PDA

View Full Version : Scissors

jelly15
23-02-2010, 08:50 AM
At what age can they be given childrens scissors to cut out? My own first played with them at nursery aged 3, can I give them to 2 1/2 year olds?

babs
23-02-2010, 08:54 AM
i have a 2 1/2 yr old who uses sissors, the plastic ones she loves to just cut lines i never leave her unattended thou.. i do try to help her hold them right but get no i do it myself... bless her ....

sandy64
23-02-2010, 09:00 AM
my lo is 3 she has just srarted to use them but ive a mindy whos 2 half asked for them so i gave her a plastic pair whilst using playdoh it will help her fine motor skills but did talk yo mum as didnt want her picking scissors up at home. i would say it depends on child 3 is prob the better age but some struggle at 6

estrelas
23-02-2010, 09:18 AM
My 2 year old mindee can sit for hours cutting paper up with scissors! Didn't even think bout not giving him them

sillysausage
23-02-2010, 09:18 AM
I allow children to 'use' them from about 2 with good supervision. I think the plastic ones are generally useless for paper, but we use them with playdough earlier than 2 yrs. I have good quality children's scissors and because they get regular (almost daily) use I find most of my mindees are confidently using them between 2 1/2 and 3yrs.

haribo
23-02-2010, 09:55 AM
im trying to help mine use scissors they both nearly3 but find it difficult to hold and move them . i think their hands need a certain amount of strength in them first but provided theyre safety scissors and supervised theres no harm in letting them experiment .i love it when they get the hang of it theres so much fun to be had out of cutting paper up :clapping:

grindal
23-02-2010, 10:11 AM
DS1 is just 4 and has recently got the hang of cutting correctly - DS2 is 2 and a half and has a good go at copying him. I would not have given DS1 scissors at this age, but DS2 is managing quite well. Just let them have a try under supervision. If they do not enjoy it they wont want to do it again anyway. As others have suggested playdough is good to try cutting. We also cut up straws and DS2 threads them onto pipecleaners.

singingcactus
23-02-2010, 11:41 AM
I have a huge tub of scissors in the free access area with all my pens, pencils, hole punch etc. I don't have any plastic ones cos they rarely work and it is frustrating for a child to try to cut and fail every time :(. I don't have any age limit on them. I supervise all my children well so they can use them whenever they choose.

Joannechildmind
25-02-2010, 07:46 PM
you can buy safety plastic scissors from ELC my 2 yr old is trying to master them.

Trouble
25-02-2010, 07:53 PM
i gave a 2 /2 year old some scissors to use and she was fantastic with them straight away:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

i was well impressed:D

amanda1309
25-02-2010, 08:12 PM
I gave two 2 1/2 yr old scissors the other day. (hope that makes sense)
1 of them could use them really well the other struggled (they are twins).
It was the first time they had used proper scissors.

dlissaman
25-02-2010, 08:13 PM
I have had two 2 1/2 year olds. One was very good with scissors the other found them difficult.

I always begin scissor skills using card, paper plates and cold coloured spagetti.

ninagee
26-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Any idea from where I can buy teaching scissors? The kid's scissors I have are too big for my 26 month old mindee and she keeps asking to use them. Mum does not have any at home for her to use and when they were visiting during the settling in, the lo saw them on my craft shelf and that was it!

We have had a go with the coloured pasta, playdough, paper plates and other stuff but she is finding them difficult to use and gets very frustrated. I have checked on the ELC website but its the same ones that I have.

Thanks

Nina :)

sweets
26-02-2010, 09:33 PM
i got some great scissors from tescos last year, they are metal so cut properly, cant be doing with plastic ones as the children get frustrated with them as they just dont cut!

the ones ive got have a sort of clip on them that you can put on so that once the scissors have closed on the paper they then re-open automaticaly, you can choose whether or not to put the clip on.

miffy
26-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Any idea from where I can buy teaching scissors? The kid's scissors I have are too big for my 26 month old mindee and she keeps asking to use them. Mum does not have any at home for her to use and when they were visiting during the settling in, the lo saw them on my craft shelf and that was it!

We have had a go with the coloured pasta, playdough, paper plates and other stuff but she is finding them difficult to use and gets very frustrated. I have checked on the ELC website but its the same ones that I have.

Thanks

Nina :)

There are some here

http://www.peta-uk.com/acatalog/Scissors_for_Children.html

Miffy xx

jumpinjen
27-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Hi,

my little one used scissors from 16 months as she wanted to and quickly got the hang of it with close supervision... see my post on my blog, there is a link at the bottom to the scissors we have for the little ones, they are much better for little hands than traditional training scissors!

http://little-blossoms-childminding.blogspot.com/2010/02/scissor-happy.html

Jenni x