PDA

View Full Version : Starting school at 4

funtoplay
25-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Hi All,

I have just been reading the new DCFS publications. One is titled Notification of the revised school admission code.

It states parent will have the choise to send their children to school full of part time from the september after their 4th Birthday as of set 2011. My daughter turns 4 on the july of that year does that mean she can now have option for going to school shortly after her 4th birthday...am i reading this right.

I wonder how this is going to effect the whole rising five issues, if at all it will?!

Sorry if this has already been discussed but I am just trying to work out what it all means.

Julia

Joannechildmind
25-02-2010, 07:22 PM
really at aged 4, thats young isnt it

venus89
25-02-2010, 07:24 PM
I thought they went the September after their 4th birthda anyway (or in some schools there are two admission, September and January). Could it be referring to th efull or part time side of things - ie does it mean that you, as a parent, get to decide if she's ready to go full time or if you want her to go part time?

francinejayne
25-02-2010, 07:25 PM

My eldest son was 4 at the end of August and he started school a week later. In my opinion he was too young and he would have benefited from 6 more months at home and in pre-school part time nursery.
My daughter on the other hand was almost 5 when she started and she sailed through everything.
So yes - I agree - 4 is young, they're still only babies!

funtoplay
25-02-2010, 07:26 PM
You are probably right i think i am confusing myself.

J

babs
25-02-2010, 07:27 PM
my friends daughters little boy is four used to go half day b4 sept last year now goes full day not in the school but in nursery attacted to it...

funtoplay
25-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Hi,

My daughter is only 2 now and it just seems weird thinking she could be in school next year!

J

FizzysFriends
25-02-2010, 07:40 PM
I thought they went the September after their 4th birthda anyway (or in some schools there are two admission, September and January). Could it be referring to th efull or part time side of things - ie does it mean that you, as a parent, get to decide if she's ready to go full time or if you want her to go part time?

Thats what they do here Sept after their 4th birthday, they have got rid of the 2 intakes here.

Joannechildmind
25-02-2010, 07:41 PM
here they start the term before they are 5

Hebs
25-02-2010, 07:43 PM
does it mean that you, as a parent, get to decide if she's ready to go full time or if you want her to go part time?

i dont think that by law they have to start reception class, only that they MUST be in education by year 1?

Pipsqueak
25-02-2010, 07:43 PM
harry started a month after he turned 4 - i really wish I had insisted he wait until he was 5. he has played catch up ever since

Spangles
25-02-2010, 07:46 PM
They can start the September after their 4th birthday here but they aren't legally required to do so at that age, it's up to the parent.

They go into reception at that age.

My son started last September and he's not 5 until this April but as they mainly play and learn a little reading and writing etc I was happy for him to go. He's been full-time since second week in September, he was very, very tired and grumpy up until Christmas though but is fine now. Still keeping him away from after school activities and playdates as they would push him over the edge!

venus89
25-02-2010, 07:59 PM
I am so glad both my kids were born in October - they were nearly 5 by the first September after their 4th anyway

Minstrel
25-02-2010, 08:05 PM
i believe this is already in place.

my ds2 is 4 in July of this year and will be starting school (reception) in September. The school prefer to have them all start in one intake but parents have the choice not to and send no later than the term after they turn 5. And they can choose how long to do the half days for, especially for the younger ones.

Nadine Beazley
25-02-2010, 08:22 PM
there is only one intake here. my son started reception 4 days after turning 4 ( his b'day is 31st aug!!!!). you can defer your child going to school until year 1, but the school can't garantee that you will get a place!

mama2three
25-02-2010, 08:39 PM
the 2 local schools here work differently - Q is 4 in july but at 1 school would go full time next jan , the other school full time next easter.Im in no rush , in fact i havent even taken up all his part time funded places. Id miss him too much!

margimum
25-02-2010, 09:00 PM
I considered keeping ds at home until he was turned 5 (his birthday is Aug 24th), but he would have missed reception completely and gone into yr. 1! He's now 18 and never really caught up with more mature children at school. It showed with things like sats and even GCSE's.

The Juggler
25-02-2010, 09:02 PM

my mindee turned 4 on 13th August and then started school at beginning of September.

nannymcflea
25-02-2010, 09:36 PM
My dd1 is Aug 23rd, I kept her part time until end of October when she started asking if she could go full time. She's 10 and in yr6 so secondary next year(well this year really:eek: ). She's done well in 2 out of 3 practice SATS (maths not being her strong point!) whereas I thought she'd struggle across the board being so young.

I do wish she could have been in the year below with kids more her age.:(