PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of becoming childminder, advice?

smosmo1988
25-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Hi guys i am currently thinking of becoming a childminder, have got a lot to think about at the moment as am currently in the middle of a degree doing child nursing but am very unhappy and stressed and have always wanted to do childminding so am seriously thinking about starting up! I understand that an ofsted member will have to check my house am abit worried i will fail as i heard that is very common ? also how do you advertise for childen? am in two minds at the moment as don't want to leave my degree unless i feel this could be a succsess anyone got any advice would be really grateful :) thankyou, simone.

sandy64
25-02-2010, 04:05 PM
i havent heard of ofsted failing you because of your house you may have to alter a few things to make sure its safe. why dont you go on ofsted website and read the onfo on becoming a cm. that may help you, then go from there how long till you finish your degree? shame to not finish could you do both it may take a few months to register.:)

youarewhatyoueat
25-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Don't leave your degree for minding, finish it first and while finishing you could register, so if you are still unhappy you could give it a go.
Doubtful anyone fails because of their house but you can be limited by numbers if very small, but ofsted usually just have helpful suggestions, they aren't that scary, honest!!!!
Why not make an enquiry at your local council and go along to the next recruitment evening to meet other people who are also thinking of registering.
It can be a fairly lengthy process.
Come on here and ask any questions, you will get a variety of answers as we all do things to suit ourselves but always happy to help.

Chatterbox Childcare
25-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Childminding is hard too - do as much research into it as your can, learn about the EYFS and what you need to do to deliver it.

There is a lot to start off with but it is a very rewarding profession