PDA

View Full Version : do any of you do pick ups cus' parents don't drive?

candy cat
24-02-2010, 12:32 PM
I have had enquiry for 1 yr old. But parent doesn't drive so I mentioned I may beable to pick up......what would yo charge for this? 10 min round trip. This would be my first mindey as really quiet so can't be too choosy,but I also don't want to get taken for a mug. Your views would be very much appreciated :)

miffy
24-02-2010, 12:43 PM
I've never done home pick-ups. It might be OK for a while as you're quiet but what about in the future if you have other mindees who need dropping off when you're collecting this mindee?

If you offer pick-up I'd make it clear that it may need to be looked at again if you get other work.

Good luck

Miffy xx

patevans
24-02-2010, 12:45 PM
I did this once because I was "quiet" and needed the money but as time went on it became a complete and utter pain in the :censored:

I now dont ever count on having the car for childminding because things happen i.e in the garage etc

nikim
24-02-2010, 12:51 PM
i would definatley charge her from the time you leave the house to collect plus petrol costs etc i charge £5 for pick ups and drop off and dont go any further than 4 miles , have a long think about it though how would you feel in bad weather , the impact it will have on other children in your care and wether or not they will be sleeping eating at that time , it may be an idea to make sure she understands that you will need to review it on a monthly/termly basis hth

candy cat
24-02-2010, 01:22 PM
brill thanks cx

Probey9
24-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Not something I ever wanted to start, just think about it carefully as it is your first one. Things will pick up and then your stuck, just think things through before making your final decision.

candy cat
24-02-2010, 01:44 PM
I think your right it is really frustrating as so quiet!

yummymummy
24-02-2010, 02:31 PM
I did this once because I was "quiet" and needed the money but as time went on it became a complete and utter pain in the :censored:

I now dont ever count on having the car for childminding because things happen i.e in the garage etc

I totally agree with this, I did drop off 3 miles away twice a week to help a mum out. I did it for 5 years and in the end got sick of it as felt so used (she told me that he has such an early bedtime that by the time she got train home, walked from station and got car out to come to me he would be exhausted if she did it every day) It of course had nothing to do with her poor son it was that mum didn't want to do it every day, she would answer the door in her pyjamas every time or grab the child and drag him off to a hairdressing or beauty appointment. I felt so resentful but didn't feel it was my place to lecture her as I was paid to do it and had agreed in the first place but as she wanted 6.30pm drop off I'd had a long enough day by then and just wanted to sit down with my own family!

Ps It may well be quiet now but it is always like this at this time of the year things always pick up at about Easter so try not to panic!

Tracey1
24-02-2010, 05:25 PM
I totally agree with this, I did drop off 3 miles away twice a week to help a mum out. I did it for 5 years and in the end got sick of it as felt so used (she told me that he has such an early bedtime that by the time she got train home, walked from station and got car out to come to me he would be exhausted if she did it every day) It of course had nothing to do with her poor son it was that mum didn't want to do it every day, she would answer the door in her pyjamas every time or grab the child and drag him off to a hairdressing or beauty appointment. I felt so resentful but didn't feel it was my place to lecture her as I was paid to do it and had agreed in the first place but as she wanted 6.30pm drop off I'd had a long enough day by then and just wanted to sit down with my own family!

Ps It may well be quiet now but it is always like this at this time of the year things always pick up at about Easter so try not to panic!

I have done this in the past, and yes charge for it, as well as do a mileage claim.

Regards Tracey