PDA

View Full Version : baby sitting

debbie
24-02-2010, 08:25 PM
dont know if i'm in the right site or not. but can anyone tell me if there is a legal age that an older child can baby sit. had mixed answers from friends.

Pipsqueak
24-02-2010, 08:46 PM
No there is NO legal/minimum age that a child can babysit.
However the law states that the parents (of the child being babysat) remain responsible should anything happen and not the child who is doing the babysitting. A child is considered a child up to the age of 18.

Its the same as there is no minimum/legal age for leaving your child home alone - however the parent remains responsible for any child home alone and could be prosecuted

carol cameron
24-02-2010, 08:47 PM
The law is a bit hazy on this but my understanding is that any child under 16 is still their parent's responsibility whether they are on the premises or not and if anything happened it would be the parent who would be at fault. Hope that helps.

Pipsqueak
24-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Check the NSPCC website for more info

suzyblue
25-02-2010, 07:30 AM
I think you need to consider the child babysitting too - could they cope if something went wrong - are they mature for their age - are they sensible - is the younger child easy to look after (How young? will they be asleep?)

My oldest child babysat for other parents at 14 but I wouldnt have let my other daughter babysit at that age.

youarewhatyoueat
25-02-2010, 02:43 PM
My 14 year old babysits but only in our village and only if I am home so could run round if I had to.

debbie
25-02-2010, 04:43 PM
thanks for the replies. will definently look at the nspcc website. such an awkward one friend asked me wasn't sure but i did say i thought about 15 was a good age and that it depended on how mature they were.