PDA

View Full Version : Potatoes

Roseolivia
25-02-2010, 06:50 AM
My seed potatoes arrived yesterday from potato for schools. I have to start chitting them 2nd March, dead excited never grown potatoes before. Sad aren't i?

mushpea
25-02-2010, 06:55 AM
I got mine last week and also start them on tuesday, i never dont it before either, I have also just go an allotment from the council and cant wait to start growing stuff, the mindees have been realy excited about it too.

It's a small world
25-02-2010, 07:07 AM
I'm new to all this too. Grew tomatoes.radishes and pumpkins last year.we are all getting excited about chitting them :clapping:

sweets
25-02-2010, 07:49 AM
i got mine yesterday too, was very exciting! didnt read the the instructions properly though and have started chitting them already:blush: its only a week early so i am hoping they will be ok

miffy
25-02-2010, 08:13 AM
i got mine yesterday too, was very exciting! didnt read the the instructions properly though and have started chitting them already:blush: its only a week early so i am hoping they will be ok

Ooooo cheating already! :p :laughing:

Got mine too - are we having a competition again this year to see who grows the most?

Miffy xx

Tam's Tribe
25-02-2010, 08:40 AM
I am also a 'virgin' potato growing . . . still not 100% sure what 'chitting' is but I too have them already in the egg box on the kitchen window sill!! :D

Is 'chitting' what normally happens every month to the potatoes in my cupboard . . . they start growing roots :blush: . . . :laughing: :laughing:

sillysausage
25-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Is 'chitting' what normally happens every month to the potatoes in my cupboard . . . they start growing roots

When kept in a warm dark cupboard potatoes do start to produce white roots, however when 'chitting' potatoes you are keeping them in the light and you are encouraging the formation of the buds that will grow into stems and leaves too. When left in the light the skin of the potato will darken to a black/purply colour and you will get small dark green shoots appearing.