PDA

View Full Version : Do I give notice?

mumx3
25-02-2010, 01:14 PM
I have been looking after an under 3 year old mindee for about 5 months. I collect x in the morning and return them home after each session. In the past 2 months there have been a string of situations where the parent is taking the mickey, and I am not sure if I want to carry on or not. Parent doesnt work but uses me for "me time".

e.g. When I deliver child home, parent not there, I get a string of texts saying things like "running late be there in 5 minutes" and an hour later parent shows up and the only excuse is "lost track of time". So I have a car full of 3 under fives all waiting in the cold for their lunch and nap whilst parent is out shopping!

3 other times I have turned up to collect and no answer at the door. Excuses range from alarm not going off, to trips to a and e, phone dead etc etc. Or with me knocking on the door I get a text saying child is unwell and not coming.

Each time I have made the journey to the house and had my time wasted.

I have also been paid very late on several occasions.

Today was almost the last straw I arrived on time (phoned ahead to make sure child was coming) parent came to door to say child still eating breakfast can I come back in 10 minutes! I had 2 other under 5's with me who then had to wait in the car for 10 minutes.

I dont charge to collect child.

I am sooo irritated. Am I over reacting? Should I put up with this?

I dont need the money and have calls all the time for work. The only thing that stops me serving notice is the child is a delight and my own son adores mindee.

I have made it clear on several occasions that parent not being in and returning an hour late cannot happen again as other children need lunch and nap etc but parent continues to do everything else

Please advise...what should I do.

madredann
25-02-2010, 01:20 PM
put it in writing what you expect and the reasons why and if any of it happens again you will have to give notice and/or put a fee on collection stating you need that paying if you have made journey whether or not child goes with you

Mollymop
25-02-2010, 01:20 PM
If you don't need the money then I would terminate:thumbsup:

Think how much smoothly things would run without this iritation every day x

moogster1a
25-02-2010, 01:21 PM
if the pick up isn't in contract, if they're not ready when you get there say you have to go and mum can drop child off herself. if she has no transport, tough, she misses the day ( full pay for you )

if she doesn't like that, give notice. I certainly wouldn't sit there an hour with a car full of kids. Bet their parents wouldn't be happy if they knew they were spending so much time stuck in car.

georgie456
25-02-2010, 01:24 PM
I think the first thing you need to do is re-think dropping off and collecting this child! You are being treated like a taxi service and should not be expected to wait around in your car with other children!!!!!

I really suggest you arrange a meeting with this parent to give you the chance of explaining the impact this is having.

To ask you to go away and wait in your car while they have breakfast is beyond rudeness in my opinion. :angry: :angry:

You most definitely should not put up with this.

sandy64
25-02-2010, 01:26 PM
I think the first thing you need to do is re-think dropping off and collecting this child! You are being treated like a taxi service and should not be expected to wait around in your car with other children!!!!!

I really suggest you arrange a meeting with this parent to give you the chance of explaining the impact this is having.

To ask you to go away and wait in your car while they have breakfast is beyond rudeness in my opinion. :angry: :angry:

i agree with this its great but whats me time lol:laughing: :laughing:

Tinglesnark
25-02-2010, 01:27 PM

i agree :D dont give yourself the hassle xxx

The Juggler
25-02-2010, 01:27 PM

I agree. Tell her due to the amount of time mindees are sitting not able to play and the amount of wasted journeys, that from now on you will not offer the pick up/drop off service due to it impacting on the care of the other children. She seems to manage to hop on the bus fine to get to the shops!

See how that goes down then decide if you want to carry on or not. You've got nothing to lose if you are thinking of ending it anyway. If she kicks off and gives notice and might give you some time to find another mindee.

ajs
25-02-2010, 01:38 PM
no advice really other than how do the other parents feel about their child sitting waiting for this child's parents to get themselves home or the child fed.

i do think that if iwas a parent of the children waiting i wouldn't be too happy

Tired
25-02-2010, 01:44 PM
I think you have been far too soft on this parents (arent we all)

You need to put in writing the times that you will collect and drop the child (if you still want to do it)
Also put in the letter that if they are not ready at collection you will not be able to wait, but will still charge from that time.

At drop off, if there is no one there to accept the child, you will take the child back to your house and wait for him/her to be collected. You will charge for this extra time.

Personally though I would give notice.

tracey36
25-02-2010, 01:48 PM
some parents can take advantage especially if you let them get away with it, i do a drop off service for one of my mindies but do charge, maybe if you introduced a late fee, say double if she is over 15 minutes late as you have other children to consider, but to be honest if you really dont need the money i would terminate the contract sounds more hassle than its worth and not worth getting so stressed over xx

estrelas
25-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Goodness me
You must be a saint for putting up with that :eek:

Joannechildmind
25-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Goodness me
You must be a saint for putting up with that :eek:

yes i agree she has taken the micky mouse, i would write her a letter outlining everything.

Good luck but i think i would terminate the contract.

helenlc
25-02-2010, 02:06 PM
I do pick up for one mindee as its on the way to my DDs school in the morning. However, I am not contracted for it and do not get paid extra for it. Therefore, when we have had bad snow in the last few months, I have text Mum and said I am available but cannot come out to collect or drop off. She has chosen not to bring her but I have got paid as I am available.

I would say to parent that child needs to be ready when you get there, if not, you will go about your daily plans and it is her responsibility to get LO to you. As you were there and available from the agreed collection time, you are to be paid from that time.

Likewise, with drop off. If Mum isnt there, take LO to where ever you are going ie home, clubs and say that Mum is responsible for collection and she will be charged your late collection fee (whatever that may be) for any time you have the child after your agreed drop off time.

I would write Mum a letter saying that these changes are takinng place from next week, get her to sign to agree to these. Also put in there that failure to keep to this agreement will result in you giving notice. I think you will soon find she starts towing the line!!!! And if not, then I would give notice.

I have just finished with a LO whose parents gave me the run around in the morning. It was SO stressful as I never knew if I was coming or going, whether I needed the double or single pushchair etc.

If you can live without the money, then I would give notice. As adorable as LO is, is it really worth the effort and stress??

wendywu
25-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Im sorry but i dont think you are being fair to your other mindees in allowing the parents to treat you in this way keep you hanging around.

If you cannot be strong for yourself you owe it to the other children in your care. :panic:

Use that thought when you tell her where to get off :angry:

Tatjana
25-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Clearly this mums 'me time' means stuff everyone elses time:panic:

You've been very tolerant to put up with it for so long, it's not fair on you or the lo's.

I echo what others have said, if you don't need the cash, give notice.

xx

MissTinkerbell
25-02-2010, 02:27 PM

I agree with this - if you don't need the money then why put up with the hassle and its not putting the needs of your other mindees into consideration.

caz3007
25-02-2010, 03:26 PM
I had similar last year and it was stressing me out lots, so I terminated. If you dont need the money then just terminate and hopefully a lovely family will come along and not take you for granted

mumx3
25-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks all so much for the help.

You have made me realise that it is not just about me being taken for a ride but unfair on the other children. I have decided I will terminate.

It wont be pretty I am sure, but I think it is for the best. I am going to wait until my money for March is paid (as it is due on the 1st) and then serve notice.

The reason is I didnt take a deposit (this is the only one I havent!) as they couldnt afford it...I should have known better. And they asked to spread the cost monthly...which I did but it means I may end up out of pocket if the child attends the full notice period. So I am going to give them an option. Either they top up the fees so as I have been paid for all the work I have done...or they can finish the period early so as I am not left out of pocket. I just need to know exactly how much I am owed for work I have already done.

Lesson here....if you spread the cost for families ALWAYS take a deposit!

The Juggler
25-02-2010, 07:16 PM
good for you hon! hope it goes smoothly

little_gems
25-02-2010, 07:18 PM
hope everything works out for you