PDA

View Full Version : how do you keep your business running?

newandlearning
23-02-2010, 01:13 PM
hi...

at the moment I have a full timer who won't be with me in sept as he's going to school.. and two term time only mindees who may or may not be here in sept.

I've been trying to live in the moment for the last few months as I'm now paying all my bills plus looking after my own kids on my own .. today however it finally dawned on me that maybe I should be looking to the future abit...

when would you start advertising? am thinking of starting now?
where do you advertise? and does this work for you?

and when would you decide to get an employed job? I have committments with my own LOs needing pick up, care in hols etc etc so don't know the best way of ensuring we are all ok and able to live where we are ...

I've spent sooo many hours getting to a good level of childminding and also feel I offer a good service. so would like to stay in a childcare related job really... xxx thanks for reading... :) .. being self-employed can be a bit scary at times.

The Juggler
23-02-2010, 02:08 PM
absolutely, you can never start too early. I've often had vacancies I've known were coming up in September (with children starting school/mums going on mat leave). You'll often find parents starting back to work at the end of mat leave/going back because children are now in f-time school who look months ahead.

Starting early will give you lots of options to look at.

Good luckx

louised
23-02-2010, 02:41 PM
I'm in a similar position, my 2 full time midees start school in september potentially leaving me with just 2 part-timers 2 days a week, there is no way I could manage financially so I've already started advertising and also looking for a job, I just can't leave it to chance and see what happens. If I was offered the right job now I would not hesitate in giving my full timers notice as they are leaving in a few months anyway.

Tina O
23-02-2010, 03:02 PM
I would be advertising soon as possible.

Some places I have advertised in the past, we all do the local shops, newspaper, nursery, pre-school, doctors etc.... also try......
local churches, as some have parent groups supporting young families and may be able to pass your details on, or the local hospital, (big staffing situation) ask them to put poster up in staff room.

if you don't want to go visiting eveywhere on foot then put together a poster with your details and write a covering letter to the human resources person within a company and stressing how much better it would be for the company if their staff child care was sorted and you can help....etc etc then hit yellow pages and mail out to companies with big numbers of staff eg factories, large supermarkets, it will not cost them to put your info up and it's normally in staff rooms that people talk about childcare problems with their work mates, you may just be what someone is looking for and all for the price of a stamp!

I also have a NCMA car sticker on my car, if I have places I put a post card with contact number next to it so that where ever your car is parked you are advertising.

think 'outside' the box and where others may not have thought of advertising...:thumbsup:

zillervalley
23-02-2010, 03:10 PM
I too have been intouch with a parent who does want the three days that i will be working in september

the only thing is she needs some one in april ( after easter) i told her that i cant do tues morning in april, but will bw able to in september when other mindees start school.

so answer too your question is yes you have to look in the future ay all times. especially this time of year looking on to september

ziller