PDA

View Full Version : Settling in

SparklingGems
24-02-2010, 08:25 AM
Settling in period I know we all have our own ways of doing this but Im just not sure what to do. Do you do different settling in periods dependant on the childs age? Do you keep the parent present or just the child? Howe many hours? I was thinking of 2.

Do you have a 4 week time where either party can drop out? Do you fill in a temp contract for this time?

I have somebody waiting for me to be registered. The problem is that I can apply for my NCMA pack until I registered so wont have contracts and just found out I get my first years insurance free. So I will be even more delayed as they have said this pack can take 2 weeks to arrive :mad:

It's a small world
24-02-2010, 08:37 AM
I have a one hour session with the parent . If they wish to leave that's fine. Then 2x2 hour sessions where parents leave but don't go far should they be needed. if parents wish to have a few more I'm happy to obligue (working in partnership with parent ) but at my discretion whether ornot I charge for these hours .after initial settling in sessions I start contract first month is classed as 'settling period' so should parent , child or myself notbe happy contract can be cancelled without any notice.Like you say everyone will be different it's what your happy with but hopefully everyones advice will help you decide how you do it.

singlewiththree
24-02-2010, 11:34 AM
I tend to just have a parent chat for about an hour then I try and go to their house to sign contracts. They then come and chat for about 10 mins and leave the child and then come back a couple of hours later. It really depends on the child. I've had one child who was just brought on day 1 as his mum had left it late getting childcare, I then had another child who had several coffee morning type with parent at my house and then mum gradually left and child had a slow withdrawal mainly for the parent than the child.

I charge after the first 4 hours.

AliceK
24-02-2010, 02:21 PM
None of my 3 mindees have really had a settling in session. I've met them all at the parents visit and then 2 of them just started virtually straight away and my newest one I kept straight after the parents visit for 40 mins, mum went home and left her with me and then she started the next working day. IF I do ever get a settling in session I would just tell mum to go and come back whenever she likes within say 2 hrs. No specific time given, I have nothing to hide and obviously I would have mums mobile phone number in case of anything.

xxxxxxxx

SparklingGems
24-02-2010, 02:26 PM
It good to hear what others do regarding settling in. My son went to a childminder from 6 years and I never had a settling in period with him but then he was older. I just think that for a younger child maybe a settling in period is better as then it eases them in gradually especially if there coming to you full time from being with the parent 24/7.

What do you all charge after 2 hours?

Those of you who dont do settling in. Do you just charge straight away from the first day?

Thanks

AliceK
24-02-2010, 03:47 PM
It good to hear what others do regarding settling in. My son went to a childminder from 6 years and I never had a settling in period with him but then he was older. I just think that for a younger child maybe a settling in period is better as then it eases them in gradually especially if there coming to you full time from being with the parent 24/7.

What do you all charge after 2 hours?

Those of you who dont do settling in. Do you just charge straight away from the first day?
Thanks

Absolutely. If parents choose not to or have not left enough time to do a settling in session then I start charging straight away but have it in the contract that its a 4 week settling in period and can be terminated if not working out on either side which I think is pretty standard.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

emma04
24-02-2010, 04:37 PM
When a parent calls to ask if i have a place. If i have one, i invite them and the child round for an informal chat and play.

If they want to go ahead and take up the vacancy, i arrange for the parent/s to come round at a later date without the child if possible and we discuss and complete the contract to include dates for the 2 free settling in sessions (based on how many hours the child will be contracted...... e.g. A contracted 5 hour day would mean that the child would get 2 free sessions at 2hrs 30min each) At the end of the meeting i do offer parents the opportunity to come round again with the child at anytime, before the settling in sessions commence (by prior arrangement) but that they will need to stay with them.

Some parents are happy for the child to start without settling in sessions, in which case i discount their first invoice by the amount of free hours they would've been entitled to, in relation to the settling in sessions.

Probably sounds complicated, but for a contracted 8 hour day, i would rather the child be unsettled(if they are going to be unsettled) for 4 hours rather than the full 8! whilst settling in! :)