PDA

View Full Version : NVQ3 Interview

janminder
25-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Had my NVQ3 interview yesterday and should know if I got on by early next week as it starts next Thursday. At the moment I do not feel hopeful the lady said my assignment that I had to take to the interview was good but the fact that I don't have any qualifications, mainly I think the NVQ2, she is worried that I have never had to do a long course before and NVQ3 expands on NVQ2. I also got the impression that she was'nt sure it was worth their while spending £1,200 on me when I am close to retirement age:( . I have 7 years to go and want to continue well after that, well thats my plan as I still feel youngish. She said "you have been childminding for over 25 years are you expecting to do it much longer".

Just wondering if any of you are 'mature' childminders just doing there NVQ3 or anyone without previous qualifications

sarah707
25-02-2010, 01:11 PM
That's a very ageist comment for the woman to make and totally unnecessary in my opinion :(

I would complain xx

youarewhatyoueat
25-02-2010, 04:45 PM
I agree with Sarah, but I would also say I have just done my nvq3 and its my first qualification EVER!!!! and i'm in my 40's
Go for it if its what you want to do, but also worth looking to other providers in your area possibly.Try googling nvq3 and see who's near you, you don't have to do it at a college if thats what youre doing.
I had to sit a very basic maths and english test about 10 minutes each before they would let me go straight on to the level 3.

janminder
25-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Yes Sarah I thought that, did'nt want to say anything to her though just said how I intended to carry on well after 60. I have got 7 years to go and we have to have NVQ3 to carry on by 2015 don't we.

Youarewhatyoueat I applied through my councils Early Years as they are offering it free as part of their Childminder training. I had got the impression I did'nt need to have done anything else. I will wait and see what happens first if I don't get on it this time I will ask my Network Co-ordinator to look into it for me.

janminder
26-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Had a phone call I am on the course, delayed a week so starting on the 11th March. Can see me burning the midnight oil.

Ripeberry
26-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Oh :censored: why do we need maths? I'm good at English and everything else but have a mental block when it comes to maths :( . I think I have dyscalculia.
I'm in my 40's (just!) and wonder if they would even take me on.
Maybe I'll wait for the new system in the Autumn, maybe it will be easier?

Merry-Minder
26-02-2010, 03:56 PM
That's a very ageist comment for the woman to make and totally unnecessary in my opinion :(

I would complain xx

This is exactly what I was thinking - how rude!!!

Good luck.xxx

janminder
26-02-2010, 05:37 PM
I didnt have to do a maths and english test but had to take an assignment with me which was appoximately 400 words (I did 367) on 'strategies you would use to encourage and reinforce positive behaviour'.

Rasharoon
26-02-2010, 06:38 PM
I've just finished my NVQ 3 and in hindsight, can't see the point of the maths test. I will admit - I looked at the lady next to me and we compared answers :blush: The 'interview' was a sham in that I was second to last so by time they got to me - it was a case of 'ok-if your sure you can do it' - because I'm a childminder - and that was it.
Glad all worked out for you.

Daisy1956
26-02-2010, 08:33 PM
I am a mature person I have just finished my Nvq3 . Go for it we have years of experience to call on and I for one intend carrying on doing the job I love for as lons as I continue to enjoy it,
. Age is just a number:)