PDA

View Full Version : post count not moving

Joannechildmind
24-02-2010, 12:59 PM
I am approaching 300 posts :clapping: and have been watching my post count like a hawk but for the last few posts it hasnt moved??

Anyone have any ideas?

venus89
24-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Are you posting in the lounge? They don't count......

Minstrel
24-02-2010, 01:06 PM
I agree i've just had a look and the last 5 or 6 posts you've done have been in the lounge and members private area which don't count. Just the areas to do with childminding will increase your post count.

I'm surprised this is the first time you've noticed it! Most people mention it when they first join. :laughing:

Joannechildmind
25-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Yes i did know that but hadnt really been keeping track on my posts until now so didnt really noticed before. Didnt realise id only posted in the private area and Lounge :blush: lol that explains it then :) thanks alot your a star :clapping:

Mollymop
25-02-2010, 01:35 PM
What out joanne will be green before we know it:D

kimbelina
19-03-2010, 03:00 PM
I'd been wondering the same thing about my own posts, except my post count is at a slightly more pathetic number of 5... :( I did wonder why the number wasn't going up since I've posted probably about 15 times more but they've all been in the members bit so that'd be why!

I do find it a bit of an odd system to be honest - I love forums and chatting to people, but as a pre-reg I tend not to be posting answers to other people's questions very much (a LOT of the CM bits involve people asking questions!). Also, I'm used to avoiding spamming a forum, so if someone has posted something to which there are 30 replies saying 'well done!' or something similar, then I'm not one to post yet another reply saying exactly the same thing... see what I mean? :laughing:

Gotta be honest, when I first joined, I immediately thought 'what a way to encourage people to spam!' ...and still being limited after being a member for quite a while makes me want to spam more just so I can have even basic features on the forum! :rolleyes:

It's all a bit amusing really!

Polly2
19-03-2010, 03:04 PM
I think its nice to have 30 replies saying 'well done' makes me feel loved :laughing:

Pipsqueak
19-03-2010, 03:55 PM
I'd been wondering the same thing about my own posts, except my post count is at a slightly more pathetic number of 5... :( I did wonder why the number wasn't going up since I've posted probably about 15 times more but they've all been in the members bit so that'd be why!

I do find it a bit of an odd system to be honest - I love forums and chatting to people, but as a pre-reg I tend not to be posting answers to other people's questions very much (a LOT of the CM bits involve people asking questions!). Also, I'm used to avoiding spamming a forum, so if someone has posted something to which there are 30 replies saying 'well done!' or something similar, then I'm not one to post yet another reply saying exactly the same thing... see what I mean? :laughing:

Gotta be honest, when I first joined, I immediately thought 'what a way to encourage people to spam!' ...and still being limited after being a member for quite a while makes me want to spam more just so I can have even basic features on the forum! :rolleyes:

I can see where you are coming from but this as I am sure you have gathered is a very friendly, family-like forum. Zillionz of posts (or spam) saying congratulation is like having all your friends knocking on your door just to give you a huggy.

The system is there (and I am sure d'boss or one of her deputies can explain it better) to protect the members and their work - if they have posted some. It also encourages people to 'become' one of the forum members. We have meet ups so its not just an anon forum.

As a pre-reg I am sure you have plenty to input - your opinions are just as valid:thumbsup:

Minstrel
19-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Maybe you'll see it from the other point of view when you get your registration certificate through and no-one says Congrats :(

As pip says, its nice to have lots of replies even if its the same message. Makes you feel loved!

Besides, don't you have questions that you'd like to ask in the minding section? This will also increase your post count.

Pauline
19-03-2010, 11:39 PM

You only have to do 4 posts to get the basic features of the forum, surely that can't be seen as spamming!! :huh:

Anyone seen to be posting a great amount of 'well done' and ' wow' posts will have their post count reduced if they are only doing it to get access to private areas.

The reason for the need for a high post count to access private areas is so that we get to know the member first, some very private things are shared in the members areas, I'm sure you wouldn't want just anyone to read your private posts would you?

kimbelina
23-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Yes guys, lol, I know, it's lovely to have tons of replies saying 'well done' or whatever :laughing:just saying that I often read a whole thread before replying so if there are already about 30 posts saying the same thing I prob won't join in coz I'll have just gone and read them all lol - but it depends on the subject really! :)

(...I guess it stems from searching countless forums for useful info, e.g. how to fix something on a pc, and encountering millions of posts that either all say the same thing or all say 'I don't know how to do it' ...coz of course it's pretty useless in posting that as an answer on those sort of forums, you just get pages and pages of 'i don't know' and it takes months to find an actual answer lol :()

You only have to do 4 posts to get the basic features of the forum, surely that can't be seen as spamming!! :huh:
The reason for the need for a high post count to access private areas is so that we get to know the member first, some very private things are shared in the members areas, I'm sure you wouldn't want just anyone to read your private posts would you?

That's the only thing I really meant was a bit odd, you only need 4 posts to access the member area, when other little things (like adding an avatar or special signature or something) are still limited - I'd personally do it the other way round, because an avatar can easily be wiped if admins don't like it, but the person given access can't 'un-read' something they've already been given access to and read. But that's just me ;)

Besides, don't you have questions that you'd like to ask in the minding section? This will also increase your post count.

Yeah, I'm just bad at asking questions :laughing:

I can see where you are coming from but this as I am sure you have gathered is a very friendly, family-like forum.

And that is why I love this forum! :group hug::magnificent:

Pauline
23-03-2010, 02:19 PM
That's the only thing I really meant was a bit odd, you only need 4 posts to access the member area, when other little things (like adding an avatar or special signature or something) are still limited - I'd personally do it the other way round, because an avatar can easily be wiped if admins don't like it, but the person given access can't 'un-read' something they've already been given access to and read. But that's just me ;)

It is simply to save space on the server, I'm not storing avatars or fancy signatures for people who are not going to be sticking around.

It is a systems that has worked well for the last 4 years without problems.

kimbelina
24-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Yeah, I suppose that makes sense :)

I wasn't complaining though, just interested in the reasons :blush:

Avon
24-03-2010, 11:08 AM
:) I wil have to remember this as I increase my count!