PDA

View Full Version : Childminding.... complete change of lifestyle!

LittleStar's
24-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Before you think im moaning , im not really, I do actually really love my job!

I have been minding since October and have noticed that since then all i think about is my business! I love it that I get to spend loads of time with my own children and the mindees during the day , but is it just me , I spend nearly every evening doing tax books , writing up obserations , planning, newsletters , invoices, cutting things out ready for the next day, looking up recipes for baking, sitting reading all your posts on here! I go out and im thinking ohhh that would be a good thing to get for the business. I am always looking at my house and thinking how I could make it better .... for the business!

Is it me or is it a complete change of lifestyle or am I just making it hard work???? Its not all such a bad thing as I have to keep myself busy anyway. I just think my husband wishes I would do other things every now and then ! :laughing:

Are you guys the same???

Winnie
24-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Its a way of life :jump for joy: i'm always thinking about childminding....and have been since 1991 :laughing:

Blackhorse
24-02-2010, 09:56 PM
I am pretty much the same although I try very hard not to...I know from previous jobs that I tend to be a workaholic and that too much is not good for you.

So if I do the evenings I make sure I dont do anything at the weekends.
I also make sure I dont do all evenings....

PixiePetal
24-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Its a way of life :jump for joy: i'm always thinking about childminding....and have been since 1991 :laughing:

1994 for me :laughing:

I do shut my CM brain down and do other things for me now though especially as my kids have grown up :thumbsup:

Tinglesnark
24-02-2010, 10:43 PM
i havent started yet although i registered in sept but i am the same. i spend any spare time when the kids are asleep sorting out my policies and making sure i know what im doing.ive just booked myself on a months worth of courses and i also think "oh that will be fab for when i have mindees..."

lol

suzyblue
25-02-2010, 07:25 AM
I think about work 24-7!
All building work done on the house is for childminding eg chimney breast taken out in play room/new extention for more space for kids/porch for the kids coats etc Im constantly looking for new ideas even when im on holiday.
....one wonder I have a constant headache.......

Bushpig
25-02-2010, 07:25 AM
It's one of those things with being self employed I think... when I had my design company I was the same.. my mind was always thinking of the next creative project, getting orders out etc. Now it's all kids kids kids! :laughing:

miffy
25-02-2010, 07:37 AM
It does kind of take over if you're not careful.................

I'm always looking for things for the mindees - very rare I go shopping and don't come back with something for them! :D

I don't do paperwork in the evenings usually 'cos I'm too shattered and I'm on here "researching" :laughing:

Miffy xx

jo f
25-02-2010, 07:54 AM
I was like this for the first year or so but really burned myself out. I put everything into my time with the kids rolling out activity after activity, then on computer or paperwork etc til nearly midnight. It took out the fun and the reasons I started minding in the first place. Now I think i'm led back a little more I have a better ballance of adult led and child initiated play as we should have, and I have got to admit i let planning and paperwork pile up as my nights are my family time- the little uns share me enough during the day! Then when they are asleep Im flaggin myself!!! I know I regret the paperwork side piling up but I feel much better

Tam's Tribe
25-02-2010, 08:28 AM
It does kind of take over if you're not careful.................

I'm always looking for things for the mindees - very rare I go shopping and don't come back with something for them! :D

I don't do paperwork in the evenings usually 'cos I'm too shattered and I'm on here "researching" :laughing:

Miffy xx

Researching :D . . . I like it, must remember that one :laughing:

estrelas
25-02-2010, 09:18 AM
I spent the first 6 months burning out
I know just do paper work for a few hours per week
I still think about it 24/7 but I like that

LittleStar's
25-02-2010, 09:22 AM
im not alone then! :laughing:

youarewhatyoueat
25-02-2010, 09:26 AM
It did take over especially when I did my nvq but now i've toned everything down I have my life back.
The amount of paperwork I was doing was unnecessary, I was doing too many obs which were not benefitting anybody and taking way too many photos which then needed to be printed off.
I now concentrate on 'wow' moments and going out everyday which is much more fun and the paperwork I spend a quick 10 minutes a day doing the diaries and a mad hour every few weeks doing the rest!!

ORKSIE
25-02-2010, 11:26 AM

94 for me:clapping:

caz3007
25-02-2010, 11:36 AM
I used to run a pub, so childminding is a doddle now :) Lot easier and although I constantly worry about my obs and stuff at the moment, its less stressful than the pub.

Kids squabbles are much easier to control :rolleyes:

SandCastles
25-02-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm the same - 12 months on and I am saving up to replace the dining room carpet and thinking about re-decorating to cover the scuff marks on my skirtling and walls, instead of thinking about what colours me and my husband wants, I asked the lo what they would like, and I am considering their opinion! crazy eh?
I have a wish list of things I would love to buy like stoarage units with rounded courners, massive cork board for displays. The list is getting longer but it is nice to have an idea of your ideal home.
Paperwork is constantly on my mind, (I'm behind with my accounts and learning journals)
This job is great, eveyone who knows me says that I am in my ideal job and the new lifestyle suits me.

TheBTeam
25-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Yes, but generally i quite like it!