PDA

View Full Version : Dropping children home?

Mcgons
23-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Just wondering if I should offer this or not. Parent has no car, have 1 full time and 1 before and after school & they stay for dinner, then parent walks to collect them. First day yesterday, and they spent 15 mins messing about putting coats on. Mum said it was bit of a nightmare walking home. They live within a mile and I can drop off after other child gone home.

Does anyone else do this? What do you think about it?

Straws
23-02-2010, 01:07 PM
I wouldnt drop off, a mile isnt that far to walk, I know plenty of minders who walk a mile with children for the school run.

Straws xx

Heaven Scent
23-02-2010, 01:18 PM
NO NO NO - don't ---

I say this because if you have other mindees or other committments that crop up and you have to stop then she will see it as you are letting them down - on the other hand if every now and again you offer to drop them off for her every now and again and I mean now and again - but not on a regular day and not weekly then you will be seen as nice and kind.

bandlady
23-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Do what suits you best. I would offer to take home if it meant that I didn't have the messing about when mum collects. It wouldn't have taken you 15minutes to have put them in the car dropped off and back home and finished for the day.

georgie456
23-02-2010, 01:22 PM
NO NO NO - don't ---

I say this because if you have other mindees or other committments that crop up and you have to stop then she will see it as you are letting them down - on the other hand if every now and again you offer to drop them off for her every now and again and I mean now and again - but not on a regular day and not weekly then you will be seen as nice and kind.

I agree. I was going to say pretty much the same. I have done it for one of mine before when it has been pouring with rain and I have felt too guilty to send him out to get soaked, but would not do it as routine for fear of getting tied into it.

Maguiresmonkeys
23-02-2010, 01:26 PM
I do drop offs at home- when it suits me. And its not written into contract for certain days, etc just if im passing or if it means i dont have parents staying after contracted hours for a 'chat'...iyswim? I also pick up from homes in term time, otherwise they tend to turn up earlier than contracted, but also this is to suit me and if i didnt want to pick up parents would be fine.
Do whats best for you, and if its going to be a regular thing add on a fee so it makes it worth while x:thumbsup:

Joannechildmind
23-02-2010, 01:30 PM
i wouldnt i think parent would rely on you, might cause certain problems like a lot experienced over the snowy weather. Might be more hassle than its worth :)

newandlearning
23-02-2010, 01:36 PM
I've dropped off in past and charged £2 for travel and £2 for the 30 mins trip to do drop off... you could do this and charge.. or do whenever you feel like it... sometimes my parents don't always pick up on time at 6pm and this has lead my 6.30 drop off to be even later.. sometimes you can't always tell if things are going to work for you until you try them...

you could offer the mum a trial period of dropping off.. or get child ready to go for when mum arrives so there's no messing around with coats etc..

I'm sorry if I've confused you more.. I hope I've helped a lil...:blush:

MacFi
23-02-2010, 01:55 PM
I do a daily drop off from my one mindee. The good thing is when you drop off thats it however if they are running late you can hang around outside which is a pain.
I see working with the parents as a partnership and I try and make their life easier. Even drop mum at the tube when its raining!:laughing:

The Juggler
23-02-2010, 02:05 PM
I agree, I've never offered this as a service only as a one -off say, if mum was really sick or something.

from other posts I've seen parents have been not best pleased when the 'service' which is in fact a favour, gets removed.

sillysausage
23-02-2010, 02:16 PM
I've never offered this service and wouldn't start now. Very occasionally I will drop mindees off at home when we've been on a trip out and come back later than they would normally be collected. I think I've taken pity on walking mindees and parents a handful of times when the weather has been atrocious and taken them home if it fits with everything else we do (ie it's the end of the day and they're my last mindees to go), but otherwise you could be making a real rod for your own back. Also there's a lot to be said for making people stand on their own two feet, get themselves organised and walking won't do the children any harm.

Spangles
23-02-2010, 02:19 PM
I wouldn't offer this either but I would get child's coat on ready for leaving next time to avoid the faffing! Ha!

louised
23-02-2010, 02:36 PM
No I wouldn't drop off either, lots of my parents choose to walk when dropping off and collecting, a mile is not far, I wouldn't even offer as a one off as they would start to expect it

Mcgons
23-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Thanks for all your views, probably will not end up doing it.

Mcgons
23-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Does anyone do this and have a positive experience? DH thinks I should offer it, might lose children if they get fed up with the walk. The 3 year old is so tired at the end of the day, and mum told me tonight it takes 1/2 hr to 40 mins to get home.

louised
23-02-2010, 07:06 PM
could she not put the 3 year old in a buggy, lots of children this age are still in buggies, I personally don't use a buggy after the children reach 3 years but all of my mindees have been really good walkers, they don't have any choice really as I rarely use the car and currently have 3 school runs a day. If the mindee is too tired to walk home his mum should put him back in a buggy or maybe she couldget the child to ride his bike and leave it at your house during the day so he can ride it home

carol cameron
23-02-2010, 07:43 PM
I agree with people who have said "do it if it suits you." I drop three children off at home twice a week because I am going straight to college afterwards and I would be going out in the car anyway. It suits me because I am not left waiting for children to be picked up. I don't charge any extra but charge for the time it takes.

The Juggler
23-02-2010, 07:53 PM
I agree with people who have said "do it if it suits you." I drop three children off at home twice a week because I am going straight to college afterwards and I would be going out in the car anyway. It suits me because I am not left waiting for children to be picked up. I don't charge any extra but charge for the time it takes.

yes, I think I would do it in that case too. then you can just knock it on the head when college end.

McGons, tell DH not to worry. If someone likes you and has been coming for a while they are not going to stop for that reason. She can always get the bus:D

Pipsqueak
23-02-2010, 07:59 PM
I do a drop off with one of my mindees but this purely because of the circumstances behind the contract. It works out just fine

BUT I don't think I would offer for my 'normal' contracted mindees unless i was going that way and only on an occasional time on the other hand though i would do it for a fee!

Hebs
23-02-2010, 08:04 PM
well i used to do a 32 mile round trip twice a day to collect and drop off a mindee :laughing: but only cos she was family :thumbsup:

i do offer it as part of my service (no extra charge) works for me :thumbsup:

miffy
23-02-2010, 08:07 PM
You might be able to do it now but what happens if you get other mindees and can't - parent might be fed up then and think you'd let them down.

Miffy xx

Chimps Childminding
23-02-2010, 08:26 PM
You might be able to do it now but what happens if you get other mindees and can't - parent might be fed up then and think you'd let them down.

Miffy xx

I agree!!! I might offer on the ODD occasion if it was chucking it down etc. but I wouldn't offer to do it on a regular basis!! You have to think about extreme weather, do you really want to risk going out to take the child home :panic: , if you take on other mindees, if you have car trouble etc!!

Jelly Baby
23-02-2010, 08:51 PM
I offer to pick up as works best for us and we would both be late if i didn't! BUT she can drop if need be and usually always collects but i will drop home if she is stuck..if i don't want to/can't ill tell her and she's fine.

Ide say no if its just you feeling bad!

terrydoo73
23-02-2010, 09:04 PM
I took on twins last February and part of the agreement was that I deliver them home - reason being I left them back when Dad who is a lorry driver came in from work while mum didn't get in for another 3/4 hour. I also agreed to give them their evening dinner before left them home. I have continued to do this and have no problem with it except I never actually get them back for 6 - they are with me from 8 in the morning so it is 3 very long days! They will be 2 in April and as they get older I think eating time might have to change and will approach this gradually with the parents - this is why I am late getting them home again! Mum at present is off on sick leave as she has breast cancer and I am conscious of not leaving them back home too soon until dad and mum are both present to give each other support.

Mcgons
23-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Guess What?....

After long chat with DH and my mum (I know!) I've ended up phoning and offering to help out for a bit and take kids home, but I will allow for mileage/fuel in the rate. Have said will see how we get on with it but it means that one mindee goes home, and the other two siblings will have tea then I'll drop them home and I think I'll actually find it easier having a set going home time rather than when mum can get here (turned up today before kids had tea as got a lift here). Won't have any more mindees than ones already got as couldn't cope with any more, and filled the spaces I wanted to anyway - I've got 5 including my 2, so hats off to those who do!

Anyway, won't come complaining if it all goes pear shaped - you did warn me!:)

Probey9
23-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Don't think it's a good idea to get into that but I would have the children ready for collection.

Ripeberry
23-02-2010, 10:14 PM
The only time I would pick up or drop off is if the parent had no car as a one-off (garage) or if the parent was so ill, they would be dangerous to drive.
As my mindee's mum was a few months back when she had really BAD flu.

The Juggler
23-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Guess What?....

After long chat with DH and my mum (I know!) I've ended up phoning and offering to help out for a bit and take kids home, but I will allow for mileage/fuel in the rate. Have said will see how we get on with it but it means that one mindee goes home, and the other two siblings will have tea then I'll drop them home and I think I'll actually find it easier having a set going home time rather than when mum can get here (turned up today before kids had tea as got a lift here). Won't have any more mindees than ones already got as couldn't cope with any more, and filled the spaces I wanted to anyway - I've got 5 including my 2, so hats off to those who do!

Anyway, won't come complaining if it all goes pear shaped - you did warn me!:)

good luck then hon!

michellethegooner
24-02-2010, 01:31 AM
good luck, hopefully it will all work out nicely,

I do it occasionally as a favour if 1 parent is working late I will drop off to nursery (mum works there)but it works both ways, I can occasionally drop mindee off at mums work if I have appointment etc used to collect a past mindee as it was on my way back home after school drop off & mum worked from home, seemed silly me rushing home for her 2 get in car and be behind me :jump for joy: