridiculous, did a man write it:angry:

(sorry i'm on one today)

well guessing a male might have written the guidelines but the DO is female and you'd think if she truly understood childminding that she would see how unworkable it is for us to adopt such a policy!

estrelas
28-02-2010, 09:18 AM
I would be stuck then as i use it to text parents throughout the day with updats on how there child is and what they are doing and send pictures if they do something cute at my home, or ring to let them know anything, like today i text them to let them know that i was shutting due to sickness... the children love to hear what the parent has sent back.. Last week i have a lo who is 4 and we made cakes and the mum works in the same office as my husband and he came home from work at lunch and took a cake back for the mum, and then we got a lovely text form mum askion g me to tell her daughter that mummy had enjoyed her cake and that she loved her very much and would see her later, the lo loved it and we read it together....

what a daft idea isnt it.xxxx

Thats the same as here, i often text my parents to tell them alls ok, the babies mum gets a few pics sent over every day, She loves seeing whats shes up to
But your right its prob aimed at nursery staff more