PDA

View Full Version : Am I right to be this angry?

nikjam
25-02-2010, 09:17 AM
:angry: :angry: I sent a child home yesterday lunchtime after vomiting twice and having a runny nappy, he is 2 and a half. I have my own 3 year old and a 1 year old mindee here all day plus my elder son and 2 after schoolies. My sickness policy clearly states that no matter what you think your child may or may not be suffering from I have a 48 hour no return policy. I put his in place alongside the government recommendations to stop the spread of sickness. She is a teacher and should know this anyway, however who turns up on my doorstep at 8 o clock this morning? You guessed it said teacher! 'it's only a half day' she says so it would have been the best day to take off? No! she shoves screaming child through the door pullls the door shut herself and marches off to the car! :censored: :censored:
I am so angry it is unreal, surely it is up to me wether I accept the child not the other way round? I have now had to call all other parents and warn them so they can make up thier minds if they send their children, I may lose a full days pay from 1 year old and my after schools fees because of this parents selfishness. The mother of one of the school age children has taken her son and MY SON to school so that her son isn't in the house with the child! How bad do I feel? I'm sorry for the very long rant but I wonder why i spend all the time I do reviewing policies and sending out parent packs with a form confirming they have read all my policies for them to sign!!!:angry: :angry: :angry: Please tell me I'm not being irrational I feel like i am going to explode when she turns up at 1 to pick him up! Sorry!!

dobby
25-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Was it not possible to open the door and call after her? You are perfectly right to feel angry but if you dont do something about it then you will just be getting walked over again anytime soon :(

At the very least I would be having very strong words with this parent and following this up in writing - suggest if she wants to ignore your policy that she pay for the loss of earnings from the other kids you cannot have perhaps :rolleyes:

maryp0ppins
25-02-2010, 09:25 AM
NO NO NO

I would be ringing the teacher mum back & telling her to collect her child....i cannot beleive she shoved him through the door & walked away. If i couldnt get hold of her id be going down the emergancy list & getting someone out.....If you loose a whole days pay how would you ever get it back???

I'd be having a quiet word to mum to remind her of your policies & the 48 hour policy!!!

What if you get this bug...its not just 1 days pay you'll end up loosing :panic:

maryp0ppins
25-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Was it not possible to open the door and call after her? You are perfectly right to feel angry but if you dont do something about it then you will just be getting walked over again anytime soon :(

At the very least I would be having very strong words with this parent and following this up in writing - suggest if she wants to ignore your policy that she pay for the loss of earnings from the other kids you cannot have perhaps :rolleyes:

Brilliant!!

nikjam
25-02-2010, 09:31 AM
I seriously need to toughen up and stop trying to be everyones friend I think! This is a business but I need the money and normally they are great. I don't like rocking the boat as it makes me feel sick! I just can't see why her job would be more important than mine, which is essentially what she is saying by doing this! Thanks for the replies it's made me feel a bit better knowing I'm not overreacting!

Mouse
25-02-2010, 09:31 AM

I agree with that. She shouldn't have brought the child to you, but then you didn't need to take it in.
You've spent time texting (and possibly inconveniencing) other parents when it should have been this parent who was inconvenienced. As a parent I'd be annoyed that a sick child was allowed into the house, while I was given the option of keeping my healthy child away!

Did you tell her yesterday that she couldn't bring the child back to you for 48hrs?

sandy64
25-02-2010, 09:33 AM
no your not being irrational what a cheek i would of kept ringing her to say come back and pick child up,why should you have to lose other mindies because of her, ive had to take another day of as my lo is poorly and yes im losing money but thats whats could being responsible thankgoodness my 3 parents are ok. be strong and ring her now tell her to pick up now and youl see her monday.give her another copy of sickness policy as shes probably never reads it, i hop you dont get it its a horrible bug.and good luck hope you get it sorted.:)

Spangles
25-02-2010, 09:39 AM
I think you're right, you do need to toughen up. This child should never have been allowed into your home today.

I would give her a ring and tell her to collect straight away and reiterate your sickness policy. If not, say you will contact her emergency contacts to get the child collected as a priority.

She must understand that this is not acceptable. Blimey, I'd be fuming if I were you. What a blinking cheek! She sounds really selfish and as if she's fully prepared to take advantage of your lovely nature.

I too would be annoyed if I was the parent of one of your other mindees.

xx

jaja
25-02-2010, 09:40 AM
i would phone her up and say that the child needs collecting as she is going against your policy, lie and say that ofsted would disprove strongly, and say if she doesnt pick the child up in the next hour then you will contact the next perosn on the emergency list until someone does collect......

be strong, sending hugs xxx

Hebs
25-02-2010, 09:43 AM
take him to her school and leave him in the office :angry:

who does she think she is :angry:

nikjam
25-02-2010, 09:49 AM
I did tell her and she is also very aware of it being a teacher it is the schools policy too! She is coming a 12 now and I will have it out with her then. The other mum was happy to send the 1 year old as she had alredy been in contact with the sick child yesterday before I sent him home. The 1 year old only started last week and was ill on Thursday so she stayed away Friday through the parent understanding my policies! They haven't even begun their real contract yet!

The Juggler
25-02-2010, 09:50 AM
NO NO NO

I would be ringing the teacher mum back & telling her to collect her child....i cannot beleive she shoved him through the door & walked away. If i couldnt get hold of her id be going down the emergancy list & getting someone out.....If you loose a whole days pay how would you ever get it back???

I'd be having a quiet word to mum to remind her of your policies & the 48 hour policy!!!

What if you get this bug...its not just 1 days pay you'll end up loosing :panic:

tell her if she ever does it again, you'll be terminating without notice - she has willfully ignored the terms of one of your policies - I would see this as a breach of contract. Then, I'd fake 2 days sickness tell her you caught it from her little one and tell her you can't work:angry:

Bushpig
25-02-2010, 09:50 AM
How would she like it if she had sick kids in her class - spreading their germs to her and the other kids..??? She should know better, esp as she works with kids.. she should know how strict OFSTED are and how NB it is for child carers to have policies in place (and to stick to them!!!)... beggars belief!:mad:

I would call her and tell her to collect her child... and if she doesn't come, consult her emergency contact numbers.

SHE needs to be inconvenienced for her child's illness... NOT your other parents.

Good luck... :thumbsup:

The Juggler
25-02-2010, 09:51 AM
take him to her school and leave him in the office :angry:

who does she think she is :angry:

good idea Hebs!

Spangles
25-02-2010, 10:01 AM
I would actually type her up a letter covering what has happened today and the reasons why it is unacceptable and including a fresh copy of your sickness policy and get her to sign a copy of it for your file.

caz3007
25-02-2010, 10:05 AM
I would actually type her up a letter covering what has happened today and the reasons why it is unacceptable and including a fresh copy of your sickness policy and get her to sign a copy of it for your file.

I think I would do this too. I cant believe she works in a school too, they have exactly the same policy

Cazz
25-02-2010, 11:31 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: and :angry: :angry: :angry:

That's my reaction to that parent - what a completely selfish woman. Stand your ground at 12.00 and make sure she knows this can never happen again (says she who also needs to be tougher :rolleyes: )

Let us know how you get on.

georgie456
25-02-2010, 12:30 PM

Good idea. Personally I wouldn't have let her drive away! I would have taken the child back out and given it back to the parent! She needs a reminder of your policy and the fact that you are not doing it to be difficult but to protect the other children's health in your care.

Let us know how you got on when she picked up.

miffy
25-02-2010, 12:40 PM

I think this is a good idea and then you know there can't be any misunderstandings next time.

Hope she's picked up by now and you're OK

Miffy xx

pinklady
25-02-2010, 12:44 PM
You've had great advise already so nothing to add except (((hugs)))
Hope you're ok.

xx

madredann
25-02-2010, 12:55 PM
how did it go?

