PDA

View Full Version : Assistants

Cazz
23-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Just wondering - how do you go about having an assistant?

1. Do they have to do the ICP course themselves?

2. Obviously they would need a CRB check - how much does it cost for one?

3. I assume you can take extra mindees if you have an assistant - can you have an assistant work with you only on certain days rather than all the time?

I'd never thought about this but having read Gareth's post and someone suggesting he make his wife an assistant, it's got me thinking!

Twinkles
23-02-2010, 10:06 PM
They don't have to do an icp course.

They do need a first aid certificate if you want to leave them in charge while you do the school run.

Theyy do need crb.

You can employ them as little or as often as you like.

Ofsted may or may not increase your numbers if you have an assistant depends on space.

Pauline
23-02-2010, 10:10 PM
There is a whole section on Assistants, you will find some good info in there :thumbsup:

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Cazz
23-02-2010, 10:13 PM
So would Ofsted need to come out again to see an assistant?

If you didn't leave them unattended does that mean they don't need a first aid certificate?

I'm planning on some outings this summer and with my own three kids can't fit them all in the car. I've already mentioned to my mum about coming with us (she would take my kids in her car and I would take mindees), but then I was thinking she should probably have a CRB check. Now I'm wondering if it would be as well to make her my assistant if it means I possibly may not have to turn mindees away on a Tuesday because I am full for my under 5's (but only until September). I've already had to do this twice and if I could take an extra because of an assistant up until September it would be quite useful!

Cazz
23-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Sorry, Pauline - I was typing away when you posted.

I'll have a look at that section - thanks :thumbsup:

Twinkles
23-02-2010, 10:16 PM
So would Ofsted need to come out again to see an assistant?

If you didn't leave them unattended does that mean they don't need a first aid certificate?

I'm planning on some outings this summer and with my own three kids can't fit them all in the car. I've already mentioned to my mum about coming with us (she would take my kids in her car and I would take mindees), but then I was thinking she should probably have a CRB check. Now I'm wondering if it would be as well to make her my assistant if it means I possibly may not have to turn mindees away on a Tuesday because I am full for my under 5's (but only until September). I've already had to do this twice and if I could take an extra because of an assistant up until September it would be quite useful!

They won't need to come out - but there is a form to fill in ( there's a surprise. )
If you're going to have your mum crb checked you may as well register her as your assistant.
She won't need a first aid if she's never left alone.

Pauline
23-02-2010, 10:19 PM
The form Twinks mentions is pinned at the top of the Assistant section that I mentioned :thumbsup:

Cazz
23-02-2010, 10:33 PM
I've just been reading that section and saw the form. :thumbsup:

My first grading inspection is due anytime would it be worth mentioning this to the inspector while she is here or would that confuse/prolong my inspection? (Best speak to my mum first though :D )

twiggy
24-02-2010, 07:21 AM
I got told by an Ofsted inspector to keep a book to detail when you use an assistant and when they are left in sole charge of children. I have my mum, son and husband as assistants (as they don't require paying) I only use one at a time. I had to complete an EY2 form but it was free to add them. I also had to ask for my numbers to be increased when working with an assistant. I would only leave my mum in sole charge of children for a short period of time as she is the only one with first aid training.

Pauline
24-02-2010, 07:24 AM
I got told by an Ofsted inspector to keep a book to detail when you use an assistant and when they are left in sole charge of children.

Yes that is right. Keeping a Sole Care Log is to establish who had the care of the children in the event of any claim for injury etc. against you.

Cazz
24-02-2010, 10:42 AM
So if I made my mum an assistant for occasional use and I had an enquiry for the day that I am full would Ofsted want to come out and visit before they gave permission for an increase in numbers? I would assume if they did it would take a while to find out if you got the permission?

twiggy
27-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Ofsted came to visit me to check I had enough room for my increased numbers. Mine took about 4 weeks to add my mum although it was quicker to add my husband and son as they were already CRB checked by Ofsted.