PDA

View Full Version : Late parent not happy

emma04
23-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Yesterday i had to go to a hospital appointment and had advised parents of this and said that it was up to them as to whether they still wanted to send their child or keep them. (Only have 2)

I was happy to take them with me and this was what was planned. I told both parents that i needed their children to arrive at 8.15am or just after as I was leaving at 8.30am in order to get to the hospital through the traffic.

However one parent called me yesterday morning to say they were keeping their child as she was unwell (bonus and totally fine).

I sent a text to the 2nd parent at 8.07am to say that due to the snow i would understand if they wanted to keep the child at home....NO REPLY

At 8.30am there was no sign of the parent. I left the house at 8.35am and set off for the hospital (this parent has not turned up before and sent me a text 2hrs after they were due, to say they overslept!)

At 8.48am i got a text (i missed a call at 8.47) to say she had arrived at my house with her child and i had left without him. I calmly pointed out that i had asked for the child to be dropped off at 8.15 or just after as i wanted to leave at 8.30 prompt, but then i stupidly apologised even though SHE was late.

Mum then text back to say that she had arrived at 8.30 and i was NOT there! and what was done was done!

My mother in law (who was taking my dd to school) has informed me that she turned up at 8.40 and NOT 8.30 as she is stating....Anyway, i had asked her to be there for 8.15!....NOT 8.30.

I bend over backwards for the parents and the children, i am eternally flexible and this mother shows NO complaint when she collects late!!! (2 hours the other day!!!) nor when i kindly arrange docs appointments and take HER child so that she can sleep during the day (she works nights). :angry:

I hate confrontation and the child is back with me tomorrow and i dont know what to say....I always end up carrying the can and being walked all over.

Advice please!! x

caz3007
23-02-2010, 04:26 PM
I personally wouldnt say anything tomorrow unless she did. I am like you I apologised the other week for being a bit off with a parent when she didnt let me know her son wasnt at school and I hung around in the cold and was worried.

If she mentions it, I would remind her that you specifically asked for the child to be dropped off at 8.15 and hung on as long as you could.

Good luck x

jaja
23-02-2010, 04:26 PM
i would point out that you given advanced notice of what was happening re medical and that you had no advance warning from her to say that you were late and the time you would arrive....and therefore in the circumstances tuff, lol lol lol ....no seriously, just point out that they were late, and thats no your fault enough notice was given....
and then leave it at that....

i dont blame you, i have done it before now, had enough of parents walking all over me .....

hoep this helps xx

Minstrel
23-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Say about what?

I don't think there is anyhting to say! She was late, missed you , and you had to leave. You've apologised already (as you pointed out you had no need too).

I would open the door tomorrow bright and breezy and if she brings it up then state again what you told us. You had asked them to arrive at 8.15 for a prompt departure at 8.30 and she wasn't there!

Good luck xx

emma04
23-02-2010, 04:34 PM
I won't mention it unless she does. As it was i suffered complications and had to have 7 stitches in my arm, so feel pretty rough today and called off all the children last night, that i was due to have today.

I just wish parents would think about all of the things we do to make their lives easier, before they jump down our throats and moan. I question this job everytime someone treats me like this and it's not nice.:(

This mother only gave me a bunch of tulips on Friday for being so kind to her son and managing his asthma so well!! SO! why am i suddenly the worst childminder ever and such an inconvenience!! Makes me mad (can you tell...lol)

Oh and forgot to mention she's on maternity leave anyway and could have kept her son at home!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

Thank you for your prompt replies! x

The Juggler
23-02-2010, 07:13 PM
I won't mention it unless she does. As it was i suffered complications and had to have 7 stitches in my arm, so feel pretty rough today and called off all the children last night, that i was due to have today.

I just wish parents would think about all of the things we do to make their lives easier, before they jump down our throats and moan. I question this job everytime someone treats me like this and it's not nice.:(

This mother only gave me a bunch of tulips on Friday for being so kind to her son and managing his asthma so well!! SO! why am i suddenly the worst childminder ever and such an inconvenience!! Makes me mad (can you tell...lol)

Oh and forgot to mention she's on maternity leave anyway and could have kept her son at home!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

Thank you for your prompt replies! x

sounds to me like she overslept, knew she was in the wrong but felt bad about maybe making you late so tried to make out she was on time anyhow! But please, if you had a hospital appointment and she is at home on mat leave she could have just asked you to collect her lo on way back from hospital surely.

What did you have done to your arm?

miffy
23-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Don't give it another thought - she was late and that's all there is to it.

Hope your arm gets better quickly

Miffy xx

emma04
24-02-2010, 08:30 AM
I had to have the implanon (I do not recommend it!!!) contraceptive implant removed and it became pretty complicated, as it had managed to sink deeply into my upper arm muscle. Not a nice procedure but much better today. Thanks:)

Ps. Mother in question text me this morning to say that lo was still asleep and that she would drop him at toddler group later!.....Another regular occurrance!................I ought to rename my business as 'Scribbles Childcare Drop in Centre!! :laughing:

Probey9
24-02-2010, 10:14 AM
I would say no more to her and certainly don't feel guilty.

emma04
24-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Well, mum dropped lo at toddlers without a word about it. But promptly told me that lo was ready to be potty trained and could i please have a go today!....I'm suddenly the best childminder ever again!!:littleangel: ....

We were very successful and lo produced a wee on the potty and remained dry throughout the day! Sent mum home with my toilet training regime all typed up and she was very grateful!!

This job never ceases to amaze me!!:laughing: