PDA

View Full Version : Caring for Disabled Children

Helen Dempster
22-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Hi all

Did anyone get a letter from NCMA recently asking if you would like the opportunity to work with disabled children? There was a questionnaire with it to send back. I phoned them direct, but no answer, so left message but they didn't return my call today. I've emailed about it too, as it's something I'd like to do. Was wondering if any of you lovely people already do this kind of thing, and how you find it?

Pipsqueak
22-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Yes - i am a community network minder - originally set up to cover the gap in providing care for disabled children .
i currently do not have any disabled children on role but several other network minders do - they find it really rewarding, challenging, different.

mushpea
23-02-2010, 07:00 AM
I have worked with a disabled child in the past and he was a lovley child and it was the most rewarding experiance. I also had a letter about 6 months ago and then attended a meeting regarding caring for disabled children and said i would defintaly be interested in offereing respite care but neither i or a friend who attended has heard anything since

happydays1
23-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Hi,I mind a child with additional needs, its very rewarding and i really love this part of my job. It has also been alot of hard work, doing training and getting everyone working in the same direction, but i would say i have been lucky to be reconized as a professional person and not just someone who stays at home looking after kids:clapping:
What i would say is look into doing some training, fully research and be sure what you want to offer etc, can you make changes to your enviroment, can you offer one to one care, can you care for a child with additional needs without it affecting your other mindees care.
Sorry to be long winded but i feel its something you really have to think about, its a lot of hard work but if you can do this its the best job in the world (i think):thumbsup: :)

teacake2
23-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Yes I have looked after a little one with multiple additional needs, he is now nearly 5 and attends school, he is still not able to walk unaided and has very poor communication, small bit of spoken words and some signing. It has been challenging sometimes mainly due to getting all the agencies involved in his care to work to-gether, I live in one county and he lives in the next, only seperated by 1 mile though. One county says he can't have this because of the other county, you get my point I am sure. I couldn't even get a ramp to help me get him out into the back garden, I have 2 steps down. He is a big boy for his age and quite heavy, so I usually had to wait for some help, but we managed it some times.
It is very rewarding when they do something that is totally unexpected and makes you feel very proud, I know we all do with our other mindees, but somehow it is just that bit extra special. I was able to access quite a bit of training e.g. manual handling etc, but not until I had had him for about 3 years when I could have done with some ideas before, but still better late than never and I will be prepared if I am asked to look after another child.
Sorry for the long reply, but I think that if you can do it then go for it.:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Teacake2