Mollymop
25-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Hunni, why should you have to phone all the other parents to warn them about the child being ill?? It should be you phoning mum and saying "come back and collect him now please"
I know it is hard when parents do this but you have to make them understand what you're rules are there for. she is taking advantage of you and it needs to stop!!! hugs x

Mollymop
25-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Sorry I didn't read the whoel thread through!!

Hope you got it sorted with her xxx

marian
25-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Hope you are ok and it is sorted

Marian x

little chickee
25-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Don't forget that he shouldn't attend tomorrow either.

madredann
25-02-2010, 01:39 PM
no dont have him tomorrow

Cazz
25-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Hope you're okay?

Joannechildmind
25-02-2010, 02:00 PM
I would be absolutely fumming :angry: although i would have called her back to collect instead of phoning round the other mindies. They might think now that why should they bother to stick to policies if this mum isnt. Hope you can make this parent realise this. I think i would be inclined to write a letter to the parent explaining all this and also add a section to my newsletter about not sending sick children that should work.
im sure parent knows she was in the wrong by shoving him through the door and leaving :eek:

Hope your ok.

wendywu
25-02-2010, 02:07 PM
[
QUOTE=Joannechildmind;649015]I would be absolutely fumming :im sure parent knows she was in the wrong by shoving him through the door and leaving :eek:

Hope your ok.[/QUOTE]

She can only shove a child through the door and march off if you allow her to. :panic:

helenlc
25-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Personally i would have called her back. If she got away too quick, I would have called her on her phone and told her she needed to come back. If there was no answer, I would have left a message saying that unless you hear back from her in 30 mins, you will be contacting their emergency contact to come and collect the child.

My friend has this the other week with a LO who was ill, came back 2 days later but was obviously still ill. Did 2 dodgy nappies within an hour of arrival. Parents conveneintly not answering phone!:angry: So I told friend to text both parents and tell them if neither of them contacted her back in 30 minutes, she would be calling their emergency contact to come and collect LO. Well, Dad got in touch and came back to collect the child!!!

I agree about writing a letter and also printing her off an extra copy of your sickness policy and get her to sign to say that she understands the reasons behind why today cannot happen again. And as someone else said, inform her that a breach of your policies is a breach of the contract and you can therefore terminate immediately.

:angry: :angry: Some parents!!!

venus89
25-02-2010, 05:04 PM
I would have been livid! I'd also be phoing mum to come and collect immediately and saying the child was not to come back tomorrow.

What happened at pick up? Did you manage to sort things out?

Cazz
26-02-2010, 12:53 AM
Oh no - she's gone very quiet. :(

I hope everything went okay with the mum at pick-up.

Blaze
26-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Oh no - she's gone very quiet. :(

I hope everything went okay with the mum at pick-up.

I was thinking the same - hopoe she doesn't feel we were having a go at her because the child was left with her IYSWIM:(

pinklady
26-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Yes, I hope you're ok and that you've managed to get things sorted.

Spangles
26-02-2010, 12:10 PM
How'd you get on? Is everything okay?

zillervalley
26-02-2010, 12:16 PM
deffo tell her when she comes to pick mindee up, you may not have time to do this but show her a copy of your policy,

:angry: :angry: they make yo so:angry:

Mollymop
26-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Hope everything is ok , as Blaze says please don't think we are having go at you hun xx

Beckieboo
26-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Hope it went well! :)

some parents are unbelievable!! Nothing surprises me anymore!!!:angry:

SparklingGems
26-02-2010, 06:25 PM
She should not have just left him without speaking to you first. Im only pre reg but have friends that are childminders and I have witnessed parents dropping children off saying nothing and with in a few mins the child is throwing up with a raging temp I do think parents sometimes think that because we are in our own homes we should just take sick children in.

I have just spoken to a childminder today whose whole family and mindees ended up with sickness and diahorrea due to a mparent sending a mindee on a mon morning knowing he had been ill all weekend. When childminder phoned parent to advise parent said oh sorry forgot to mention he was a bit off colour.

Hope your ok and have managed to sort out stuff with the parent :)